Broken Epoch's Space Wolves

Broken Epoch

Greetings brothers and sisters! 

I will be using this post to build upon the gathering and building of my Space Wolves. I will be building an all Primaris force built around Ragnar. Took awhile to decide on a chapter but imaging Space Wolves disembarking from Impulsors covered in skins and shields. It stirred the creative desire in me. I had originally intended to make a custom chapter, but I see no need to. Looking into a painting method to get the look I want before buying paints. But I have all the tools needed to clean, build and sculpt the miniatures that should be arriving tomorrow. My updates will mainly come on Fridays & Saturdays as those are my days off. I'm eventually going to be going to tournaments with my Wolves, but I will not be power gaming. I want to play to the primaris Space Wolves theme. So none of the first born. I might consider Fenrisian Wolves though.

Purchased:

Spoiler

Assault Intercessors x5

Primaris Lieutenant (Storm Shield, Neo-volkite Pistol, Master-crafted Power Sword)

Space Wolves Primaris Upgrade Sprue x1

Space Wolves Upgrade Sprue x1

-= Tools & Materials =-

Green Stuff

Miliput

Sculpting Tools

Tin/Pewter Sheet (For Rivets)

Shopping List:

Spoiler

Paints:

Huldra Blue - Scale 75

Dark Reaper - Citadel Paints

Russ Grey - Citadel Paints

Fenrisian Grey - Citadel Paints

Blue Horror - Citadel Paints

Dark Tone - Army Painter

Lahmian Medium - Citadel Paints

Flesh Tearer's Red - Citadel Paints

Flash Gitz Yellow - Citadel Paints

Retributor Armor - Citadel Paints

Mephiston Red - Citadel Paints

Game Air Silver - Vallejo

Model Color Black - Vallejo

Averland Sunset - Citadel Paints

Wild Rider Red - Citadel Paints

White Scars - Citadel Paints

Model Color Ivory - Vallejo

Models:

Extras:

Artus Opus Dry Brush Set

Simple Green Bottle (To clean Air Brush)

Models Built:

Spoiler

Test Model Intercessor x1

Finished Models:

Spoiler

Edited by Broken Epoch
Updates

For the initial model I will be cleaning off all the Ultramarine stuff from the Lieutenant, so the right shoulder needs to be cleaned off, I will be taking off the wings on the chest and using putty to change the chest skull into a wolf skull, I will have to remove the skull and crown from the power pack and putty in a good fur cloak. The sword coming out at the angle it is coming out will give the cloak some neat ruffles so it does not look so standard. The icon on the right bracer should be able to be sculpted into a more wolfy skull and the larger skull on the shield will be changed into a wolf skull. I think I'll scrape off the elite icon around the large skull on the shield and add in a more Wolfy diamond square around the changed wolf skull, I can also scrape off the skulls going down the shield and green stuff some wolfy trinkets and paint on some Space Wolf runes glowing down the shield.

This will be the first model. I'll be doing a lot of conversion work on this model so it will take some time to get everything right and I will be doing a lot of free sculpting for the first time. I will share pointers and my experience as I make this amazing model appear as if it was made to be a Space Wolf to begin with. 

Goals for this week: Clean the Lieutenant and prepare it for sculping.

Next Update will be on 10/1/22

Edited by Broken Epoch
grammar :(

Just a quick update this week. I've cleaned off most of the details I want gone. This model was sculpted in a interesting fashion and removing the wings on the chest is going to be something I will need to consider more. I'm still leaning toward cleaning it off and replacing it with diamond square studs. The shield is mostly cleared off, I need to buy some sand paper next paycheck so I can smooth it, the bulb on the backpack, and the shoulder pad smooth for painting. I need to clean off the sword sheath so I can add some cool wolfy runes going up the sheath on the side that will be revealed, the other side will be hidden by the cloak I will be sculpting on the the miniature.

I still have not decided if I'm going to remove the spikes above the knee pads and remove the skull from the left kneepad. I might keep this.  But I can also see removing the spikes and the skull and replacing it with some campaign badges and wolfy markings of some kind.

