Traitor Guard Rules (Sort of)

Tallarn Commander
Go to solution Solved by Kythnos,

Yesterday Warhammer Community posted rules that allow you to include 2 Traitor Guard units in CSM armies: Traitor Guardsman Squads and Enforcers (with the option to add an Ogryn to the Enforcer unit).

Here is a link to the Warhammer Community page: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/28/special-forces-enter-open-warfare-with-free-warhammer-40000-rules-for-five-kill-teams/

While this isn't much, it's better than nothing. I'm sure my Night Lords would be better off with a screen of 20 Cultists in front of them, but for the time being they are going to be assisted by 3 squads from the Nostroman 9th. Each squad toting a sniper rifle, plasma gun, and meltagun. Sadly, the ruleset is rather vague about how many points one should spend on most of the upgrades like vox casters, plasma guns, and meltaguns. But I'll just use the points from the current Forgeworld rules from R&H. I suspect most opponents and tournament organizers would be OK with that. Plus, it's not like any top bracket player is going to include traitor guard. It's just for us fluffy, casual players.

Also, my Nostroman 9ths female troopers are sad that they are now being called guardsmen." Sigh.

I loved using Renegades and Heretics alongside Traitor Guard back in 7th Edition and I enjoyed souping R&H into my lists during the first few months of 8th edition. It made from some hilarious events. Such as this photo below where a Renegade Commander and his squad with sniper rifle and plasma gun are advancing up the board. Meanwhile a Chaos Marine Squad and a Raptor Squad who just failed morale checks are fleeing past the brave traitor guard troopers.

Brave Sir Robin, Bravely Runs AwayMay Game 15

Maybe at some point we'll get a full traitor guard army ruleset? I'm not holding my breath though. :) 

Nostroman 9th, "Hell's horde"

Edited by Tallarn Commander

• Solution
3 hours ago, Tallarn Commander said:

Sadly, the ruleset is rather vague about how many points one should spend on most of the upgrades like vox casters, plasma guns, and meltaguns. But I'll just use the points from the current Forgeworld rules from R&H. I suspect most opponents and tournament organizers would be OK with that. Plus, it's not like any top bracket player is going to include traitor guard. It's just for us fluffy, casual players.

Isn't the general rule if an upgrade does not have any points noted down, they are free? In any case, this does give some incentive to finishing my BSF traitor guard :-)

Yeah, there are no points listed for those upgrades because they don’t cost any points. It’s a relatively new convention, I think.

Makes them even better, really. I am not very impressed by the commissar and ogryn, but the traitors are just swell. I will use some for sure.

I'm looking forward to including a unit of Traitor Guardsmen with my Chaos Marine army (when I finally get round to expanding on my Kill Team stuff to do so! :laugh:); but I can't see why GW can't just do a proper Traitor Guard/L&tD list now.

It's not as if there aren't models - you've got that Dark Covenant from the latest CSM dex as the HQ (as well as that enforcer and Ogryn), units of accursed cultists in place of mutants, then Cultists and Traitor Guardsmen as your troops. Let them take a Leman Russ and a squadron of Sentinels from the AM codex, and boom! that's your army. Stick it in White Dwarf or (preferably) as a free download on WarCom. If I can cobble that idea together in 5 minutes, surely GW can..! 

• 2 weeks later...

Im really sure that GW has to do only one of two things:

-An Armies of Renown army validated by the White Dawrf that lets you take tanks from AM

-A regiment/Brood Brothers-like rule put on the AM codex

So close but so far at the same time...

I guess Ill make a crusade army using Alpha Legion rules to make it full cultist, and then I'll ally with a R&H regiment. Doesn't sound very efective, but could be fun.

On 10/12/2022 at 3:09 AM, Garrac said:

Im really sure that GW has to do only one of two things:

-An Armies of Renown army validated by the White Dawrf that lets you take tanks from AM

-A regiment/Brood Brothers-like rule put on the AM codex

So close but so far at the same time...

I guess Ill make a crusade army using Alpha Legion rules to make it full cultist, and then I'll ally with a R&H regiment. Doesn't sound very efective, but could be fun.

Oooh yes please! This would be so cool, and perhaps with the coming codex and campaign books there will be a prayer of a chance of it happening once again.

21 hours ago, Khornestar said:

Oooh yes please! This would be so cool, and perhaps with the coming codex and campaign books there will be a prayer of a chance of it happening once again.

Everyone email GW and then email them again... WE WANT TRAITOR GUARD ARMYS!! Those who scream loudest get their voices heard these days.