Azazel, Vilitch and other Forgotten Fantasy Chaos characters in 40k?

Moonreaper666

I wonder how much interest there is in bringing no longer relevant Chaos characters from Fantasy such as Vilitch, Azazel, Egil Stryebjron, Wulfrik and others to 30k and 40k? With modified or very similar backstories?

Imagine Vilitch's twin brother being a Space Marine. As the Twisted Twin they have mind-controlled an entire Chapter from Sanginius' geneseed (Child Vilitch prays to Tzeentch so he doesn't get eaten by the Sons of Sanginius)

Azazel could be a former Sumerian whom fought for the Emperor

Wulfrik and Styrebjorn could be Traitor Fenrisians whom can't use geneseed so rely on Chaos gifts to make them stronger than Marines!

Vadrek Crom could be a high-ranking non-Astartes leader within the Black Legion. Also a Traitor from Chogoris.

Valnir is a non-Astartes leader whom commands a mighty Host full of many Nurgle Cultists, Traitor Guard and Astartes from several genelines, including many Death Guard!!!

I'm not sure how many of us even remember who any of those are - the only name that sounds familiar to me is Axazel,,, was he the guy in plate armour with a hammer and a big face on his shield (the guy I'm thinking of was on the cover of one of the early editions of fantasy battles, whapping a skeleton) - if so, I had his mini back when I was a teenager.  Don't think I ever knew anything about him, though.

I personally don't want "mortal" fantasy characters porting over to 40k. It's one thing for named daemons like Skarbrand and Kairos because the daemons are very similar in fantasy/AoS and 40k, but 40k doesn't need the likes of Vilitch and Festus just like fantasy/AoS doesn't need Typhus or Ahriman.

On 9/30/2022 at 1:31 PM, Kaiju Soze said:

Azazel, iirc, was a Slaanesh daemon prince in 5th edition Fantasy Battle.

Yep. White feathered wings and a crab claw. No idea if it's ever existed in WH40k or not, but I don't think so. As far as I know, Be'lakor is the only daemon prince (so far) to have a version of himself in both settings.

The guy hitting the skeleton is Harry the Hammer, who had a limited edition model a while back - I forget if it was 8E WHFB or early AoS.

13 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I personally don't want "mortal" fantasy characters porting over to 40k. It's one thing for named daemons like Skarbrand and Kairos because the daemons are very similar in fantasy/AoS and 40k, but 40k doesn't need the likes of Vilitch and Festus just like fantasy/AoS doesn't need Typhus or Ahriman.

The Lost and the Damned, Chaos Cults, Traitor Guard and Chaos Pirates need their own Special Characters in Lore and Tabletop

Better to port over those Mortals (Or make Expys of them)

Azazel was so OP XD. I'd rather see legion specific characters for the legions that have none than named daemons who in all likelihood would be in the daemon book anyway.

A named warsmith for IW, an apostle for the WB, Lump lord for the NL, an infiltration master for the AL would all be welcome editions to our games. 

21 hours ago, Toldavf said:

Azazel was so OP XD. I'd rather see legion specific characters for the legions that have none than named daemons who in all likelihood would be in the daemon book anyway.

A named warsmith for IW, an apostle for the WB, Lump lord for the NL, an infiltration master for the AL would all be welcome editions to our games. 

There are novel characters

Marduk from the Word Bearers Trilogy

Decimus from the First and Planned-Second Night Lords Trilogies

Honsou for the Iron Warriors

Maybe Three Brothers/Triplets for the Alpha Legion?

For Word Bearers, Kor Phaeron and Erebus are much more likely I'd think. Kor Phaeron especially, given he's been active as a battlefield commander in the setting relatively recently (8E Psychic Awakening).

As for bringing these characters in, I'd rather they didn't directly as far as the same name, etc. However, basing a new character on a similar backstory influenced by one or more old Fantasy characters would be fine. That said, that would need to happen in novels for now, as there's not a lot of infrastructure for fielding some of the Lost and the Damned stuff in particular.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

4 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

For Word Bearers, Kor Phaeron and Erebus are much more likely I'd think. Kor Phaeron especially, given he's been active as a battlefield commander in the setting relatively recently (8E Psychic Awakening).

As for bringing these characters in, I'd rather they didn't directly as far as the same name, etc. However, basing a new character on a similar backstory influenced by one or more old Fantasy characters would be fine. That said, that would need to happen in novels for now, as there's not a lot of infrastructure for fielding some of the Lost and the Damned stuff in particular.

The Crimson Slaughter do have a Traitor Commissar leading their Cultist troops

I was thinking of Marduk or an Original character who is only over a millenia old as a newblood type of character for the Word Bearers

Each Traitor Legion should have a Young-Old Duality between its Two Playable characters on Tabletop. Then have a non-Astarte character who is aligned with that Legion.

For example Khârn (Old), Zhufor the Impaler (New) and a New Blood Pact Xeno Leader (Mortal/Xeno) as the Three Tabletop Characters for the World Eaters

Erebus, Marduk and that Female Cult Leader from the Dawn of Fire series (Gate of Bones Book)

Torvann Lokk, Honsou and a Traitor Mordian for the Iron Warriors

An old 'Alpha' and new 'Omega' Marine for the Alpha Legion. Traitor Inquisitor as the Mortal Tabletop character.

Krieg Archebus, Decimus and a Chaos Pirate for the Night Lords

• 2 weeks later...

=][= The chosen topic is use/porting of old fantasy characters into the 40k Universe, not wishlisting for new 40k characters in general, please keep to the topic at hand =][=

There is certainly scope for it, however GW have separated the 40k and AoS universes a bit more thoroughly now, which is probably a shame. Notable daemon princes include Azazel as mentioned, then also Valkia, now Sigvald, but also maybe Dechala. If we're going with immortal heroes, then Aekold Helbrass is still more than likely floating around somewhere. 

Of all of these, Azazel is the only one untied into the fantasy setting through their armour etc, so anything else would need an upgrade. 

There's absolutely no reason you cannot create your own character that transcends space and time and appears in both settings (in appropriate wargear) the fluff is what you make of it. I remember way back when there was a WD article on a guy that made his own "Eternal Champion" model, and made conversions of the same guy for a whole host of game systems like WFB, 40k, Necromunda etc. It was a very cool idea and still ok to do now. 

Found it:

http://givemlead.blogspot.com/2014/11/i-am-schmendrickand-schmendrick-means-me.html