There really isn't much to show in terms of pictures right now. Cleaning these models and getting them ready has been a task requiring some patience. Going to be picking up some miliput and sculpting tools at my next paycheck. That will be when the true magic starts. I'll get some photos up when I start taking the pieces off the sprue. I have found that leaving the pieces on the sprue, for the most part, has made cleaning the bits a lot easier than expected. Just need to find a way to prevent these old hands from stabbing myself with the razor blade again lol! Only took a few minutes to stop the bleeding.

Testing the picture upload here. As you can see some of the clearing is still a bit rough. I'm trying to take my time. I'd like not to have to put too much battle damage on my marines. I don't think the battle damaged look is bad. But I like it when the armor looks fresh.

Spoiler

IMG_0468.jpg

An additional note! I'd decided how I will be painting the armor. I will be using a dry brushing technique. Here is the video that sealed the deal for me: Artis Opus - Dry Brushing Space Wolves

I'm going to be painting the weapons a little different. I want the melee weapons to have pack markings on them I think. I also like the idea of just leaving the weapons a gun metal color with some nuln oil. But I think adding pack markings might help more. When I get to that stage I'll work a model up without the pack markings on the weapons and compare it with a model that has the pack markings on the weapons and see which one I like more. 

Next update will be 10/8/22

Edited by Broken Epoch
Adding additional information

Quick update this week. I've cleaned off a bit more of the model but I am at the limit with what I feel comfortable cleaning with just my hobby knife. I need a smoother and cleaner finish. In my research Valbjorn mentioned using a sanding sponge. So I started looking into these as I had never heard of them before. Then I found Gunpla University's video on sanding sticks and sponges. I made my purchase of these and should have my sticks and sponges soonish.

Been looking into different sculpting methods and have narrowed down the process a few methods. So far, the hair tutorial by Valbjorn is outstanding. I'm using Valbjorn's rivet tutorial as well. I am still looking into how I want to sculpt my wolf fir. There quite a few tutorials out there and I've also seen people us fur plates. But I want to sculpt it myself. So far, I am liking Stickdice's fur tutorial the most. Something else I saw was someone creating a line and they having the fur go one way on one side and the other on the other side. I will have to do some testing with this when my green stuff and sculpting tools arrive. Another tutorial by Valbjorn regarding wolf tooth necklaces is amazing!

I have also purchased some Miliput so I can test sculpting with Green Stuff and Miliput. I really like how Green Stuff responded with the viking hair tutorial, but I might want something a little more flexible like Miliput for other things. Not entirely sure just yet but I will use both and decide what I like. I will try and take videos of how they both behave after I get the hang of them and share my results.

Not much to share picture wise this week. Things look relatively close to the same right now. But I am still making progress. Once I get everything sanded down correctly I will take the parts off the sprue and start to assemble the model. This model is from the $50 starter set and boy does it hold it's value in my mind and I like that most of the model just snaps together. It will allow me to do a lot of testing to see where the shadows are. I might have to pin all my models together in the future. prime all the parts separately, then put them together with the pins to do the zenithal highlight and then take the model apart to paint it up. I'm going to have to go over the Artis Opus Dry Brush video again to see if that step was even needed. I can't recall if it was.

The initial process is quite slow. It is going to take a few weeks for me to get this Wolf Lord done up properly. Another possible hitch I've discovered recently is that the sculpts have the shoulder pads as part of the arms. So I am thinking about clipping off the shoulder pad and shaving the arm down, then build it back up with Green Stuff so I can mount one of the 3D Blackmane shoulder pads on the units. I will need to do this for each of the units that come with the shoulder pads connected to the arms. But I am quite positive I can get good results. 

I said quick post... goodness. Anyway, for those that are following or those that happened to stumble upon my thread. Thank you for your time. If you have an suggestions please let me know. This will be the first time I've decided to do this much conversion work on an army and I am really looking forward to it.

Next Update: 10/15/22

One tip I can give when you have finished cutting/cleaning with your hobby knife, get a new blade and pull it across the surface at an almost 90 degree angle, this will smooth the plastic, don't apply much pressure and you can end up with a pretty smooth finish.  I don't use hobby knives, I prefer scalpels with 10A blades.

