Vindicator tactics 2.0

Cadmus Tyro

10 minutes ago, Dark Legionnare said:

@SkimaskMohawkBeen playing myself since late 3rd. (Hiatus'd during 6th and 7th) Help Jog my memory if you can. 

Aside from the "different loadout" shenanigans (I remember the dark days of GK paladins...) wasn't 5th ed "closest model" BUT it had a stipulation for ignoring special/heavy/purchased-w-points by lore-excusing it as "the marine behind his dying squadmate would easily pick up his fallen brother's plasma gun" or such?

As for the topic at large of "casualty removal"  as much as I hated "closest model" first when I first ran into it years ago because I was a dumb kid, I (and friends) eventually adapted to it.  Removing models closest and within line of sight is a very good system. 

(Excluding Rhino-gap-sniping, which I never saw, only heard stories off from either 6th or 7th... But if someone is doing that, why would anybody want to be playing them?  There's a very large, clear line between "smart, tactical landspeeder positioning" to scalpel a sarge and "abusing RAW")

Also, like @Gorgoff said: For the love of everything holy... just give the Vindi's, etc... their large blasts back.

You're thinking of 4th, but still didn't have closest model stipulations. It's basically what we have now, and is where rhino sniping came into play to restrict LOS to only allow the character to be a valid target.

5th also wasn't closest model, it was "resolve all the shooting attacks from the enemy unit, and then allocate them individually to your models, 1 each model can only be allocated 1 until every model has been allocated; everything with the same loadout is basically interchangeable and allows spill through, but anything with a unique loadout takes all their assigned wounds with them". 

Spoiler

So let's say you were playing 5th and has a 5 man combat squad with a flamer, and just needed to survive on the objective. You're wounded with 4 bolts and 2 plasma; you allocate 4 bolts to the 4 normal guys and 1 plasma to the flamer, and as they all have a wound allocated to them, the 2nd plasma goes on that flamer too. The flamer dies, and you take 4 armour saves.

But ya, the compounding nerfs on the vindis is harsh. The blast reduction is huge, but was plausible when brutal actually did spill over. It's kinda obvious the people who did the last couple of changes from the playtest didn't really understand how changing stuff affected the units.

1 hour ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

You're thinking of 4th, but still didn't have closest model stipulations. It's basically what we have now, and is where rhino sniping came into play to restrict LOS to only allow the character to be a valid target.

5th also wasn't closest model, it was "resolve all the shooting attacks from the enemy unit, and then allocate them individually to your models, 1 each model can only be allocated 1 until every model has been allocated; everything with the same loadout is basically interchangeable and allows spill through, but anything with a unique loadout takes all their assigned wounds with them". 

Danke!  They all sort of blend together all these years on.

Also your mention above of the "transport killed with ordnance weapon" rules from 4th brought me back to those old days of taking a vindicator (Fitting for this topic) hit on a rhino and sweating over my buddy's rolls. "Goodbye tactical squad."

3 minutes ago, Dark Legionnare said:

Danke!  They all sort of blend together all these years on.

Also your mention above of the "transport killed with ordnance weapon" rules from 4th brought me back to those old days of taking a vindicator (Fitting for this topic) hit on a rhino and sweating over my buddy's rolls. "Goodbye tactical squad."

Ya the vehicle annihilated was a crazy result lol; basically killed the rhino rush of 3rd and also made ordnance weapons with worse ap still have utility.