Covenant of Fire troops

Vostroi

Rite of war: covenant of fire

"Pyroclast squads and tactical support squads that include any models with the dragon's breath flamers may be chosen as troops choices in a detachment using this rite of war and gain Line. "

My question is why does it mention support squads may be taken as troops when they are already troops? Can this be interpreted that they can be picked as compulsory troops given that they normally have the support rule? 

My interpretation is to say they cannot be compulsory troops and it just an awkward phrasing to say they both gain line. 

I would love to be able to fill my two compulsory choices with cheap flamer squads tho instead of the expensive pyroclasts. 

For the moment, I would treat it as the same as what SkimaskMohawk says. RAW, they basically just gain the Line. This is something that I wouldn't be surprised if they meant to have them lose the Support Squad special rule, but until it's more concrete, best to play it safe. That's what I'm doing for my lists.

Second this, they probably meant to say they can be selected as compulsory troops but left out the word compulsory by mistake. There are plenty of examples of other Legions getting their unique unit choice as compulsory troops.

So as the current rules stand, they only gain line and are still support squads.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 4:48 PM, Vostroi said:

Rite of war: covenant of fire

"Pyroclast squads and tactical support squads that include any models with the dragon's breath flamers may be chosen as troops choices in a detachment using this rite of war and gain Line. "

My question is why does it mention support squads may be taken as troops when they are already troops? Can this be interpreted that they can be picked as compulsory troops given that they normally have the support rule? 

My interpretation is to say they cannot be compulsory troops and it just an awkward phrasing to say they both gain line. 

I would love to be able to fill my two compulsory choices with cheap flamer squads tho instead of the expensive pyroclasts. 

'cause this whole edition is the biggest mess since IA11v1?