Also get a cheap Dremel knock-off and use that to sand away detail, needs a bit of practice, but it is so much quicker.  Wear a dusk mask as the fine plastic dust will get airborne.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:35 AM, sbarnby71 said:

One tip I can give when you have finished cutting/cleaning with your hobby knife, get a new blade and pull it across the surface at an almost 90 degree angle, this will smooth the plastic, don't apply much pressure and you can end up with a pretty smooth finish.  I don't use hobby knives, I prefer scalpels with 10A blades.

Also get a cheap Dremel knock-off and use that to sand away detail, needs a bit of practice, but it is so much quicker.  Wear a dusk mask as the fine plastic dust will get airborne.

Good ideas! I'll check some prices at Harbor Freights this weekend. My sanding sticks just got shipped out. So it looks like I'll have another week to go before I can start really cleaning the model so I can put it together. But I'm thinking I might be able to sculpt on the shield regardless. I will be adding gems and studs around the shield. I got my tin sheet as well so I'll cut off the shield and start working on that this weekend. I should have some photos up of the shield this weekend.

On a side note, I accidentally watched a video about why someone dislikes the Space Wolves. I got more and more offended as I listened to it. I didn't realize some people disliked the Space Wolves so much. Almost got me thinking about switching armies. Thought about Ultramarines and Dark Angels. Then I realized that while I love the Ultramarine dice, I collect dice :p, I like the idea of individuality that the Space Wolves offer. Also, the Impulsors covered in power shields and wolf pelts is something I have been wanting to do since I saw the model release. I'm solidly all-in on Space Wolves.

I watched a second dry-brush tutorial from Artis Opus on painting Space Wolves. I think I like it more than the original scheme. I will have to think on it more. The original scheme is more snowy and cold looking and almost looks like it has snow on it. The new video looks a lot more smooth. I'll have to think more about it.

Old Video

New Video

3 hours ago, Harald Fairmane said:

Another simple Fur tutorial from CaptainSnikt might be interesting

That looks awesome! Thank you for sharing! :)

3 hours ago, dees said:

Be careful of the videos you watch, they can tick you into major mistakes like painting a whole army blue, or playing a chapter that half turned to Chaos and they now live on a glorified asteroid.  Just kidding...mostly... 

So true lol

I was tempted by the dry-brush approach after I watched the video a while back.  What I would say is that guy is a super pro at what he does and makes it look so, so easy, when in reality is it takes a lot of practice to be that good.  I've been painting SW for almost 30 years now and have switched my style maybe 3 times in all those years (mostly because GW have changed the paints), but I have tried 10+ different methods.  I hate painting armour, it is sooooooooooo boring, so I looked for a fast way of doing armour so I can spend my time on the interesting bits, this is my current method:

• Airbrush Vallejo Mecha Grey Primer, it takes 24 hours to set, but it shrinks in that time so the detail on the model stays crisp
  • Or if I'm just doing a single model, GW Greyseer with a brush
  • 2-3 layers Airbrush GW Fenrsian Grey Air (or just the normal layer version if using a brush)
  • Mix Drakkenhof Nightshade with Contrast Medium (1 part Colour to 4 parts Medium)
  • Add that to a mixing palette and add a good drop of Medium near it to use to mix and dilute as required
  • Also have some pure Drakkenhof on the palette
  • Apply the mix to the joints and recesses
  • Use Medium to smear over the very flat parts of the armour to clean away the blue and provide light shading
  • Do this on small areas at a time - you have to watch as the Medium sets because if it sets and you put a brush into it again, it will tear and you get horrible smears
  • Once you see how the shade is going into the recesses you can add more of the pure shade to get real deep shadows or add more Medium to lighten it
  • I keep 2 brushes on the go for this, one very fine just to add more of the pure Shade and the other thicker brush for apply the mix

I found after 2 or 3 models I got really good at the shading and did not require any cleanup on the flat armour, you do want some shade on there when you hit the lower legs, under the arms etc.

I've added a pic of one I did with this method, the shadows are subtle (they are a little darker in real life as the white background does affect my camera).

Even if the light blue is not your thing, the above process can be done with any colour scheme, light or dark grey with the right shade.  I had so many people tell me that SW had to be shaded with Nuln Oil or Agrax Earthshade, well that does not work on light blue, shadows are a darker version on the main colour, so dark blue is the way for me.

