Tau Engineer, Help crafting a more in depth Character

TechCaptain

What I have is below, Let me know what you think and where is a good place to go from here. 

Fio'Vre O'Shera, Tau Engineer

Fio'Vre O'shera was a brilliant Earth Caste Engineer belonging to the separatist Farsight Enclaves, however, she became disillusioned with the teachings of Farsight and was enamored with the concept of aiding the Greater Good. Knowing that to return to the Empire meant interrogation...or worse, she stole a shuttle and fled the Enclaves, where she was captured by agents of Inquisitor Adahm Klerixus within the Ishtar Fringes of Sub-Sector Ishtar. Brought before him she was given a choice, aid him in his mission or accept death. In the Inquisitor, O'Shera finally found an opportunity to aid the Greater Good, albeit in the name of the Imperium rather than the T'au Empire. Without hesitation, she pledged to Inquisitor Klerixus her service and loyalty. Not that he was a trusting sort he also secretly put controls in place in case she ever betrayed him.

Wargear

Earth Caste Builder Drone

DX-11 Exploratory Drone

Stealth Suit XV-15

Pulse Pistol

• 2 weeks later...

An earth caste having and using an XV-15, particularly far apart from the Tau empire, is a little much imo. The drones are fine, its easy to assume they are kit she brought with her; the only issue would be replacing them.

It'd be interesting if, throughout her story progression, she has to turn to modifying imperial tech to replace her supplies. Throw a Tech Adept in the retinue for some particularly spicy banter

37 minutes ago, sitnam said:

An earth caste having and using an XV-15, particularly far apart from the Tau empire, is a little much imo. The drones are fine, its easy to assume they are kit she brought with her; the only issue would be replacing them.

It'd be interesting if, throughout her story progression, she has to turn to modifying imperial tech to replace her supplies. Throw a Tech Adept in the retinue for some particularly spicy banter

What would you suggest she be armed with? And in the Retinue of an Ordo Machinum Inquisitor, is an Artificer (Techmarine/Chaplain), a Durkari Pirate, a Skitarii, and a Hive Ganger Mercenary. With a decent Ranking Techpriest on staff but not in retinue. hehe. 

Also I like the idea of her having to sub in Imperial Tech. 

Edited by TechCaptain

I'm not sure. I think a mix of tau and imperial armor pieces could work; perhaps a modified refractor field? If she is supposed to be the techy member, then a pulse pistol should be fine.

Perhaps as she continues service she can pick up combat skills she wouldn't of gotten as an Earth caste

hmm, Maybe a Custom Carapace Armor with built in Stealth field of her designed based off the Stealth suit, with a displacement field upgrade. (She is supposed to be the most Tech focused of the group and least combat experienced. 

On 8/27/2022 at 2:59 AM, TechCaptain said:

O'Shera finally found an opportunity to aid the Greater Good, albeit in the name of the Imperium rather than the T'au Empire.

This is interesting. I like the inherent tension between a T’au wholeheartedly committed to bettering the universe and their being in an actively hostile and distrustful culture which is generally far, far further from that Greater Good than anything they’ve known before. There’s a lot of space there to explore the psychology of the character and how they adapt to that environment, especially considering the actions an Inquisitor might take in the name of the (small ‘g’) greater good. I’m here for it.

That said, I do think it’s a little funny that she decided against going to the Empire to avoid “interrogation...or worse” and ended up with the Inquisition instead :biggrin:

3 hours ago, TechCaptain said:

hmm, Maybe a Custom Carapace Armor with built in Stealth field of her designed based off the Stealth suit, with a displacement field upgrade. (She is supposed to be the most Tech focused of the group and least combat experienced. 

Something along those lines would make a lot of sense. In particular it’s nice that you get a bit of a visual metaphor there, with the T’au character fusing their own technology and knowledge with an Imperial base to make something new that still suits the original design’s intent. It's something that can evolve and change with time too.

So here is most of what is in the Inquisitor's article. And yea I mean for her to be the most naive member of the retinue and possibly the youngest. She in particular is being manipulated and is being shown only the best parts of the crew and the Inquisitor in an effort to sugercoat everything for her. Just how their initial meeting went down I don't have a great idea other than she stole a small transport and the Inquisitor's ship picked it up. 

Now that I have a basic idea for her Armor, now I am going to go into more depth like I did for the Inquisitor. 

Edit: Oh and you can bet she does not get along with the Durkari who sees as an easy mark to torment. 

Edited by TechCaptain