Emperors Children, Maru Skara, 3k

Eyewitness

Trying to repurpose an old force that's built up over the years, and have boiled it down to 2 options, one with a Knight Lord of War and one without. 

With the Knight

++ Emperors Children, Maru Skara, Traitor (2998) ++

+ HQ +

• Preator - Archaeotech Pistol, Master-crafted Paragon Blade, Sonic Shrieker (195)
    • Command Squad - Standard Bearer with Power Sword, 8x Legion Chosen, 6x Power Sword, 2x Power Fist (258)
    • Land Raider Proteus Carrier (220)
  • Tartaros Centurion - Phoenix Warden, Sonic Shriekers (125)

+ Elites +

• Apothecarion - Apothecary with Jetpack, Apothecary with Artificer Armour (115)
  • Tartaros Squad - Sgt. Phoenix Spear + Grenade Harness, 6x Tartaros - Vexilla, Plasma Blaster, 2x Chainfist, 3x Pair of Lightning Claws (285)

+ Troops +

• Tactical Squad - Sgt. Phoenix Spear + Artificer Armour, 9x Legionaries, Vexilla, 9x Chain Bayonet (148)
    • Rhino (35)
  • Tactical Squad - Sgt. Phoenix Spear + Artificer Armour, 9x Legionaries, Vexilla (130)
  • Assault Squad - Sgt. Pair of Lightning Claws + Artificer Armour, 9x Legionaries, 2x Power Swords (180)
  • Tactical Support Squad - 6x Legionaires, Rotor Cannons (127)
    • Rhino - Heavy Bolter (45)

+ Fast Attack +

• Sky-Hunter Squad - Sgt. Phoenix Spear + Artificer Armour, 3x Plasma Cannon (155)
  • Land Speeder Proteus Squadron - 2x Land Speeder, 2x Multi-melta, 2x Graviton Guns (190)

+ Heavy Support +

• Heavy Support Squad - 5x Legionaries, Lascannons, Augury Scanner (160)
  • Sicaran Venator - Lascannon Sponsons (210)

+ Lords of War +

• Knight Questoris - Thunderstrike Gauntlet, Las-Impulsor, Multi-laser, Stormspear Missile Launcher (420)

Plan is to outflank the Speeders, Jetbikes, and Tartaros + Phoenix Warden to upset enemy back line.

Maybe add Assault or Tactical squad to the outflank too.

Meanwhile, Command Squad with TSS for pinning, and Knight roll forward to get stuck in ASAP.

Any obvious problem areas or wastes of time? I'm not sure the Scimitars are going to be up to much, but I have them...

As an alternative, this swaps the knight for more Terminators and a Contemptor to Outflank something a bit heavier. I feel this list might be lacking a counter to opponents heavy hitters though?

++ Emperors Children, Maru Skara, Traitor (2999) ++

+ HQ +

• Preator - Archaeotech Pistol, Master-crafted Paragon Blade, Sonic Shrieker (195)
    • Command Squad - Standard Bearer with Power Sword, 8x Legion Chosen, 6x Power Sword, 2x Power Fist (258)
    • Land Raider Proteus Carrier (220)
  • Tartaros Centurion - Phoenix Warden, Sonic Shriekers (125)

+ Elites +

• Apothecarion - Apothecary with Jetpack, Apothecary with Artificer Armour, Apothecary (160)
  • Tartaros Squad - Sgt. Phoenix Spear + Grenade Harness, 4x Tartaros - Vexilla, Plasma Blaster, 1x Chainfist, 2x Pair of Lightning Claws (210)
  • Tartaros Squad - Sgt. Pair of Lightning Claws + Sonic Shrieker + Grenade Harness, 4x Tartaros, Vexilla, 1x Chainfist, 1x Plasma Blaster (220)
  • Contemptor Talon - 1x Contemptor, 1x Travis Melta-Cannon, 1x Graves Power Fist + Meltagun (195)

+ Troops +

• Tactical Squad - Sgt. Phoenix Spear + Artificer Armour, 9x Legionaries, Vexilla, 8x Chain Bayonet (146)
    • Rhino (35)
  • Tactical Squad - Sgt. Phoenix Spear + Artificer Armour, 14x Legionaries, Vexilla (180)
  • Assault Squad - Sgt. Pair of Lightning Claws + Artificer Armour, 9x Legionaries, 2x Power Swords (180)
  • Tactical Support Squad - 6x Legionaires, Rotor Cannons (127)
    • Rhino - Heavy Bolter (45)

+ Fast Attack +

• Sky-Hunter Squad - Sgt. Phoenix Spear + Artificer Armour, 3x Plasma Cannon (155)
  • Land Speeder Proteus Squadron - 2x Land Speeder, 2x Multi-melta, 2x Graviton Guns (190)

+ Heavy Support +

• Heavy Support Squad - 5x Legionaries, Lascannons, Augury Scanner (160)
  • Sicaran Venator - Lascannon Sponsons (210)

Of the two I think the one with Knight looks meaner. The Knight casts a long shadow and offers protection to your Venator by virtue of the fact your opponent will probably prioritise it. I think Jetbikes are just so much worse this edition sadly but see how they go I guess!

15 hours ago, Eyewitness said:

Plan is to outflank the ... Tartaros + Phoenix Warden to upset enemy back line.

Anuj in his wisdom deleted the bit about "and any attached Independent Characters" in this re-write of the RoW (it appeared in the last Red book version).

In the alternative, the option to Flank Assault with the Assault Marines might be worthwhile, since you can now go straight into combat? Likewise, again, since Troops are allowed to Outlfank in this new version, perhaps it would be interesting to do so with the Rotor Cannon Squad?

Perhaps running the Tartaros as a Command Squad to get another Line Unit would work better?

Edited by TheNineteenth

On 9/17/2022 at 3:04 AM, TheNineteenth said:

Anuj in his wisdom deleted the bit about "and any attached Independent Characters" in this re-write of the RoW (it appeared in the last Red book version).

I overlooked that in my excitement at the new miniature! Hopefully it gets FAQ'd back in, I'll have a rethink on who goes where...

I think I prefer the artificer armour command squad to Tartaros, less ap2 around, more bodies, and the option for charnbul sabres is appealing.

On 9/16/2022 at 5:58 PM, Brother Kraskor said:

Of the two I think the one with Knight looks meaner. The Knight casts a long shadow and offers protection to your Venator by virtue of the fact your opponent will probably prioritise it. I think Jetbikes are just so much worse this edition sadly but see how they go I guess!

yeah, I've been really struggling finding a role for jetbikes, but I love the models!