Guard reveals

Was watching a watch along, so I wasn’t able to hear everything that was said.

Cadian shock troops can be built as infantry squads or their unique unit with heavy weapon or 2 special weapons respectively?

loving the big howitzer/new big gun in the field ordnance batteries.

what are you most excited about?

I’m a bit underwhelmed tbh. No reveal on the new tank, no reveal on the Roughriders.

The Ordnance battery looks great! Can’t wait to add those to my gunline!

The preview for the “Cult of Sacrifice” is much better than it is atm.

(Now Krieg units that are under starting strength get a +1 to hit!) definitely more thematic and useful.

They did say that the reveal is only around 50% of what the Guard will be getting so fingers crossed there’s more excitement

to come!

12 minutes ago, Jud Cottrell said:

I’m a bit underwhelmed tbh. No reveal on the new tank, no reveal on the Roughriders.

(Now Krieg units that are under starting strength get a +1 to hit!) definitely more thematic and useful.

They did say that the reveal is only around 50% of what the Guard will be getting so fingers crossed there’s more excitement

to come!

You can see a new tank on the box art front cover and on the rear of the box you can see the codex cover that has a rider on a horse.

Cult of Sacrifice & Parade Drill are.... meh

Cult of Sacrifice could be cool, but with how flimsy guard infantry are, it's going to be tough to get any value out of it, except for vehicle squadrons like Sentinels. 

Parade Drill... this falls into the "WHY GW?  WHY????"  9th is a movement based game, so Guard trade movement for 2 shots with a LASGUN, while exposing chaff to incoming fire...  Unless that lasgun now has AP2, it does 1.6W to a MEQ with 9 of them.  Wow... just traded a 60-point squad for... 1.6W.

On the upside, the heavy ordinance batteries look mighty cool... though the 100mm base has me concerned about hiding them.  They will have to have ~T6 and a decent armor save or will be picked up really easily.

Kasrkin are... AWESOME!  Looking forward to those.

Have to say the preview Models look good. I am happy to see that we don't get Primarisfied. The new Heavy Weapons Teams and Sentinals are just new Models, not new Units. So you can still use your old Minis if you like and are not forced to buy the new stuff.

The Field Artillery is very nice, fits the Army well and looks good.

Only the Preview Rules seem kinda lame, both of the shown Regiment traits are okay at best.

Sadly nothing about thenew Tank

1 hour ago, Jud Cottrell said:

to come!

I figured this reveal was 80-90% of the guard’s new stuff, it’ll be interesting to see what else there is besides the tank.

have we officially seen that shotgun armed unit yet? Without going back I don’t remember if the shock troops were shown with shotties or not.

2 minutes ago, domsto said:

Have to say the preview Models look good. I am happy to see that we don't get Primarisfied. The new Heavy Weapons Teams and Sentinals are just new Models, not new Units. So you can still use your old Minis if you like and are not forced to buy the new stuff.

The Field Artillery is very nice, fits the Army well and looks good.

Only the Preview Rules seem kinda lame, both of the shown Regiment traits are okay at best.

Sadly nothing about thenew Tank

Old marines units are still usable as well. I’d say we certainly get primarisified.

we received new units that are rough replacements for older ones. Shock troops-infantry squad, FOB-HWS.

I wouldn’t be surprised if ina few years the older units might be phased out

24 minutes ago, sairence said:

I wouldn't get too annoyed about the few previewed rules at this point. They mean nothing without the rest is of the book, we should have all learned this by now. And GW has very rarely picked the really powerful stuff for preview. :)

This for sure. With the Mordian trait for example, there could be some order or benefit that only applies to Heavy type weapons

2 hours ago, Jud Cottrell said:

“Makes an attack” is the wording in the rule — that includes shooting attacks, too, right? If so, that’s a fantastic rule. It directly turns a weakness (survivability) into a strength (increased damage output). 

Original Warcom article - more images of Command, infantry and heavy weapon squads there.

Karskin models in the Kill team article.

Some of the images from the release:

Ege7QPAwwrrRREvY.jpg

New artillery: 

Spoiler

mRLX4qSt7GvjzyzT.jpg

New Sentinels:

Spoiler

RYzY8oDbgc3L1POt.jpg

F4IK5Qn6ugAbQDni.jpg

New Commissar:

Spoiler

t3ailt50z6FyvuYE.jpg

Rules preview:

Spoiler

UgJ6cpH9kAXqBDxH.jpg

Looks like they've been busy! I'm not going to lie, I was always going to be a bit underwhelmed with a Cadian refresh, even though they needed it.
I'm not sure how I feel about the new proportions - they seem too lanky and the knee pads seem weird. The lasguns are also too skinny, how are they going to handle a drop when they're that thin.

I am glad people are excited for these models. They're definitely more dynamic than the existing ones. Karskin we've seen before they do look good, but I don't plan on getting a set. Or at least, not until I know what their rules are and how they differ from Scions and the DKoK veteran guardsmen.

The heavy weapon teams seem on point though! The artillery carriages aren't as neat as the DKoK FW ones, that seems like a missed opportunity. 
Still waiting to see the new tank.

