Chaos Squats... too soon?

Darnok

I consider this the warpspawned elephant in the room: Chaos Squats. They were a thing back in the olden days, and with nothing so far suggesting that the reincarnation of Squats come with an immunity to Chaos... well, obvious thing is obvious, right?

So, does anybody already have any plans to do Chaos NuSquats, or am I completely off on this one?

That sounds lile a really great idea, would be great to see what conversions are possible with the new kits!

Really nothing should be immune to chaos, perhaps Necrons and Grey Knights excluded, as its kind of the whole idea.

Remember seeing them fielded in Epic many years ago, they were a good piece of reliable firepower in an army that didn't have much.

The new lore says they're extremely resistant to Chaos corruption, mutation, etc.

I take that to mean we're probably never going to see Chaos Dwarfs Kin, but without completely closing the door on people who want to stick spikes and skulls on their Votann models.

Edited by Lord Marshal

„Extremely resistant to Chaos“… yeah. Sure. 

- haven‘t we seen this before? How  the Throne Mechanicus and the data ghosts of their ancestors make Imperial Houses uphold their knightly virtues and make them „extremely resistant“ to corruption… 

so now: 

A bunch of secretive, greedy little clones of gene spliced humans organized into lodges who already worship non physical entities   No potential for corruption  here.
No. We  don‘t talk about Brunhyld.  :cool:

( I am actually totally ok with keeping the number of corrupted chaos squats down on the galactic scale while leaving enough room for the odd lone clone or extra secret guild going off to join the eightfold path. )

13 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

The new lore says they're extremely resistant to Chaos corruption, mutation, etc.

I take that to mean we're probably never going to see Chaos Dwarfs Kin, but without completely closing the door on people who want to stick spikes and skulls on their Votann models.

WFB Dwarves were described the same way. Chaos Squats could follow a similar trajectory as Chaos Dwarves.

16 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

As opposed to the Space Marines that were designed to be extremely resistant to Chaos as well? Look where that got half of them. Chaos Squats/Dwarves or Dwarves allied with Horus will 100% be a faction in the future, as soon as GW stop double and triple checking the amount of money they got from the new faction.

That being said though, I'm surprised to see Squats listed as Xenos, I would have thought they would be Imperium?

1 hour ago, Skywrath said:

That being said though, I'm surprised to see Squats listed as Xenos, I would have thought they would be Imperium?

Well really they're neither Xenos nor Imperium, but unless GW make them their own category then I sort of think they fit in Xenos better, certainly in the new lore they are not part of or aligned with the Imps.

Lore wise dont the actual Squats who sided with Horus work in the Demon forges now? Or am I confusing them with Chaos Dwarves? 

Just because the Votann are resistant doesnt mean the actual Chaos Squats cant come back. Their cousins make an appearance so the naughty lot decide to have a pop at the new kids on the block.

Damn thats a band name that I never thought Id hear again. 

Pretty sure some of the old lore had Chaos Squats making some of the Chaos Daemon engines that featured in Epic - it may have been in the Renegades supplement, I no longer have a copy unfortunately.

The way GW is re-using lots of the old lore and fitting it back into the 30k setting (which I think is really cool) it wouldn't surprise me at all if they have added that to the HH setting.

The Mad Votann is IMO the future seeds of Chaos Squats. The Mad Votann is the remaining Votann after the Tyranids ate the League (tying this to the old lore about Squats being eaten) on the planet it is on. I can definitely see that Votann turning to Chaos and using the Crucibles to create new Kin that are now Chaos Kin. 

The whole Chaos Squats goes back to the HH.

To their eternal shame, many Squat strongholds and brotherhoods sided with the insidious forces of Chaos. During the wars of the Horus Heresy, Squat forces fought on both sides, and inevitably some fell prey to the corruption of Chaos.

Like the other followers of Horus, many of these Squat followers of Chaos were banished into the Eye of Terror, but rumours persist of isolated groups of Chaos Squat raiders in various parts of the Imperium.

It has even been rumoured that some of the Squat strongholds which were lost to the Warp Storms of the Age of Isolation may have survived, their horribly mutated inhabitants raiding into the Imperium from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 12:38 AM, Orpheus108 said:

It is, from squats back in epic 40k. And there is a quote from Leman Russ talking about the squats aswell

Same lore in the 1st Realm of Chaos book as well. 

• 6 months later...

I am fully into this idea. I'm considering a Nurgle corrupted LoV, called the Plagues of Votann (I know, a bit corny). I have tons of bones and other bits from an old skeleton horde set which I'll adorn them with. I also have loads of spares from my Genestealer Cult start collecting box to throw into the mix as well. It's gonna be a fun project.

Just to keep Moonreaper from going too far off the deep end over this one, going to share what I just added to our lore thread. Someone on Discord shared this from the latest White Dwarf. No doubt Chaos Squats are possible, but the Kin are exceptionally resistant to Chaos corruption.

Not from the codex, but someone shared this bit of lore from the latest White Dwarf. Apparently one of the fleets that got zapped by Angron's murder-curse in the latest Arks of Omen book had a group of Kin hired on as mercenaries.

Spoiler

...turned on us. They hired us as mercenaries, a solid contract drawn up with some groupmaster of their Fourth Fleet, all Wrought, then they just lost their minds! Fouled skein, the lot of them. Mutating. Shouting gibberish. Eating one another. Seen nought like it 'fore or since. Got clear and didn't look back. On the Ancestors, contract didn't cover that...

One cool thing about this is the murder-curse is powerful enough to convert even Primaris Space Marines and Adepta Sororitas into Khorne worshippers. No effect on the Kin besides making them nope out once people start eating each other.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

If you want Chaos Votann, Macrocsom Miniatures Kickstartered minis that would fit the bill some time ago. Only own enough to create a force to play Xenos Rampant with, but who cares? Wouldn't be hard to add in cultists (they make them) and daemons to create a characterful force.