Holy Trinity Flamer/Combi-flamer range

9x19 Parabellum

I remember seeing something recently, (a batrep or podcast or something) in which the content provider said something along the lines of only needing to be armed with a flamer, but not necessarily needing to be in range of shooting it, in order for the trigger to qualify for the unit to use the Holy Trinity stratagem.  I remember being surprised by their line of reasoning, but now for the life of me I can't remember:  1.) Where I heard it and 2.) What the exact points of the discussion were.

Does anyone have any light they can shed on this?

Thanks.

Well the stratagem says that all three types of weapons have to be within range and line of sight or more specifically a model with each of these weapons.  Maybe they argued that a combi flamer is still a model with that weapon in range to shoot even if it's not in range with the flamer.  I'd say that's stretching it quite a bit.

It's the combi-flamer trick

The wording on the strat is that you have to have a *model* be in range equipped with those weapons.

A combi flamer is both a flamer and a bolt weapon, and has a range of 24".

So technically it fulfils the requirement to have a model equipped with a flame weapon in range. It very obviously *should* say within range with a flame weapon, but it does not.

So a combi flamer sarge covers both flamer and bolt weapon for holy trinity out to 24".

Whether you make use of this problematic wording is up to you.

• 2 months later...

I would argue that, despite the model, they are different weapons. They have different stats, types ect. 

Similar issues come up with the Alpha Legion Headhunter warlord trait, which allows the ignoring of Look Out Sir with pistol and rapid fire weapons, whilst using a combi melta. 

Are we classing the model or the shot type as the weapon in these instances? 

• 2 weeks later...