Video tutorial for capes?

I don't know of any good vids, and can only share what I've learned personally, BUT, the biggest improvement in my capes came when I moved to a poor mans "wet blending". By that I mean, painting the cape in the traditional, step-by-step (Base, Shade, Layer, Highlight) way, but not stopping to allow the paint to dry.

My process. 

Spoiler

Base 1 - This is the only colour I allow to dry as the shade will strip it right off.

Shade - Heavy or light however you like it.

Base 2 - 2nd coat base colour, dipping in and mixing with the shade about half way into the shade, leaving unmixed shade in the middle.

Layer 1 Colour 1 - Same deal, paint halfway through the new base layer, but not all the way to the base/shade mix.

Layer 2 Colour 2 - Same deal, paint halfway through the 1st colour layer, but not all the way through the previous mix mix. (This step could also act as your first highlight layer).

Highlight 1 Colour 1 - Bottom of the cloak to 2/3rds the way up.

Highlight 2 Colour 2 - Classic edge / corners only highlight.

Check out this Trajaan Valoris, he's a commission piece I did, using this method, I went the extra step of adding the final highlight as a textured method vs. straight highlighting.

PSX_20220718_134548.jpg

and a more traditional Inquisitor Coteaz,

PSX 20220427 095136

I don't have a video recommendation, but your mobile phone can be one of your best tools for cloth or for highlighting and shading any irregularly shaped object.

You'll need:

• Some white paper
  • Something to prop up the paper behind the miniature
  • Something to prop your phone up with to avoid shaking
  • Your miniature primed black
  • Some reasonably strong lighting

Get a picture:

• Set your miniature up on the paper with it bending up behind it so you have a white background for it
  • Set up your phone on a stand or prop so that the miniature is central in the image and there is only white in the background
  • Turn off your flash on your phone camera and set it to timer mode, 3 seconds is fine
  • Take your picture

Edit your image:

• Crop the image to size with just the miniature in and a small border around it
  • Edit the brightness so you get some really stark contrast showing up

You now have a reference image for how light naturally falls on the surface you're painting

The pics I've taken were of the only model with lots of cloth I had handy and it took me less than 5 minutes to get them done and edited.

1083100821_PXL_20220818_1016314874.thumb.jpg.7b1bad979679775f2850e8825a55862e.jpg336100565_PXL_20220818_1016314875.thumb.jpg.e3dbdb205216deab0b7d5c4012cb43ca.jpg

You'll see that the shading in the recesses is very stark immediately beneath any fold with a gradient to the next fold. 

You can add in a specific light source with a torch or lamp so that the lighting comes from a particular direction, you can also play around with your primer colour and with adding a light zenithal highlight before you take the picture just to exaggerate the effect.

Hope this comes in handy.

Rik