Stacking Psychic buffs?

Brother Kraskor

12 hours ago, Brother_Angelus said:

Don't have my rulebook to hand, but usually in GW games the same special rule, power or spell can't be stacked with itself unless explicitly stated.

EDIT: doesn't seem to be anything to prevent it. Another one for the FAQ.

Yea the old restriction was in the psychic phase rules. Which doesn't exist and wasn't ported well.

Thats kind of the theme with a lot of rules; the new 2nd edition equivalent fails to get all the language of the 1st edition mechanics that functioned correctly. Reminds me of the cenobium pdf without the ability to overwatch, or the spicula lol. They're a bit sloppy when it comes to inventing new mechanics.

They got to be sloppy with drafts sometimes as well.

The Cenobium thing was correct in the print version of Book 9, which means it had to have been corrected before the PDF publication if the physical copy had the correction.

I mean it's a cool idea (if technically allowed) but it's also another 210+ points you're tacking on to your deathstar if you're bringing 2 librarians. Also the biomancy power gives +1 strength and +1 toughness. So unless you're thousand sons the most you could get on one unit is +3 strength and +3 toughness. Its a cool gimmick I guess.

2 hours ago, ShadowCore67 said:

I mean it's a cool idea (if technically allowed) but it's also another 210+ points you're tacking on to your deathstar if you're bringing 2 librarians. Also the biomancy power gives +1 strength and +1 toughness. So unless you're thousand sons the most you could get on one unit is +3 strength and +3 toughness. Its a cool gimmick I guess.

Yeah I'm not saying whether it's viable. But how do you deal with a big unit of T8 terminators? You can get +4S/T by taking an allied detachment with another Biomancer. 

10 Cataphractii with power axes and 3 Tartaros Librarians is 685pts. They fit in a Spartan and will be between T4-7, with their axes making them S5-8. 685pts is eye-watering, but still probably cheaper than most Primarch + Termie deathstars that go into a Spartan, and if all your psychic tests go off they will be an absolute nightmare to deal with! 

On 10/1/2022 at 7:12 PM, Brother Kraskor said:

Yeah I'm not saying whether it's viable. But how do you deal with a big unit of T8 terminators? You can get +4S/T by taking an allied detachment with another Biomancer. 

10 Cataphractii with power axes and 3 Tartaros Librarians is 685pts. They fit in a Spartan and will be between T4-7, with their axes making them S5-8. 685pts is eye-watering, but still probably cheaper than most Primarch + Termie deathstars that go into a Spartan, and if all your psychic tests go off they will be an absolute nightmare to deal with! 

People come up with ideas liek this and then say Nemesis Bolters are OP... :D 

With my dice rolls, I'm just imagining all the perils wounds I'd be tanking to the face with that many librarians :tongue:

To further the biomancy stacking topic, I think Night Lords technically can take the most librarians in a single detachment with Swift Blade, the tradeoff being you won't be able to take Curze. You could take 4 librarians in the primary detachment and +1 with the allied detachment for +5 S/T. 

Imagine 5 pyromancers throwing out 15 large blasts every turn, absolutely absurd :teehee:

My biggest issue with biomancy is the very short duration of the buff, only lasting one combat since it ends at the end of the Player Turn rather than Game Turn. 

On a related note to this (and I think it's already been answered)....there's nothing that says you can't take multiple psykers using the same discipline right? Ie, you can have 3 Biomancer Psykers?

Also, can a given psyker cast as many psychic powers as opportunites give him to arise?  So for example...(and I don't have my book with me but I copied this out of the Battlescribe notes), here is the wording for Biomantic Augmentation:

Instead of making a Shooting Attack, a Psyker with this Psychic Power may select a single friendly unit within 6", that unit increases its Strength by +1 for the duration of the current player turn. When using this power, the controlling player may choose to have the Psyker take a Psychic check. If the Check is passed then both Strength and Toughness are increased by +1 for the duration of the current player turn. If the Check is failed, then the target unit gains no benefit and the Psyker suffers Perils of the Warp.

So, could you choose to have the librarian cast a psychic power if he was attached to a unit that was using a reaction to make a shooting attack (ie, overwatch or return fire?)

7 hours ago, Stitch5000 said:

People come up with ideas liek this and then say Nemesis Bolters are OP... :D 

In the grand scheme of things Nemesis Bolters are way more harsh than this edge case. Biomancy can only be used in certain situations and you're taking 2+ HQ slots to make the gimmick work.

24 minutes ago, 9x19 Parabellum said:

Nemesis Bolters are considered OP? When did this happen? 10 pts for 1 heavy shot str 5 gun?  

That can kill sergeants, apothecaries and independent characters out of the middle of their units? With rending? With pinning? Yeah, they’re pretty full on!

35 minutes ago, 9x19 Parabellum said:

Nemesis Bolters are considered OP? When did this happen? 10 pts for 1 heavy shot str 5 gun?  

135 for 5 str 5, rending 5+, pinning, precision shots that also score, get +1 cover, and count as being further away/out of los? In the troops slot? You get a few units of those and it can become pretty oppressive.