The Leagues of Votan and the Wolves

Filius

Hjolda, I do want to share a little thought …

when Leagues of Votan were first announced I was rattled. I love Duardin and beards and braids and braided beards and celctic artwork and viking-falvour and hammers. So I was affraid that I would want to start a second army besides my wolves, or that I forever would watch the Leagues of Votan as a temptation. But at some point during the last months it totally tipped in the opossit direction. I decided that I wouldn't buy anything Votan (except maybe for kitbashing) and I truely felt the conviction that I do have a great Army with beards and braids and braided beards and celtic artwork and viking-flavour and hammers. And now … the closer the release of the Leagues of Votan is getting, the more I love my Wolves, and the more I would like to work on them …

So that's it. I just wanted to share that.

Edited by Filius

Haha I feel you! I started playing warhammer fantasy with dwarves. When  i wanted to get back in the hobby and discovered that warhammer fantasy was no more i saw it as a chance to start 40k (wich i was always interested in). But ofcourse there where no dwarve.  so here i am, playing space wolves.

i always had the idea to kitbash a custom 40k dwarves army. But didn’t want to do that for my first army.

now i see them being released i have no temptation for colecting/playing them either. I do like that their here. And i do like the starcraft shooty style instead of the closecombat fantasy style wich i was expecting them to be. But i also rather stick to my space vikings!

This is starting to concern me as well. Though I think I will likely end up with a Votan army for some painting variety, especially if the box is a good deal. But the viking with wolf elements has been leaning harder and harder in the wolf direction for a while, and I too am starting to wonder if Votan signal that they are the new adopters of the celt/viking aesthetic. The perk is it looks like there are gunna be some good bits if you wanna kitbash in that direction. 

I'm of a similar mindset, the Wolf stuff coming out recently looks too cartoony - these new wolf helmets reminds me of a documentary I saw about adults dressing up as dogs "puppy play" - nah it's not scary like the Wolves should be, it's cutie and cuddly puppy.  I'm just turning to 3rd party 3D printing sources for my viking style bits.  There is enough out there to keep my cravings for bits satisfied but it's GWs loss as I am laying down £20-£30 a month on bits and bobs.  It's a real shame as GW can do great stuff, the Norse Blood Bowl team is a great example, I bought the kit and then got even more bits on ebay.  Size is an issue with some bits, but they has the right overall Celtic/Nose/Viking/Wolf feel for me.

Slightly off topic as this is about Votan, but I'm hyped for the World Eaters axes and stuff coming out soon (I've never shied away from Chaos bits for my Wolves).

Yeah, the 30k wolf helmets were a kind of slap in the face, I feel that too. But neither that, nor the Leagues of Votann can keep me away from being quite content with my wolves. With the Blood-Claws-Kit being still and the really nice to paint Primaris Marines, and kitbash here and there I have pretty much everything I really need to be happy. But I have to admit that, I always loved the fact, that any Firstborn in greyblue powerarmour with yellow shouldpads instantly is a Space Wolf, hehe …

• 2 months later...
On 9/11/2022 at 3:32 AM, Karhedron said:

I share your concern. Although looking at the 30K helmet pack, I think this has happened already. 

Heresy Thursday – New Treats for Well-Behaved Space Wolves ...

i've long believed that FW has a dislike of the Wolves and the sheer laziness of these confirms it for me. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2022 at 12:30 PM, Filius said:

Yeah, the 30k wolf helmets were a kind of slap in the face, I feel that too. But neither that, nor the Leagues of Votann can keep me away from being quite content with my wolves. With the Blood-Claws-Kit being still and the really nice to paint Primaris Marines, and kitbash here and there I have pretty much everything I really need to be happy. But I have to admit that, I always loved the fact, that any Firstborn in greyblue powerarmour with yellow shouldpads instantly is a Space Wolf, hehe …

Agree 100% they looked awful.  But then i was also not a fan of the leather masks that were being used, looked to Texas chainsaw for me.