Questions about deepstriking and its sequence

Greenmon
Go to solution Solved by Cactus,

Okay, so first I put down my model and scatter it. If it lands 1” away from enemies or impassable terrain its fine, if not then my opponent places the model within 18” of the scattered point. My first question is about the first paragraph of pg 311:

“Once the model’s final position has been decided, the remainder of the unit may be deployed anywhere that is within unit coherency and more than 1" from any enemy model or piece of Impassable Terrain. Any models that cannot be placed are removed as casualties.”

1.       1. Who places the remaining models of the unit?

Do I only place them when my deepstriking model doesn’t scatter within 1” of enemies or impassable terrain? Does my opponent place them when he relocates them within 18”, or do I place them in both instances? The text doesn't mention which player places the remining models.

2. Can I make a line of models in coherency towards the next enemy unit?

2.       It says the unit must be placed within unit coherency and 1” away from enemies and impassable terrain, but there is no maximum distance I can place those models. So could I just line them up in maximum unit coherency towards my enemy like in the following picture?

Deepstrike1.thumb.png.eca3b989a030bd0956cc761608c3f66d.png

Follow Up-Question 2.5: If my opponent places the rest of my unit when he relocates the deepstrike, could he do a similar thing and make a line towards my own battlefield edge?

The next part of the rules explains the difference between a disordered and ordered deepstrike:

“Once this first unit has been deployed, roll a D6. On the roll of a ‘1’, the Deep Strike Assault is Disordered, and the opposing player may deploy each other unit in the Deep Strike Assault anywhere within 24" of the first unit without scattering, though no model may be within 1" of an enemy model or within Impassable Terrain. If the roll is a ‘2’ or higher, then the controlling player deploys each other unit anywhere within 12" of the first, though no model may be within 1" of an enemy model or within Impassable Terrain.”

.        3. If for example I don’t roll a disordered Assault result, the text says that the unit must be placed within 12” of the first unit, but it doesn`t say “wholly within”. So could I place a second unit like in the following picture?

Deepstrike2.thumb.png.0d332a3e9e9d83c2b44b169236dc6899.png

4. If for the 1. Question the answer is that my opponent places my models when he places the scattered first model, and in the case of an disordered result he can place my 2. Unit within 24”, could he do the following?

Deepstrike3.thumb.png.a53e1c80755d1168f56f95da59289859.png

Because for our gaming group this is all “Rules as Written”, but probably not “Rules as Intended” so my gaming group would probably homebrew this.

• Solution

1. I think we can assume that you deploy the models as the rule does not specify otherwise.

The rest, yes I think you're correct. Compared with the 1 in 6 chance of a deep striking unit just being destroyed from earlier editions of 40k, I'll accept some deployment shenanigans if it means the models at least get deployed, and not necessarily all clumped up.

50 minutes ago, Cactus said:

1. I think we can assume that you deploy the models as the rule does not specify otherwise.

The rest, yes I think you're correct. Compared with the 1 in 6 chance of a deep striking unit just being destroyed from earlier editions of 40k, I'll accept some deployment shenanigans if it means the models at least get deployed, and not necessarily all clumped up.

Tbh, I interpret the Paragraph for the 1. question more like that the player who placed the first model, places the rest of the unit too.

46 minutes ago, Brother_Angelus said:

All the placement shenanigans you've proposed are correct. There is a lot of flexibility in the positioning of deepstrikers now. It's somewhat offset by Intercept reactions but generally you can engineer a favourable drop by chaining a unit out.

It just seems so RNG -heavy (I am a new player so maybe its that). If I dont scatter into impassable terrain/enemy units and my assault isnt disordered, I could position myself in a way in which I could force pinning checks for most of my opponents army (especially with Skirmish units with 3“ unit coherency).

If I do scatter and my opponent moves my deepstriking model, and then I roll a disordered assault, my opponent could place most of my deepstriking units within one of my table corners and I would need 1-2 turns to even reach him. 1-2 turns in which his units can shoot mine.

And then the disordered assault chance  can be increased to 1-3 by keeping a Master of Signals on the field. If my opponent keeps that model out of Line of Sight, I will have a hard time removing it before my Reserves arrive.

Basically two rolls will determine the outcome of a large part of my strategy.

On 9/3/2022 at 4:51 PM, SkimaskMohawk said:

It's probably not the intent, but ya, scattering into other units only allows your opponent to place the initial model. 

Another ill thought rule with no ramifications considered.