Assigning Damage.

INKS

I have a unit with 2 shield custodes and 1 spear custodes. 

If that unit gets shot by say a lascannon. Can I choose to take it on the shield and make a save? Can I assign that the shield guys get hit first to protect the non shield guy as long as there are less than (in this case) 2 hits

I think that is allowed, yes. The only thing to bear in mind is that if you have different saves in a unit, you have to declare who is taking the save before you roll. If you fail, it has to be that model that is removed.

In the above example, if you fail the Shield save, it has to be Shield Guy that gets removed, not Spear Guy.

As well, in 9th once you declare a model who is being allocated the attack, that model has to be allocated all attacks until either it is removed or that particular unit that is shooting it is finished shooting.  So, no swapping back and forth between models to take the optimal save - at least, not until that model dies.

Just to clarify it's allocate to that model until either it dies or the phase is over.  So once you allocate to it you can't change that until the whole shooting phase is done.  Your opponent can use this to "bait" you into allocating onto a model and then use a different type of gun that it's worse against.