And as for people having a pop at Space Wolves, it's not different from people arguing over Sports Teams, let them moan and what not, it's your money, your time, your hobby.  If you enjoy it, let them hate over plastic and paint and get an ulcer (some people will never be happy and their hobby is moaning), while you have fun with your hobby.

Assault3-3.jpg

15 hours ago, sbarnby71 said:

I was tempted by the dry-brush approach after I watched the video a while back.  What I would say is that guy is a super pro at what he does and makes it look so, so easy, when in reality is it takes a lot of practice to be that good.  I've been painting SW for almost 30 years now and have switched my style maybe 3 times in all those years (mostly because GW have changed the paints), but I have tried 10+ different methods.  I hate painting armour, it is sooooooooooo boring, so I looked for a fast way of doing armour so I can spend my time on the interesting bits, this is my current method:

And as for people having a pop at Space Wolves, it's not different from people arguing over Sports Teams, let them moan and what not, it's your money, your time, your hobby.  If you enjoy it, let them hate over plastic and paint and get an ulcer (some people will never be happy and their hobby is moaning), while you have fun with your hobby.

Really appreciate your thoughts! Thank you so much! I have looked into a lot of different methods. From grim dark to what I decided I wanted to end on, dry brushing, and I like the method Artis Opus has shared. I know it will take awhile to get the process nailed down for sure. But that is all part of the process. I'm mainly trying to decide between the cold/snowy look and the more smooth and ice look that he did on the transport. Really hope those transports get updated so primaris can ride in those. If they retire those models it is going to be a shame. 

In regards to the the folks and their thoughts on Space Wolves. I agree. I'm going to just have fun doing what I want to do. There are a few places I want to game if I'm able to in the future. The bar/gaming store in the UK would be a blast to play in if they allow people to play there anymore. I hear GW is pushing games out of their stores now. Which is fine by me for the most part. I always preferred playing in LGS stores over GW stores anyway. But it would be cool to play there. I also want to play in a tournament with the Tabletop Tactics folks. Doesn't matter where. Just want to meet them. Cool folks for sure. 

I'm a bit under the weather right now, but just got notice that my sand sticks and sponges are in my mailbox. I'll see if I can get them soon so I can continue cleaning my Wolf Lord. Regardless of that, I will be starting to work on the storm shield today. :D I'll throw some pictures up tomorrow.

Started work on the shield and I realized that I worked around the purity seals. Then I laughed at myself. Purity seals are not something I think Space Wolves care about. They use their own talismans and totems. I remember cutting myself two weeks ago trying to preserve the purity seals. lol! Good times. They are gone now.

Got my first gemstone done. Used as close to 50/50 miliput/green stuff as my old man eyes could get. Took awhile but I'm pretty happy with the results. Going to wait for it to harden, sharpen it up, and then craft up a stone with a nordic rune on it attached to the shield with a strap under the gemstone and some fur over the top of the shield.

Spoiler

image.png.56f3fad3cd49961dfae0022c62cf6418.png

Edited by Broken Epoch

11 hours ago, sbarnby71 said:

Looking good, did you hand sculpt the gem stone or use a press mould?  And there has been lots of debate about do the Wolf use Purity Seals.  I use them now and again as they are great to cover up dodgy looking joins.

Thank you! I hand sculpted it using the tutorial I posted above. It took about 30-45 minutes to get it exactly how I wanted it. I still think I might have used too much material. There was a lot of waste material left over too. I need to mix less material when I start work on the runestone talisman, leather straps, and other things like fangs and some small fur charms. I don't think I'll go with the skull trophies with my Space Wolves. Not unless the skull serves a purpose. Like a skull on the end of a staff. I decided against Purity Seals myself. Gives me more options to sculpt. :D 

I had thought about getting a mold plate for the fur, but I'm just going to sculpt it myself.

Thank you again for the compliment! I'll have more to share this weekend. I was a bit sick last weekend so I didn't get to the second day of sculpting.

8 hours ago, dees said:

As has been said before really good job on the sculped gem.  In my experience furs and cloths are more forgiving than other items. 

Thank you! This weekend I plan to do the Runestone, other trinkets and leather strap. I also plan on testing my had at making those metal studs. But I don't have super glue. So I might need to wait. I prefer using the plastic glue. I'll order some super glue this weekend if I find I can create the studs correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...