Best way to build warriors

INKS

Keep in mind that there's not been a lot of competitive play happening for these guys so all we have is limited test matches and wild speculation to base our impressions on, but for me I think your special weapon choice can depend on the League you select.

As a base to start, I'd suggest bolters all the way. The Ion Blasters previously had some good play with the Ion Storm Stratagem giving them room to really put the hurt on something triple judged, but that interaction was mostly left in taters following the emergency balance change FAQ.

As GTL, or a Custom League with the reroll effect, low quantity but high quality special weapon shooting can be really reliable in an MSU build. That would be your Magna-Rail and Beam options. In other cases where you think you'll have some or most of that hard hitting power coming from somewhere else in your list, you can consider leaning towards the weapons that better complement the bolters, like the HYLas auto rifle and perhaps the missile launcher, whose blast profile gives you D6 shots that want to hit what your bolters shoot at, with flexibility to ppunc up against tougher targets.

As for equipment, never leave home without a Medic. That passive effect, plus the stratagem, is well worth the 5 points. Everything in the army is now so much more expensive that you'll find it harder to trade up properly, and while these guys have a lot of overlapping defensive effects, they're still saving on a 4+ and only have one wound. All this to say that the medic feels like more of an auto-include than anything else.

The comms are neat, and this army certainly does benefit more than most from rerolls, but I'm not entirely sold on it. It's tied stratagem is pricy but could be really effective against the right opponent, though I feel it's probably best on the Pioneers. 

The Scanner is okay because it denies cover saves and gives you access to an auspex scan-like stratagem, but it also improves one of your faction Secondaries. You probably won't realistically take that secondary ever so that's not really worth considering, imo.

Edited by Lemondish

great insights thanks! lots to consider I see.

keep the opinions coming gang. Really trying to learn and wrap my head around here. codex is on the way, so I'll have that soon

3 hours ago, phandaal said:

Give your champion the Warrior Lord trait along with his relic and he can reroll wounds and bypass Feel No Pain and per-phase damage caps.

I'm going Ymyr. Do you think their Guild Connections trait is better or worse than Warrior Lord on the champ, accepting that you have to drop the reliv and just use the normal hammer?

Edited by Sawtooth

So... any more thoughts on this. Bolters? Railgun a must? hammer for the sgt? medic, comms? how are you guys building yours?

I've got two squads right now, not sure how to outfit them honestly. 

Sieglier had a war room game that I can't see. wonder what his list was. But I think Ion blasters for troops with minimal upgrades is the way to go. Then lots of bikes.

I hadn't considered range so much. I guess maybe I should build them with medic and comms and if I don't take them then I don't. love the idea of a volkite pistol. I just don't put too much stock into troop units doing a lot of work on the battlefield. guess we'll see. I need to see more people playing them.

1 hour ago, INKS said:

I hadn't considered range so much. I guess maybe I should build them with medic and comms and if I don't take them then I don't. love the idea of a volkite pistol. I just don't put too much stock into troop units doing a lot of work on the battlefield. guess we'll see. I need to see more people playing them.

This army is very limited in data sheets, so every unit kinda needs to pull its weight. This particular unit needs to be able to contribute because you're so limited on choice.

hmmmm this is a good point.

maybe... one shot 20 pt weapons seem like a bad choice though., Maybe some of the other choices.

Edited by INKS

1 hour ago, Doobles88 said:

No volkite option for the theyn. Only bolt, ion or plasma. 

That is correct. I thought it was a Volkite because of the shape but now I see it's an Etacarn plasma.  Seeing range is only 6", I will now probably swap it for an Ion pistol. Thanks for the heads up!!! 

Edited by Chaplain Lucifer

16 hours ago, INKS said:

hmmmm this is a good point.

maybe... one shot 20 pt weapons seem like a bad choice though., Maybe some of the other choices.

I think it kinda depends on both the rest of your list and your selected Custom. If you're going with GTL or the reroll option in the create-a-custom list, low shot but high quality weapons embedded in your units are much more capable and can be pretty valuable. I'm actually looking at this as an option for a Sagitaur heavy build. Lots of ways to lean into that when you can create MSU Warrior units, I'd say.

If you intend to decentralize with Ymyr instead, so that you aren't hugging a Kahl all game, comms would help make them more accurate as well.

Some good points being made. I guess I really need to focus on which custom I'll go with. I need the line to come out so people are taking them to tournaments and I can see results!!!

I built my initial squad as a 20 kin unit with bolters, with 2 rail, 2 missile, medic, comms and scanner, nothing fancy on the sergeant. They sit on a home objective and the rail + missile go tank hunting and the bolters take shots at whatever wonders into range.

I have tried them with Ymyr for extra range and 5++ and with Urani-Surtr for the extra toughness, both games they preformed similar.

I have also tried (via proxies) a 10 kin all ion no other upgrades unit, only two survived, but they ran forward  to get a mid game object and then shoot some approaching marines.

I don’t think I would ran a 20 kin ion unit due to the short range and fewer shots, but one or two 10 kin units to run forward and pot-shot marines i can see doing. Especially with a babysitting Kahl following them.