Fights first and charging

Galron

Just to make sure I am understanding this correct since I have seen some youtubers talking about it wrongly I think.

I have a Fights First unit that gets charged. The charger has priority and goes first and then the fights first unit? In the case of multiple chargers, one charger goes first and then a fights first unit and then a charger right?

I think that this is only partially correct. The official breakdown from GW is as follows:

1. Players alternate selecting eligible ‘fights first’ units to fight with, one at a time, starting with the player whose turn is taking place.
  2. Players alternate selecting eligible ‘fights normally’ units to fight with, one at a time, starting with the player whose turn is not taking place.
  3. Players alternate selecting eligible ‘fights last’ units to fight with, one at a time, starting with the player whose turn is taking place.

So if you only have one unit charging and it charges a unit with Strikes First, then the charging unit will get to strike first.

However, if you have 2 units charging 2 units which have First Strike, you and your opponent will alternate. So one charging unit will fight, then a unit with First Strike will fight, then the other charging unit. So charging units do not always get priority.

Linky: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/OQ1TeUZ6hxw5jp1e.pdf

Don't know if its helpful, but starting with this post here's a broader discussion on the fight order in 9th edition, including for units with multiple instances of "fights first" or "fights last" and units with both fights first and fights last.

It goes beyond the question at hand, but still might be helpful.

It helps if you visually chargers as getting the 'fights first' special rule - though this isn't 100% applicable to all situations. As per Kar above, and your own understanding, active player gets to attack with a charging unit first, if any enemy units have Strike first, then they now alternate with other chargers and strike first units.

Some folks in my group thought that Strike First overrides charging, or something with strike first that charges have some kind of double strike first, however both of these are incorrect. 

Edited by Xenith