Compendium lists and the Annual 2022

INKS

So I bought the annual. For some reason I assumed it would have the data sheets for things like the sisters list, the new Tau list and so on. It dose not. I guess it would invalidate those books or the need for those books. Does anyone know when you buy a box of them does it come with a data sheet or am I forced to buy the books just for that information? Like phobos for example.

Compendium lists. I know eventually everyone will have their own list in due time. (who knows how long that is going to take). I am going through the process of building multiple teams right now. Just for the sake of variety. I think I really prefer simplistic lists at the moment as my knowledge on the game and how to play is limited. I haven't even played a game yet. (soon) That being said I don't know that I'll build any of these compendium lists. I know some of them can be good but I don't really see the point in that I am just waiting for the real list. I was tempted to make something like grey knights and custodes (fewer models) but I think I'll hold off. How does everyone else feel about compendium lists?

I'm not sure on the datasheets.

Re the Compendium stuff, I guess it's an obvious comment, but I'd either only build the really basic 'filler' models or build them with the ability to swap stuff around (ie magnets again!) so that if/when a more detailed KT is released for that Faction, the minis painted are still usable and useful?

(I think most of my teams, built for KT18, are largely invalidated for the newer version and would need a near total rebuild... which is pretty annoying... which is why I'm determined that anything I build from now on will have more flexibility in use?)

I think it's more that KT18 has such a greater range of minis, some of which are now useless?

As an example, my 125pts Nids team was:

3 Warriors (these are fine, 1 fire team sorted)

5 Hormagaunts (so I'd need to find and paint another 3)

1 Stealer (no good, need another 4)

1 Lictor (this is the big kicker, I spent ages converting this up from a Broodlord and can't use it at all!)

I guess I wouldn't need to paint loads extra to make a usable team, but it just feels like going backwards somehow? Maybe when Nids get a non-Compendium team, there will be more options and I'll work something out...

Compedium teams are mostly fine if you play them against each other, much like 8th ed. 40k indexes. Their lack of options make them better for learning to play the game as they require way less mental cognitive load. They're also ok for casual games or even as NPC mobs using solo/AI/opfor rules.

During KT18 I already learned to magnetize leaders and other key units for the case that rules changes made their loadouts obsolete or illegal.

11 hours ago, INKS said:

. I was tempted to make something like grey knights and custodes (fewer models) but I think I'll hold off. How does everyone else feel about compendium lists?

Compendium lists are great starter kill teams. They have smaller rules to remember when compared to bespoke teams. They are easier to play in beginning. I think building a custodes or grey knights is good idea.  It is cost only one box to make a team.

11 hours ago, INKS said:

Does anyone know when you buy a box of them does it come with a data sheet or am I forced to buy the books just for that information? Like phobos for example.

I dont think the sister squad box comes with datasheet for kt2021. You would have to buy the book. 

For reference, these are the publications where the rules for each team can be found:

• Compendium (1 team for each 40k main faction)
  • Octarius (Veteran Guardsmen and Ork Kommandos)
  • Chalnath (Sisters Novitiates and Tau Pathfinders)
  • Nachmund (Eldar Corsairs Voidscarred and CSM Legionaries)
  • Moroch  (Traitor Guard Blooded and Space Marine Phobos)
  • Into the Dark (Imperial Navy Breachers + Kroot Farstalker Kinband)
  • White Dwarf (Void-Dancer Troupe Harlequins, GSC Wyrmblade, TS Warpcoven, AdMech Hunter Clade)
  • WarCom August 2022 Primaris Intercessors KT
  • Annual 2022 (WD teams + Elucidian Starstriders and Gellerpox Infected )

The individual warzone books, in addition to two teams each, have additional missions and some rules specific to that warzone. So they're a decent little supplement for games with friends to add variety, though you may need to get a bit creative with scenery given the maps tend to use the terrain parts that originally came in the box. I think the new Into the Dark box spacehulk terrain is going to see a lot of play, providing a much more closed up experience and different teams will be stronger than on more open maps.

In defence of the Compendium lists, having played most of them now, almost all are still fine when played against the bespoke lists. Some are stronger as many of the bespoke 'upgrades' are situational and just add nice variety without being OP.

As with any TT game, some are OP, some are weaker, overall KT21 has good balance and encourages skill in play more than list building.

As for mini selection, having a few extra minis for each team to allow for the options and potential changes in the future doesn't usually add much cost.But that is subjective upon the wallet of the player ofc.

We have a pretty Kill Team meta here, with more games of it than normal 40k at the moment.  Here's what I keep hearing:

• of the actual Marines, Grey Knights seem to be seen as the best, sheerly because of Storm Bolters + Power Weapons
  • everyone knows the Sororitas Novitiates are top tier, yet most play the regular power armour ones for simpler rules
  • of the non-Compendium lists, the Tau Pathfinders are pretty popular, due to superior shooting with Drones and wotnot

Both the Grey Knights and the regular Sororitas are from the Compendium and it's like, aside from the mental load issue (absolute agreement here, great term btw), there's a reliability issue, when everyone has good weapons and decent armour, you don't rely on just 1 particular character.  I was thinking of the Krieg Veteran Guardsmen Kill Team, where most of the Wounds came from that one Sniper guy, then I imagine something like Into the Dark.  Aside from being more melee-oriented, it's not like that Veteran Sniper guy is going to shoot through walls, but I can see those 10 power armoured sisters Falling Back to give her teammates a clear shot being a real hassle.  It's just stuff like that.

Just sharing what the buzz is around here, more like general hearsay than super critical analyses, and what I see on the tabletop.

Possible biases - for Kill Team, people skew more towards models they prefer (as a small painting project).  I myself am converting Custodes for this.