Adapting to the meta

yan

Now Nephalim is in effect for a while. What are you guys doing to keep up with the game? What are you spending your cp’s on? What traits and relics are you taking and are you still taking psykers?

im thinking of dropping my runepriest because its getting to unreliable with all the other psykers around. But im gonna miss the coversaves and fight lasts witch i was leaning on.

If you want a Runepriest then I think Njal is a no-brainer. He comes with the Chief Librarian upgrade and has +1W and a Relic staff built-in for just 10 points more than a regular TDA librarian. With Armour of Contempt, Stormcaller is well worth a look.

More broadly speaking, I think that Relics and WLTs really need to pull their weight now to be worthwhile. Not every Character will necessary qualify for both.

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

If you want a Runepriest then I think Njal is a no-brainer. He comes with the Chief Librarian upgrade and has +1W and a Relic staff built-in for just 10 points more than a regular TDA librarian. With Armour of Contempt, Stormcaller is well worth a look.

Fully agree, Njal gives so much of a buff for minimal investment over a normal Runepriest, and not costing CP means he can slot in super easily.

12 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Between Stormcaller and the ability to have TDA Wolfguard leading packs, I think we have some ways to abuse Armour of Contempt. It is something I am planning to try out in when we get our new Codex with T9 Land Raiders. :biggrin:

Wolfguard terminators could take as many combi-meltas as you want, for 5pts each. Maybe not really effective, but it provides another angle of their shooting potency, and no other chapter could do that.

13 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Between Stormcaller and the ability to have TDA Wolfguard leading packs, I think we have some ways to abuse Armour of Contempt. It is something I am planning to try out in when we get our new Codex with T9 Land Raiders. :biggrin:

I may or may not be running a 3 Land Raider list soon :whistling:

I do wish we'd get the Land Raider update - I get that the Traitors had to wait for 2 Wounds, but it's not like I wanted them to wait! I just want my Raiders to be decent for the first time in...like 12 years? :cry:

But still. Sv2+, AoC and Stormcaller makes them pretty meaty. Hell, even baseline they're getting a 5+ against Melta, so they're not terrible. Biggest problem current Loyalist LRs have is their damage output is mediocre: the +2 damage on the Chaos Soulshatters really does help them a lot to be viable options.

16 minutes ago, Kallas said:

I may or may not be running a 3 Land Raider list soon :whistling:

I do wish we'd get the Land Raider update - I get that the Traitors had to wait for 2 Wounds, but it's not like I wanted them to wait! I just want my Raiders to be decent for the first time in...like 12 years? :cry:

But still. Sv2+, AoC and Stormcaller makes them pretty meaty. Hell, even baseline they're getting a 5+ against Melta, so they're not terrible. Biggest problem current Loyalist LRs have is their damage output is mediocre: the +2 damage on the Chaos Soulshatters really does help them a lot to be viable options.

I cannot wait for our LR upgrades either. I suspect that ours will get "Godhammer" pattern lascannons to explain the extra +2 Damage (fingers crossed). I have a Regular LR and an LRC. Unlike some Chapters, we have no problem finding decent units to ride in them, even if it excludes Primaris. I am tempted to add a Vindicator with Siege Shield for another 2+ save tank. The gun on the Chaos version got boosted to Heavy 3+D3 which makes it a lot more reliable.

An armoured spearhead of the 3 T8/9 tanks with a 2+ Save, AoC and Stormcaller seems pretty tasty. Maybe add an Iron Priest to top up the Wounds. I couple of punchy squads inside to deal the damage (maybe Wolf Guard Termies). Then add a sprinkling of units to give some flexibility. Infiltrators/Incursors to hold Objectives and/or screen. Then make up the FA section with a mix of Skyclaws and Cyberwolves for high speed Objective snagging, Actions or just EOAF.

I wonder if the Spartan will feature in the 10th edition Codex. If that gets similar stats to the LR, that would be very tempting!

