Questions about oilwash

TheMarsian

Hey!

New to oilpaints/washes and got some n00by questions for yall:

1. How long should I leave the model to dry before wiping off the excess oilwash?

2. Once excess is wiped of to a satisfactory result, how long do models need to dry before matt-sealing them?

3. Can I paint acrylics directly ontop oilwash, or do I need matt varnish in between?

Cheers!

1. depends on the effect you are after and how thin your wash is. I come in with a q tip or sponge in like 15 min to an hour or so after application.  I usually am batch applying so it is often just when I get done with applying the wash to a line of models and then going back and cleaning things up. 

2. Oils take forever to properly cure.  I do a week myself but a few days should be ok.  

3. You can paint on top.  The better cured the oil layer is the lower the risk of damage. I gone in for highlights very quickly after application with wash still wet in the recesses.  Don't recommend it but sometimes its crunch time!

4 hours ago, TheMarsian said:

Hey!

New to oilpaints/washes and got some n00by questions for yall:

1. How long should I leave the model to dry before wiping off the excess oilwash?
 - until its "matt" it will no longer be shiny about 30 mins really faster if you use a hair dryer.
2. Once excess is wiped of to a satisfactory result, how long do models need to dry before matt-sealing them?
- 24-48 hours by nature 2-3 if ive sped things up with a hairdryer
3. Can I paint acrylics directly ontop oilwash, or do I need matt varnish in between?
yes no need to varnish but i prefer to. Gloss then matt. 
Cheers!

On 9/28/2022 at 4:32 PM, TheMarsian said:

It really depends on how much you want to wipe off. Also remember that oils can always be reactivated with a little bit of thinner, so unless you've varnished the model and sealed the oil layer underneath you can theoretically mess with the oils indefinitely.

I'd give it a good few days to a week. Also depends on how thick the oil paint is. A thin wash will dry quicker than a denser one for instance.

You can! Once they're dry they're stable, just be sure you're not gonna use anymore thinner/oils afterwards.