Playing 40k with Titanicus models?

Valkyrion

I have no real interest in adding AT to my gaming menu as I really want to focus on 40k and AoD, but I thought it might be fun to pick up a few of the tiny titans and play a game of 40k with them.

Obviously I'd need some smaller terrain too, but that aside does anyone have any tips for downscaling? e.g, should we change inches to centimetres or something?

Are the Aeronautica Imperialis the same scale as AT?

AT and AI are the same scale yeah, specifically 25% of 40k or 6-8mm scale, 10mm at the outside for terrain.

Inches to CM im told works alright for downscaling whilst remaining sane :D 

I really cant recommend Titanicus enough though, its the best game GW produce, substantially better than 40k and AoD in particular.

Not helpful, but reminded me I did this as a kid, 2nd Ed 40k w individual epic marines (each had a lil circle base if you didn't stick them into unit trays). Stuck on pins, played on a polystyrene board.

Travel 40k, size of a book. Even had a few tiny 5mm dice. Crude effort. Could prob do it nicely now w magnets, tiny kill-team board.

We did a similar thing with Warhammer Fantasy and Warmaster, it was great fun.

unfortunately someone found out that Teclis had an ability made all of his spells infinite range, and then used the Lore of Heavens (lightning magic) spell that was usually "every enemy unit within 12" and LoS". Well he stood on top of a hill and let loose hitting pretty much everything in the opposing army with 2d6 S6 hits, and then did it again next turn, there weren't many answers to that :oops:

It should be really enjoyable, just look out for weird interactions.

Rik

If I was going to do it I'd only do it with things like the titans and the aircraft, things that don't really have codex support, so I don't think there'd be that many weird interactions.

Given that a warlord titan is about 5000 points though, to make it worth while we'd probably need something like 20,000 points a side, which sounds insane but is only really about 6 models...! What would you play it on? 40k suggests 44x30 for every 1000 points, so just times that by 10 or something? 20,000 points on a 44x60 and convert every inch to a centimetre?

The sad truth there is that 40k rules for big models are simply bad, while Titanicus rules are absolutely terrific and well worth a shot if you get even just those six or so models (a normal game of AT would usually have 4-6 models per side, but 3 vs 3 is already a viable game).

Search “Pocket 40k” and you will find some good advice and background on this. Unfortunately I discovered this too late to buy epic tanks or jet bikes etc at any reasonable price, which is what I would have loved.

But I echo above - the Titanicus rules are really good and the starter set such a good deal, there’s no good reason not to try them out if you like the look of the models.

There's a pretty healthy Epic 30/40k community online, where they use updated Epic Armageddon rules with Titanicus, Aeronautica and (3d printed) infantry and vehicle models. I had a friend print me an army of HH White Scars, so that I can use them along with my Titans for Epic or as a tiny 40k travel army. 

And those 3d printed tanks are incredibly detailed and look seriously cool!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 2:52 AM, Kenzaburo said:

There's a pretty healthy Epic 30/40k community online, where they use updated Epic Armageddon rules with Titanicus, Aeronautica and (3d printed) infantry and vehicle models. I had a friend print me an army of HH White Scars, so that I can use them along with my Titans for Epic or as a tiny 40k travel army. 

And those 3d printed tanks are incredibly detailed and look seriously cool!

That is exactly what our group did-AT/AI + 3rd party epic scale minis. for speed of play we like to use the index 8th edition rules limited to the original 3 strats for every army. for a 7-10K game at that scale it still only takes a couple hours. 

It is great that you get to use all the toys (including all the cool FW stuff) in your army at 1/4 (or less) the cost of a 28mm army. transports/artillery also take on the role they were intended  when you are using a 6X4 or 8X4 table at that scale. 

0zYTbMy.jpg

IbZ8jZ2.jpg

Whenever you see threads like this it always makes you realise how much GW are dropping the ball by not having Epic available as a currently published game. I think so many people look at a 40k mass combat, all the tanks, super heavies, knights etc and think "that would work so well at AT scale!" :biggrin:

I will repeat what a few of the guys above have said, if you have AT then those rules I think are much more interesting than the rules introduced for 40k, which are more basic and were probably just added as an afterthought to allow people to use what were intended as display/modelling pieces in a game.

Or pocket 40k, or even better one of the Epic rulesets (NetEpic or NetEpic Armageddon are downloadable for free) are better at representing that scale of warfare than the 40k rules.