Yeah, that was pretty much my thinking:

• Wolf Lord (TH, Combi Melta, Beastslayer and AOR)
  • Njal (Stormcaller, Murderous Hurricane, Living Lightning)
  • 4x 5-man Grey Hunters
  • 2x 5-man Skyclaws (3x Plasma Pistol, 1x Power Fist)
  • 3x Venerable Dreadnoughts (Heavy Plasma Cannons)
  • 3x Land Raiders

Idea was to flood the board with armour that can shield the infantry. Ven Dreads can hold the backfield, maybe with a GH unit to support; Skyclaws provide mobility; and the Land Raiders provide the majority of the anti-tank (though regular Lascannons aren't great for it, but still).

Cyberwolves are probably a solid idea for actions, like you said.

On 9/14/2022 at 5:13 AM, yan said:

Now Nephalim is in effect for a while. What are you guys doing to keep up with the game? What are you spending your cp’s on? What traits and relics are you taking and are you still taking psykers?

im thinking of dropping my runepriest because its getting to unreliable with all the other psykers around. But im gonna miss the coversaves and fight lasts witch i was leaning on.

I dropped a psyker for same reasons

Side bonus is it opens abhor the witch v TS and GK 

I really like 2 sources of fight last though

I usually grab 1 culexis or judiciar to access it

Having fair success in the meta. 

The new demons are fun for wulfen.  I beat a belakor and 3 blood thirster list recentyl

Bring infiltrators in every list or expect a nightmare v demons 

I've been running my thunderwolves with claw/ss with one powerfist slipped in, and they mulch hordes pretty well and make a decent threat. The strat that gives em +1 to wound really helps. 

Wulfen I've been doing 1 claw 2 axe and 2 Thunder hammer but that's for a narrative game I'm in right now and I needed them @135. I think 4 Thunder hammer is better overall

8 hours ago, Prot said:

What is the meta build for Wulfen? Calais or hammers?

Hammers and Shields I think. Wulfen need the durability boost offered by Shields. They also have lots of attacks and can fight on death which means they get a lot of benefit from those Hammers.

Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure by the box of Thunderwolves I got if the hammer/shield was legal, but I think it is. I think One shield at least in these units seems important for that match up vs a nasty unit with a lot of damage/AP.

The Wulfen were looking like Hammers and I guess that means the Thunderwolves will probably end up mixed with maybe a single hammer, and claws. 

Thanks again.

Just remembered, Wulfen with Hammers hit at S10 which is another reason to go for them and since they always count as being in the Assault Doctrine, they get AP-3 and exploding 6s. A full squad will normally expect about 13 hits (even if some die) which will make a mess of most targets.

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

Just remembered, Wulfen with Hammers hit at S10 which is another reason to go for them and since they always count as being in the Assault Doctrine, they get AP-3 and exploding 6s. A full squad will normally expect about 13 hits (even if some die) which will make a mess of most targets.

Right! I remembered the S10 hammers, but forgot about the 'always in assault doctrine'. So huge point there for them. Maybe I'll be tearing arms off of my Thunderwolves to get the claws/shields on them. (Maybe 1 hammer?)

• 2 weeks later...

I think the wulfen with axes are also a viable choice if you were looking to run land raiders anyway (just as a couple people have mentioned them).

Not quite as effective at killing anything above S7 etc but still do a lot of damage output for their 125 points - 12x S8 AP-4 D2 - hitting on 2s, exploding on 6s) + the claw attacks from the leader.

I dont really run a competitive list, but recently picked up a spartan and have been writing a list where it has 5 wulfen with axes/claw, 8 grey hunters with a TDA pack leader, and a couple of other characters for buffs/psychic inside.

Also second that WGTDA are a good choice (especially if you can get pyschic defense buffs on them).  I deepstrike 5-6 with combi meltas, claws and a chainfist or 2. They cant be left to run around.

If you want a Runepriest then I think Njal is a no-brainer. He comes with the Chief Librarian upgrade and has +1W and a Relic staff built-in for just 10 points more than a regular TDA librarian. With Armour of Contempt, Stormcaller is well worth a look.

Im not sure how i never noticed Njal was only 10pts more! Time to find those points!