What makes 40k interesting to you?

CeaselessWatcher

On 12/5/2022 at 3:06 PM, Lazarine said:

I love the lore, and the immense scale of the setting. There is a feeling that 10,000 years of 'future history' has taken place, with most events either obfuscated or forgotten by the time period most of the fluff has been written down. On top of this, with the problems inherent in travelling the Imperium and communicating between planets within the same sector, we can choose the scale of the part of the universe we want to inhabit.

I love the freedom to make the game our own and use the inspiration from the Codexes to craft our own backgrounds. In the 34 years I've been playing, it has been great to create new subsectors and look at time periods only briefly mentioned in the lore. This is the element that has always kept GW heads and shoulders above its competitors.

I've tried a lot of other games over the years, but they've always felt smaller and the progressive storylines always get disappointing after a while, so I hope that the setting doesn't become too focused on the final 2% of the timeline.

I have to agree with you. The setting is big because it hasn't been fully fleshed out. Paradoxically, the more they have explored it (especially with the series set in the "present") the smaller the galaxy seems

• 2 weeks later...

Of course I love the lore, models, and game but at the end of the day what makes Warhammer worth the energy is the collaborative and creative nature of it. I like going to a game store or buddy's and seeing what people have made and sharing what I have made. The game adds a reason to gather beyond that.

I wish GW saw it the same way.

• 1 month later...

I was part of the generation of players who got into 40k as a kid during the transition from 2nd to 3rd edition, but I didn't really get into the hobby fully until GW released LotR. However, it's important to establish that I'm a RPG player first and foremost who also plays tabletop wargames, so my preferences are biased around that.

Others have covered it already so I won't elaborate too much. As a RPG player who also plays tabletop wargames, I've always preferred 40k at the microscale rather then the macroscale: it was the thought-provoking black and white artwork from 3rd edition, Necromunda and Inquisitor as well as the underlying satire of a universe gone mad with grimdark that got me. There were also alot of horror elements in the setting at the time too: the soulless Necrons were the exaggerated reason why humanity feared technology rather then mentally damaged egotists, Daemons were unsettling and vindictive rather then comedic and Genestealers represented everything humanity hated about aliens.

The stage was set that the Imperium was collapsing and was resorting to extremes just to keep going. However, gaps were left on purpose (presented as the Imperium being an unreliable narrator) for the hobbyist to come to their own conclusions and make the universe their own. I grew up reading Kenton and Patrick's work on The Jungle (aka fighting tigers of Veda) and still enjoy reading it 22 years later: if you can look past certain elements, these guys still represent that era's mentality of homebrewing the hobby, making it your own and having fun with it.

That 3rd - 4th edition era of 40k, supported by the depth at the microscale introduced by Inquisitor and Necromunda, made making the hobby your own feel rewarding. You also had to be creative: GW had half the miniatures available and most of those were metal at the time. It was challenging, but rewarding once the end product was on the table. Not to mention the game was far more affordable...

Modern 40k lacks all of that for me. The repercussions of the Chapterhouse Studios court case and changes to game and miniature designs have robbed 40k of alot of its hobby aspects. The feel that the lore established pre-7th edition has also gone into an entirely new direction which is not necessarily to my tastes.

What still keeps me interested in modern times is funnily enough not the dumpster fire that is 40k 9th edition: it's the microscale represented by Inq28, Necromunda and the Wrath & Glory RPG where making the hobby your own within a loose framework is still a big driving force.

Edited by 2PlusEasy

On 1/29/2023 at 6:50 AM, 2PlusEasy said:

What still keeps me interested in modern times is funnily enough not the dumpster fire that is 40k 9th edition: it's the microscale represented by Inq28, Necromunda and the Wrath & Glory RPG where making the hobby your own within a loose framework is still a big driving force.

This. I also don't play 40k proper, and am more of an RPG player and hobbyist. I feel that the precision of modern lore undermines it. I don't care that this or that MK of armour wasn't available to this or that force. What I care about is building the setting from the ground up, and 40k has always allowed that. We will see if it continues to do so within the mainstream WH community

4 hours ago, gideon stargreave said:

This. I also don't play 40k proper, and am more of an RPG player and hobbyist. I feel that the precision of modern lore undermines it. I don't care that this or that MK of armour wasn't available to this or that force. What I care about is building the setting from the ground up, and 40k has always allowed that. We will see if it continues to do so within the mainstream WH community

The precision of the lore now still suffers the unreliable narrator trope so take what you like, leave what you don’t.

Modern 40k lacks all of that for me. The repercussions of the Chapterhouse Studios court case and changes to game and miniature designs have robbed 40k of alot of its hobby aspects. The feel that the lore established pre-7th edition has also gone into an entirely new direction which is not necessarily to my tastes.

I am pretty much in the same boat. i stopped caring about the lore or what GW was doing with the game when 8th ed came out. in fact it was probably midway through 7th when it all started falling apart. losing most of the people who created the universe has not helped as the people running GW now do not even seem to understand the universe they control. 

Cawl and the primaris launch story was the final straw.  i know they are part of the cannon now, i just hate everything about the  back story, i understand the chapter house studio lawsuit made GW go into super copy right/ IP mode and i would have loved it better had they just introduced primaris as the new mark of armor for space marines in true scale. as it largely looks like an upgraded version of MK IV maximus armor, which is my favorite. 

so take what you like, leave what you don’t.

That is the great thing to do, unfortunately for many, straying from the dogma of the most up to date 40K is forbidden as the rule set and game design does not encourage it.  Unlike many other game systems that players do not seem so heavy handed about or the companies leave open or directly support other options. 

I started in 40K way back in 3rd edition. i was never looking to play in a tournament setting or for armies to be equally balanced. if i want that i can play chess. i play the game for epic battles in the 40K universe, thematic armies that do what they do in the lore translated to tabletop.  As long as the game is fun for both players, winning is a bit of "icing on the cake" but far less important.  i am lucky enough to have a regular gaming group that doesn't mind playing older editions of 40K. so i can sit back and be amused by the consternation of players still chasing the GW bouncing ball and be glad i am no longer on that train. 

My 40K is still grim & dark, there is no hope, no respite and no remorse, there are no loyal primarchs, new super advanced weapons or legions of new improved (beyond the skill of the emperor) space marines. the Imperium stands on a knifes edge because in the 41st millennium there is only war!

Let the fun begin!

:fakenopic:

Edited by mughi3

1 hour ago, mughi3 said:

That is the great thing to do, unfortunately for many, straying from the dogma of the most up to date 40K is forbidden as the rule set and game design does not encourage it.  Unlike many other game systems that players do not seem so heavy handed about or the companies leave open or directly support other options. 

To quote a favourite RPG maker of mine on wargamig
"I'm a grow man, I don't want to be told what I can and can't do, I want to be welcomed with open arms and a mug of beer".