Commissars?

INKS

I had this idea of all Commissars as my regular troops. Expensive I know. If I can even get them to hold rifles and look decent which is a long shot. 

Either way I went to the website and there is one there now? 2 if you count Gaunt. What happened to all the old Commissars, there used to be a bunch of them

There was a FW Krieg Commisar but it doesn't show on their website.

Ebay and Etsy (if you don't mind 3rd party models) are your best bet.

Anvil Industries do a nice "Officers" coat torso if you're up to converting other models.

What's the theme behind all Commissar models? 

I suspect a lot of the Commissar models were retired due to being resin or metal. 

If it's the general aesthetic you're chasing if take casb's advice and see if there are 3rd party vendors selling what you're looking for. There weren't that many GW ones to begin with and their poses weren't that generic so your army would start to look repetitive quickly. 

Let us know how you go :thumbsup:

Sounds amazing!

It’ll be expensive for sure. 

If I recall Anvil Industries do Dress uniform heads. So you could head swap them with other plastic kits.

You won’t get all the flashy uniforms but you could use “proper” Commissars as Squad leaders and characters.

Just to second everyone else with Anvil, they're really good. They have a full range of dress uniform parts like torsos and they have a custom squad builder. You could design a unit that looks like commissars. It would probably be cheaper and easier than sourcing old metal minis and then trying to convert them. 

If you want cheap Commissar Training squads (yes they were a thing, way back in 1st edition) use Wargames Atlantic Grognard bodies with German officer heads from Bolt Action. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

I am doing a "red coats" theme'd army. Commissars have the right look over all. I might just go and look for the retired ones to make them the Sergeants and continue with the plan to use the krieg models. I guess I could find suitable heads somewhere. I don't mind the helmets it's the gas masks. It's just unnecessary. Plan to do a troop or infantry heavy list, will let you know how it goes. it's a slow project so...

I appreciate the 3rd party stuff but I try to stay away from it all. I don't know that I'll be playing in GW stores or tournaments ever but I'd rather not have to risk it. I guess we'll see where the army takes us in the end.

Had a new idea to fill out the army with Navy breachers. I just love the diving helms and such. Not sure how well other arms are going to match  up with them. I guess Cadians might be the closest even though Krieg would be cool. I would love their gloves too for the most part. hm,mmmmm

• 3 weeks later...