Raven Guard 1000 points, ver1.0

jaro1410
Go to solution Solved by Mandragola,

I am starting my Raven Guard army out of the starter box, not planning to purchase any FW models at this stage. I am trying to make a good all rounder for low points (1000). Let me know if I am missing something, or I could use points in a better way.

Legion Praetor 155 pts

Paragon blade

Minor Combi Weapon (Bolter, Volkite charger)

Legion Terminator Cataphractii Squad 220 pts

4 x Two lightning claws

Heavy flamer (+power weapon) 

2 x Legion Tactical Squad 2 x 120 pts

Bayonets

Legion vexilla

Legion Heavy Support Squad 150 pts

5 x Multi-melta

Legion Contemptor Dreadnought Talon 215 pts

2 x Lascannon

That gives 980 points total. For the remaining 20 I was thinking either Artificer armour for Tactical Sergeants or Melta Bombs. 

• Solution

It's cool to try and build a list from the stuff in the starter box. I have some suggestions.

It's true that Deliverers are excellent. You can find their rules in the exemplary battles pdf (on the last page): https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/LCsIqZpsSaQaS5he.pdf

Deliverers are more expensive and, additionally, I'd recommend giving one multimelta guy a chainfist, so they've got a way to kill tanks if needed. Weirdly they aren't allowed a grenade harness, but you don't have one of those anyway.

For the dreadnought I think I'd recommend a gravis melta and Fist rather than the lascannons. Maybe have something like a grav gun in the Fist. It's nice to have that melee threat.

I don't think I'd field a heavy support squad as Raven Guard. For one thing, as a "Heavy" unit they can't infiltrate, which takes away a lot of utility with the rest of your army. Instead I think I'd make something like a recon squad with sniper rifles, giving you another scoring unit. 

I haven't done the maths on whether that works at 1000 points. Hopefully it's not too far off. 

Power lances are interesting but for deliverers I think I’d want those Raven’s talons. They’re tough enough not to have to worry too much about most I4 or 5 attacks that they’ll take, with the possible exception of dreadnoughts - which lances are no use against. Their WS is another defence, making them hard to hit - and of course better at hitting. 

Raven’s talons are just fantastic. Two extra attacks and a very good chance of rending, mean the squad can even go toe to toe with contemptors and the like. They’ll make quite a mess of enemy terminators, who will struggle to hit them and then be unable to cause instant death (assuming you’re loyalist), even with power fists.