Possible daemon allies?

Tokugawa

The 9th daemon codex is released, and we could introduce one daemon detachement without breaking DG faction rules, the same as rumored.

But there are also some limitations:

1. This detachement must be all Nurgle(of course!). Detachment CP tax must be paid.

2. No more than 25%PL(not points, weird). With some tricks (e.g. a 5 men plague marine unit is 6PL but a 6 men unit is PL12), we could jam in slightly more than 500pts daemon units if we need. 

3. Nurglings don't count towards the minimium requirement of a detachement. Also, they are not Obsec now. 

4. The "teleport to inches equal to enemy models LD away" rules won't work since the army is not pure daemonica. 

thoughts?

received_3338750969785248.jpg.23ed4a1dbadb8e34d3018f78f0986457.jpg

Hmmmm. For fun I would really like to cram a great unclean one with a bell and some plaguebearers into a list. But for the meta/crunch, it would probably the strongest herald, which is the Scrivener based on the leaks/leakers, gives Plaguebearers/drones +1 to hit, reroll 1's to wound AND can give plaguedrones obsec or Plaguebearers count as double for obsec. Then just add in drones and Plaguebearers to fill it out.

Super weird they did it in PL and not points. I hate PL, and don't they update PL even less then points? But good news is if the codex turns out to be broken and some units get point increases, then hopefully the PL remains the same haha. 

@angrom I haven't looked at all the spells and strats yet, but if the only keyword they are looking for is nurgle then yes, but since they added the whole new fancy keyword for them I doubt it. 

Nothing immediately jumps out as a must take, but at least we finally have some new units to play around with!

There are a few abilities and spells that key off the enemies Toughness which have great synergy with Death Guard's Contagion of Nurgle.  In Particular the Shriveling Pox spell is a targetable -1T with 18 inch range, the the Sloppity Bilepiper's Stratagem to deal MWs by rolling over their T value.  The Bilepiper's ability to turn off ObSec or Actions is also great as DG have limited options for this.  

Beasts sound like Fun, and will be great at drawing heavy firepower away from our more valuable DG Targets.  T6, 7W 4++ Deamon Save, Regeneration! Plus they are no joke if they reach combat, with 6 attacks at S6 AP-2 D2 and 6s to W do 2MWs, and a Strat to prevent Fall Back!  The only problem with these guys is that the Model Sucks.  I bet the internet is flush with 3rd party alternatives before Halloween!  

The downside for Death Guard is that Nurglings don't get ObSec and more importantly can't be used to fill the compulsory troop slot in a Daemon Detachment.  That means compulsory troops will need to be expensive Plaguebearers or you'll be spending 3CP for the detachments without compulsory troops.  That said, the ability to forward deploy Nurglings and deep strike some Plaguebearers might help offset DG's biggest weakness, and the offensive psychic support also has good synergy with DG.  

Yeah the new beasts model is amazing just expensive 

Would love to include some beasts in my death guard somehow just hard working something out with how expensive everything is and being only 25% does suck

Beasts  and plague bearers with my plague marines and death shroud would be awesome just shame plaguebearers are set at only being 10. Also hope the FW DG stuff gets updated not long after codex us released as Mamon and Corbax are such amazing models and hope to still be able to use them with the new codex 

Edited by Plaguecaster

On mission map "recover relics"(No. 11), you can't receive the default 1CP per turn unless you control an objective outside of your own deployment zone. Since DG codex don't have any forward deploy units, it is very awkward when drawing this map, equal to -1cp when going first, -2 when going second.

Allied nurgling could fix this problem. But you can't really expect more than this. They provide exactly 1 function to DG which DG don't own before: turn1 forward deployment. And imo any serious game plan can't count them as "survived" after turn2.

Edited by Tokugawa

I'm Curious how much Allied Daemons could benefit a Terminus Est Assault Force.  The Allies rule does appear to negate the AOR requirement that the army be only Death Guard units.  Beasts of Nurgle add some much needed bulk and Drones can add the speed factor lost due to the No Vehicles restriction.

10 hours ago, MCB82 said:

I'm Curious how much Allied Daemons could benefit a Terminus Est Assault Force.  The Allies rule does appear to negate the AOR requirement that the army be only Death Guard units.  Beasts of Nurgle add some much needed bulk and Drones can add the speed factor lost due to the No Vehicles restriction.

Unlike other death guard builds, Terminus est is much more thirsty on early game CPs. The 2-3CP ally tax will wreck its turn1 plan.

5 hours ago, Verbal Underbelly said:

From a hobby and lore point of view we can have our mixed bag of Nurgle back. I've been playing Death Guard since 4th edition (yes I know it wasn't s faction back then) and always fielded groups of plague marines and blobs of lesser daemons. Looked rad on the battlefield. 

There are so many daemon units that fit with the theme and lore for my army that I'm going to have to be very careful with that point limit to field them in a friendly game. It will be interesting to see what daemons fit the right niches in what I eventually run for DG.