Chipping black power armor

Either grey or silver metallic seems your best bet, depending on what kind of finish you're after. Single, straight lines on flatter areas and then either the sponge technique and/or tiny scratches for a deliberately 'rough' edgehightling? 

Edited by Lord Marshal

• 4 weeks later...

contrast is the important thing here. i would use silver personally, then a wash to bring it down and blend it in with the black, i avoid grey as i feel it washes out the mini but this depends on how you want to paint your minis, i am a big fan of a more realism style. . i also like to make sure that the rest of the mini is suitably dirty to justify the chipping. :) 

nyrM1en.jpg

Appreciate the thread, as I’ve been agonizing over this for a while. Already used greys in my airbrush highlights so using grey for chipping wouldn’t really pop properly. Silver seems the move, with some sort of edge highlighting of the chips in a light grey perhaps.

3 hours ago, Khornestar said:

Appreciate the thread, as I’ve been agonizing over this for a while. Already used greys in my airbrush highlights so using grey for chipping wouldn’t really pop properly. Silver seems the move, with some sort of edge highlighting of the chips in a light grey perhaps.

if you have done some zenithal highlights with your airbrush that is slightly transparent  you can use the same grey neat as your lighter chips and then silver as the deeper ones. just remember leave the light great on the lower edge to simulate the 3d effect. 

For weathered black, I personally do Black Templar contrast over wraithbone primer, followed by spong chipping of several grays and rhinox hide, and then a wash of streaking grime.

Over metallic areas I spong lead beltcher. 

Edited by Marshal Mittens

2 hours ago, jaxom said:

Oh, that sounds quick and good! Would it be possible to get a picture example?

Of course. I just took pictures of a DA preator I am working on, a random sigmar mini my local GW gave me to test my DA scheme on, and a Sons of Horus Dispoiler I painted a while back. The black looked, uh, brighter, and more grey than it looks in real life in my photo box, even when I switched colors, so I took one on my desk with just my room lights on. 

Edit: I think it looks good. I'm not a great painter, but I am a fast painter. The preator and the sigmar guy were like 2 hours ish total each, and the SoH guy was part of batch painting and has a lot of annoying gold trim that took forever, so probably longer, but not much. It is a very fast way to paint.

20220929_180039.jpg

20220929_175505.jpg

20220929_175517.jpg

20220929_175527.jpg

20220929_175609.jpg

20220929_175619.jpg

20220929_175645.jpg

20220929_175648.jpg

Edited by Marshal Mittens