Helmet for the FW MkIII Praetor

Cactus

I have the MkIII resin Praetor model (seen here) and would like to give him a helmet. Obviously the gorget gets in the way of all my MkII or MkIII helmets so I'm hoping somebody else can suggest a helm that might fit.

Edited by Cactus
Broken link

52 minutes ago, Cactus said:

I have the MkIII resin Praetor model (seen here) and would like to give him a helmet. Obviously the gorget gets in the way of all my MkII or MkIII helmets so I'm hoping somebody else can suggest a helm that might fit.

Maybe one from the Iron Hands Medusan Immortals?

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 14-35-13 Iron Hands Medusan Immortals Forge World Webstore.png

Hi Cactus! 

Your topic actually made me look for this miniature, as I find it a great sculpt that I've always had on my wish list. Weirdly enough, I have not found many helmeted versions of it,  but here are some examples stolen from google search (all credit to their respective owners) :

Screenshot_20220816_163839_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.84d4884022907281834d56bcca22896d.jpg

Screenshot_20220816_164629_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.c522b9a449fdc3351a60f36c29e39c81.jpg

Screenshot_20220816_164921_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.284d30c8829af5c0d354a3f132117958.jpg

The first one is a helmet from the Emperor's Children phoenix terminators,  second is from the Forge World Templar Brethren kit and the third is from a MkII officer. As you can see, the latter two are raised above the gorget as it seems to be too tight to fit most helmets. The Iron Hands helmets suggested by Wolf Guard Einar might work, but I think that specific kit has all helmets molded into the bodies (egghead miniatures is a FW bits seller that works great to see how FW infantry kits are designed and which bits are separated). 

One option could be to try to shave a bit the back of the collar to see if you can gain some space. Alternatively, if you're not against 3rd party bits, kromlech has some MkII/MkIII lookalike helmets that are a bit thinner than GW versions and might fit inside the gorget:

https://bitsofwar.com/home/740-legionary-heads-iron-pattern.html (they also have a version with crests should you be interested

I have these helmets as well as one phoenix terminator helmet somewhere in my bit box, if you're interested I can try to find them to snatch a pic to compare :thumbsup:

Edited by Elzender
Adding some alternatives for helmets

I was looking at the parts again a few minutes ago and am considering shavng down the back of a helmet (the high collar is a bit too delicate for me to risk cutting into) so it sits a bit further back.

Thank you for the excellent image search! My friend has confirmed that the Immortals are indeed a single piece bodyhead but those pictures prove that 'chin over the gorget' isn't necessarily a bad look. The model also has a bit more forwards lean than I thought so that position is more 'jutting forwards' than 'gazing upwards'.