How many points is Transport capacity worth?

If a Thunderhawk didn't have a transport capacity, how much cheaper would/should it be, do you think?

Ditto Stormbird and Mastodon, but mainly the Thunderhawk because it is called Gunship after all. 

I find it difficult to place a value on it. Like, if a Rhino couldn't transport anything it'd be worth about 10 points for being a combi bolter that can move 14", but a Proteus is still a durable little lascannon platform even if it couldn't transport anything. Once you get to the 700 point transports you are probably playing a big game where points start to matter relatively less, so....?

It's for a narrative game we're working on, so it doesn't warrant too much overthinking, but it got me wondering what value to put on it. 

Last time it was defined publicly it was 1pt per capacity, I doubt it would be a huge amount more really, though perhaps on really tough vehicles?

Like, 10pts for a rhino is farcical compared to a bike for example, which is probably the closest example and considerably easier to kill :)

• 1 month later...

Let me know if this doesn’t fit with the topic, but what about the comparison of Land Raider to Spartan? The Spartan is now available in plastic not to mention an included item in the HH AoD box set making it much more accessible (and desirable) than it was before. Other than point cost and not being able to be taken in squadrons it’s a superior vehicle to the LR in pretty much every role.. 

What position does this leave the Land Raider in? An in between of the Rhino and Spartan?

40 minutes ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

Let me know if this doesn’t fit with the topic, but what about the comparison of Land Raider to Spartan? The Spartan is now available in plastic not to mention an included item in the HH AoD box set making it much more accessible (and desirable) than it was before. Other than point cost and not being able to be taken in squadrons it’s a superior vehicle to the LR in pretty much every role.. 

What position does this leave the Land Raider in? An in between of the Rhino and Spartan?

I think the Land raider generally occupies the ‘budget Spartan’ category rather than a true in between of a rhino and a Spartan. The Land Raider and Spartan are quite different in role and cost to a rhino to consider them simply tougher transports than a rhino. They can both transport terminators, they’re both much tougher, they’re both assault vehicles and they’re both much better armed than a rhino. 

I think the Land raider definitely has a niche that’s been specifically designed for it. It’s cheaper than Spartan for a start, whilst still being able to transport terminators which makes it ideal for smaller units of terminators. It’s also good for larger units of regular sized marines who want to be in combat like Templar brethren. 

The other thing to consider is that not all varieties of terminators can take a Spartan as a dedicated transport, meaning that if they want one they need to use a HS slot for it. Justaerin for example can take land raider as DT but not a Spartan. This gives value to the land raider as a way of transporting some units without eating up all your slots. 

I generally see the Spartan as the vehicle of choice if you want to go big on a unit like a Primarch death star but it’s kind of overkill if it’s just a small squad of terminators. Whereas the land raider offers a way to still give a smaller unit of terminators a great transport that costs less. Essentially, the Spartan and Land raider are two options in one category and the rhino is an option in a different category rather than all three being an escalating series of transports.