Alpha Legion Headhunter 2000

Vostroi

Hi this is my first post and my first army. 

The strategy is to spread out with small units and and infiltrate most things. Run away from most things and keep a harrowing distance. Chasing any unit should leave you vulnerable to other units. The pyroclasts will probably use the AL advanced reaction for some relocation shenanigans. The shotgun recon squad is there just as a cheap line and speed bump. 

Seems able to take down dreads and HQs with all the melta, rending and precision shots. Seems vulnerable to mass cheap infantry. 

Please let me know your takes and opinions!

Primary Detachment 
Rite of war: Headhunter Leviathal

3HQ 2Elite 6troops 2Fast

Rewards of Treachery 

Elite

Pyroclasts 175pts *Saboteur goes here*
additional 5 150pts
Warden with powerfist 20pts
345pts

HQ
Centurion Delegatus 60pts 
Warlord Trait: Master of Lies 
Delegatus upgrade 25pts
Nemesis bolter 10pts
Power Dagger 5pts
100pts

Centurion Saboteur 60pts *Deploys with Pyroclasts to give them infiltrate*
Saboteur upgrade 15pts
Nemesis bolter 5pts
Power dagger 5pts 
85pts

Centurion Vigilator 60pts *Deployment optional, can give scout or infiltrate to either the tacticals or the command squad*
Vigilator upgrade 35pts
Power Dagger 5pts
100 pts

Troops 
Tactical Marines 100pts
10 additional 100 pts
Augury scanner 10pts
210 pts

Reconnaissance Squad 85pts
Shotguns 0pts

Reconnaissance Squad 85pts
Augury Scanner 10pts
Nemesis Bolters 50pts
145pts

Scout Squad 65pts 
Augury Scanner 10pts
Nemesis Bolters 50pts
125pts

Headhunter Kill Team 125pts 
Multi Melta 20pts
Headhunter Prime Artificier Armor 10pts
Headhunter Prime Inferno Pistol 15pts
170pts

Headhunter Kill Team 125pts 
Multi Melta 20pts
Headhunter Prime Artificier Armor 10pts
Headhunter Prime Inferno Pistol 15pts
170pts

Fast Attack
Seeker Squad 105pts
Seeker Sergeant combi disintegrator 10pts
Artificier armor 10pts
Augury Scanner 10pts
135pts

Seeker Squad 105pts
Seeker Sergeant combi disintegrator 10pts
Artificier armor 10pts
Augury Scanner 10pts
135pts 

Elite
Contemptor Dreadnought 175pts
Gravis Power fist with built in graviton gun 15pts
Gravis Melta Cannon 5pts
195pts

The Saboteur can't join the Pyroclast squad - he can only join Headhunters and Seekers. Not only that, he can't use False Colours if in a squad either. He's designed as a lone wolf infiltrator to pop a tank.

I'll have to rethink my entire strategy which was supporting this big pyro unit. 

I was under the impression that if a single model in the unit has infiltrate then the whole unit gains it. I'll have to check when I get home tonight how IC works in the context of deploying. 

Also yes I know the false flag rule requires the IC to be alone to work but since he has smoke bombs I figured putting him in a combat unit with his cheap sniper rifle. 

it's the Saboteur and his particular rules that lock the units he can join.

Not only this but Infiltrate is not conferred to units by independent characters and vice-versa. This is specifically called out in the AoD rulebook. This also means your plan with the Vigilator doesn't work.

Your best bet is to take Dynat as an HQ and then you can nominate the Pyros as one of the 3 units to give Infiltrate to.

Edited by ashc

We had a discussion in another thread in the tactica subforum, but the consensus at the moment is that Scouts with sniper rifles are pointless - I suggest you save 20 points somewhere (maybe drop an augury scanner from the tac squad, or one of the inferno pistols) and switch them out for full recons. For 20 points more you lose 1" of movement and Move Through Cover, but gain a 3+ save.

7 hours ago, newmajorpanic said:

We had a discussion in another thread in the tactica subforum, but the consensus at the moment is that Scouts with sniper rifles are pointless - I suggest you save 20 points somewhere (maybe drop an augury scanner from the tac squad, or one of the inferno pistols) and switch them out for full recons. For 20 points more you lose 1" of movement and Move Through Cover, but gain a 3+ save.

Not only that but Recon squads have the precious Line rule where Scout Squads do not

Dynat does seem to be the way to go for this type of army and I do love his rules and model. The only thing is that I generally prefer not having named characters in my builds as I like to think of this army as my own company and write some lore for my generic HQs. 

Hey, I'm building a similar list and I suggest the following:

--- HQ ---

Centurion, kitted out as per your taste (warlord, headhunter leviathal, master of lies)
Exodus
Exodus (if points allow)

--- Elites ---

5x Lerneans, 2x chainfists, 3x powerfists
5x Lerneans, 2x chainfists, 3x powerfists

--- Troops ---

5x Recon marines, nemesis bolters, augury scanner
5x Recon marines, nemesis bolters, augury scanner
10x Headhunters: artificier armour, 3x combi-meltas, 6x combi-grenade launchers, multimelta
10x Headhunters: artificier armour, 3x combi-meltas, 6x combi-grenade launchers, multimelta

--- Heavy Support ---

Leviathan with siege drill and claw, drop pod

Game plan:

Deploy the recon marines; with exodus in one of them, (if you can find the points I'd squeeze in another Exodus to go in the 2nd recon squad) as backfield objective campers with good field if view. Perhaps so that the two exoduses (so that the Exodii don't need to move and get to use S7 Ap1 pinning brutal(2) shots, (sayonara warlords!, hehe)) can overlap the field of view. Make sure you get use out of master of lies in the beginning of the game so that your recon marines with the exodii get field of view to juicy infantry target that is deployed footslogging. These keep your home objectives and pop characters once The leviathan or headhunters have popped their transports.

Lerneans (being Line) take and hold forward objectives and/or help Leviathan to crack open vehicles. headhunters pop vehicles together with the Leviathan that you drop in front of the opponents deployemnt as a distraction carnifex while the rest of the army get the objectives.

Priorities are: pop transport vehicles with headhunters and the leviathan, pin the most threatening units with your the exodus/exodii pop the characters (warlords (gives 2 VP in HH leviathal), apothecaries, master of signals etc) with headhunters.

I agree that the 100p for a dreadnought drop pod is alot, perhaps you one should consider spend the points on two contemptors instead of the drop podded leviathan.

The combigreande launchers synergise well with the multimeltas, however you lose out on the 6+ breaching but can keep a healthy distance to enemy close combat units while giving them S5 shots at 24" range.

5 hours ago, ashc said:

I quite like your list here Imren, although I feel like those recon squads are incredibly fragile at 5 man as your only line units, but maybe I'm wrong!

The more I think about them, the less I'm worried. 72" range, and they almost always count as being 8" further away when targeted thanks to Shroud Bombs and the AL trait. That's really quite excellent.

On 8/25/2022 at 9:38 PM, Slips said:

Lerneans Terminators also have Line.

Good catch, easy to forget!

They are a little slow being forced to use Flanking assault