Investing in Fortifications for my Imperial Fists

Hello everyone! Been slowly building up my Imperial Fists, balancing variety with effectiveness. As I plot out what units I want to do, trying to use as many slots as possible without spilling over, I look at Fortifiations.

Imperial Fists seem perfect with Fortifications, to the point where it is sad you only get one slot. But I am not even really sure where to START with Fortifications. Most of the old buildings aren't sold, so outside of the Hammerfall Bunker I can't just go and buy something. I am perfectly find with converting, but I don't know dimensions or scale or even which fortification to choose. 

So, the questions I have for you all today:

Which Fortification would you choose and why?
What squads would you embark in them? (I got a Heavy Weapon Squad and eventually a Castellan or a Siege Breaker that seem best)
Does anyone have any dimensions to go by when crafting some of the common fortifications?
Does anyone have any suggestions for easy to get material to scratch build some fortifications? 

Thanks everyone! I am excited to have a full force up and running. Got 1k painted, on the road to at least 3K with Dorn in the mail!

First off, congratulations on choosing the best legion!

Secondly, I picked up the Battlezone Fronteris Hab-Bunker and Stockades set for this very reason. But I have no idea whether that’s technically “correct” as most of the terrain DataSheets seem to specifically refer to now-defunct terrain kits, unhelpfully. I’d be surprised if someone were to object, though.

Mind you, if you’re at all decent at papercrafting, making a box using foamboard/foamcore using WWII bunker emplacements as style guides is fairly straightforward. Just be sure to use a sharp knife, and don’t expect it to be sharp after you’ve finished!

2 hours ago, Magistrix Remiosa said:

Hello everyone! Been slowly building up my Imperial Fists, balancing variety with effectiveness. As I plot out what units I want to do, trying to use as many slots as possible without spilling over, I look at Fortifiations.

Imperial Fists seem perfect with Fortifications, to the point where it is sad you only get one slot. But I am not even really sure where to START with Fortifications. Most of the old buildings aren't sold, so outside of the Hammerfall Bunker I can't just go and buy something. I am perfectly find with converting, but I don't know dimensions or scale or even which fortification to choose. 

So, the questions I have for you all today:

Which Fortification would you choose and why?
What squads would you embark in them? (I got a Heavy Weapon Squad and eventually a Castellan or a Siege Breaker that seem best)
Does anyone have any dimensions to go by when crafting some of the common fortifications?
Does anyone have any suggestions for easy to get material to scratch build some fortifications? 

Thanks everyone! I am excited to have a full force up and running. Got 1k painted, on the road to at least 3K with Dorn in the mail!

Primus redoubt, if you have a spare 700 points to spend, and it takes up a good chunk of space

Primus-Redoubt.jpg.095d4bfe3f7ba6092197e1896efb853c.jpg

I remember being pretty disappointed by the fortification rules in the core book but if you are going for raw spectacle you cant beat the wall sections, you get a few in the slot and they provide cover for heavy weapon teams. 

There are a tonne of resources out there for scratch building but the one that leaps to mind is Eric's hobby workshop here: 

Though hes done a few 40k fortifications and big buildings! 

Id also look into Zorpazorp for definite and probably Mel the Terrain tutor?