Marduk Sedras - Ancient of war

Dwango
Go to solution Solved by ShadowCore67,

Hello frater.

I am just after some clarity on this ruling if possible. I have a campaign tournament coming up next week and I don't want to get bogged down with this  

If Marduk starts the game deployed in a transport, does the preferred enemy ruling just affect the transport or is it measured 6 inches from the transport, therefore affecting nearby units?

If it just affects the transport, does it also affect the unit Marduk is joined with such as the Knights Cenobium retinue?

The rule;

20220916_210431.thumb.jpg.9fc6154d70fbb227eac9835a3802a35e.jpg

Cheers ShadowCore67. I've heard people say that he has to be outside the transport for the units to get the PE but this can't happen if the LR is a dedicated transport. Makes everything a bit exposed too if I don't get the first turn. Reading the rule it could be taken either way.

I have also emailed GW for clarity but got the standard response back. :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Appreciate this is an older post, but I've only just started playing with Marduk in my army and after a game last night there is something that I wanted to check. If I have a unit inside a transport that is within the 6" range, does that embarked unit get Preferred Enemy?

On 9/17/2022 at 7:57 PM, Dwango said:

I have also emailed GW for clarity but got the standard response back. :confused:

You will ALWAYS only get the standard, automated response in reply. There isn;t somebody at Games Workshop that answers rules queries with personal responses. If there was, people would end up with their own FAQ/Errata sheets that probably wouldn't all line up. 

3 hours ago, Angel of Solitude said:

Appreciate this is an older post, but I've only just started playing with Marduk in my army and after a game last night there is something that I wanted to check. If I have a unit inside a transport that is within the 6" range, does that embarked unit get Preferred Enemy?

No, as the unit is not within 6". Their transport would get it, however. 

Pretty weird rule overall. It's only units that deploy within 6" of him at the start of the game get it, not units that are within 6" of him when they attack. Guess you have to clump up at the start to maximise it. 

7 hours ago, Stitch5000 said:

You will ALWAYS only get the standard, automated response in reply. There isn;t somebody at Games Workshop that answers rules queries with personal responses. If there was, people would end up with their own FAQ/Errata sheets that probably wouldn't all line up. 

That is exactly what happened. Hopefully adds to other emails and maybe adds weight to FAQ it.

I don't see why this needs an FAQ - the rules are pretty cut and dry, the models are not on the table, and are therefore not within 6". Marduk's special rule specifically allows him to use the aura while he is within a transport, however his rule does not allow it to effect passengers - you'd need an errata to change the rule to allow that. 

There is an argument to be made that it does affect the embarked units- p212 of the rulebook does state the following, italics for emphasis;

"A unit can Embark onto a Vehicle by moving each
model to within 2" of its Access Points in the Movement
phase – Dangerous Terrain tests should be taken as
normal. The whole unit must be able to Embark – if
some models are out of range, the entire unit must
stay outside. When the unit Embarks, remove it
from the table and place it aside, making a note that
the unit is being transported. If the players need to
measure a range involving the Embarked unit (except
for its shooting), this range is measured to or from the
Vehicle’s hull."

There is precedent there to indicate that the unit is considered to be present, on the battlefield, within the confines of the vehicles hull. I know previous editions might not have had that stipulation, but there is here.

Just a little tidbit for consideration on the topic.