The DKoK rules seems really nice! The Mordian one... well its better than the existing one thats for sure! :teehee: Lasguns still aren't doing much damage though unless they're getting a bump in their stat line.

Edited by duz_

Yeah, I’m hoping the club I’ve just joined will allow me to use my Quadlaunchers and Heavy Mortars to represent the new

Ordnance batteries.

I reckon the new models are great but I’m left wondering what’s next? I was really hyped for today and I hope the new tank and

Roughriders are worth the wait.

Either way I’m excited for the new codex and the inevitable drip feed of new models and rules!

38 minutes ago, mertbl said:

It's the same size as a redemptor, armiger, telemon and they all get around just fine. 

Overall i'm pretty meh on most of the releases except the kasrkin. I just don't want to replace 130+ infantry and 20+ heavy weapon teams. 

You don’t have to?

Cadian shock troops are not replacing the infantry squad they’re separate units according the stream. 

roughly 23:15 you can hear them say the kit can built either as an IS or as CST, with heavy weapon or two specials respectively 

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

Looks like the "shock troops" will be a semi-replacement of veterans/special weapon teams, with both bad and good trade-offs. Just going off what has been shown-

The Good

Losing a heavy weapons team for an extra special weapon makes the shock troops more mobile than regular squads.

Being Troops they get ObSec over veterans, so are better able to take midfield objectives and hold them, and they've got more bodies than a special weapons squad (plus the extra pistol/melee weapon a sergeant confers). 

The Bad

Two special weapons are alright, but veterans could take three and a heavy flamer and a heavy weapons team, while special weapons squads had three, so less firepower coming from the shock troops than the others.

Depending on points they seem like a weird halfway unit- not quite regular infantry squad, but not elite enough to be vets. I'm undecided on how I feel about them at the moment. Hopefully they'll get some rules to clarify what exactly they are supposed to do (Armored Fist squads?). 

3 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

(Armored Fist squads?) 

This is what I was wondering too... 

I'm guessing well start seeing the drip feed of rules for the new codex soon and might answer some of these questions?

I'm excited.

I hope there's plenty of options for the Kasrkin and what I've seen so far is promising.

I really want to do a force inspired by "Cadian Blood", so Chimera mounted Cadians (ideally with autocannon Chimeras, would need the FW turret to return/plastic upgrade sprue or a new kit entirely) and Valk mounted Kasrkin (would probably do a few squads as opposed to the one though).

50 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Looks like the "shock troops" will be a semi-replacement of veterans/special weapon teams, with both bad and good trade-offs. Just going off what has been shown-

The Good

Losing a heavy weapons team for an extra special weapon makes the shock troops more mobile than regular squads.

Being Troops they get ObSec over veterans, so are better able to take midfield objectives and hold them, and they've got more bodies than a special weapons squad (plus the extra pistol/melee weapon a sergeant confers). 

The Bad

Two special weapons are alright, but veterans could take three and a heavy flamer and a heavy weapons team, while special weapons squads had three, so less firepower coming from the shock troops than the others.

Depending on points they seem like a weird halfway unit- not quite regular infantry squad, but not elite enough to be vets. I'm undecided on how I feel about them at the moment. Hopefully they'll get some rules to clarify what exactly they are supposed to do (Armored Fist squads?). 

I think maybe for SWSes but we still haven’t seen the shotgun guys yet, so I’m still not convinced we’re losing veterans yet, and the fact the CSTs are not replacing ISes reinforces that conviction for me.

now that we know it’s an either/or situation I’m pretty excited about them.

you left out them simply being troops out of the good column. I’d rather a 10 man troops unit w/ 2 specials than have a 6 man elites unit with 3 specials.

and if we get to keep HoTE I’d say the CST firepower is greater than a SWS.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

Loving what I have seen so far, only thing Im not overly bothered about is the giant lascannon, I dont dislike it, I just think they could have done better than sending an anti tank weapon across the rubicon. The mini earthshaker cannon thingy and twin nebelwerfer looking contraption are deffo going onto my priority purchase list... I LOVE them!!!! 

Hell Ill even grab some of the Cadian infantry and I dont like Cadia (Krieg or bust), I love the new helmet design and the one thing that I like the most is the knee pads being part of the trousers instead of being separate, no mold lines messing up any 'straps' holding the pads on. 

If thats the Dorn tank in the background of the box art Ill take 3 (or more). At least Valrak has 'technically' got his wish, Dorn stalks the battlefield once more. :laugh:

For the first time since Rowboat Girlyman got off the toilet and they split the galaxy Im actually pumped for a 40k release, like proper hyped (yep, captain 'always negative' nearly wet his pants with excitement)... Only thing worrying me now is the special weapon options, can we take multiples of the same weapon or is it gonna be one of each like the Renegade Guard? Other than that Im good to go with building and painting again... 

Its been a good 24 hours, I got to watch the new Hellraiser film before I passed out and woke up to some good previews. 

Guard forum painting comp when? Im sure we all have a pile of opportunity we need to get through. I sure as hell do. :laugh:

14 hours ago, Jud Cottrell said:

Yeah, I’m hoping the club I’ve just joined will allow me to use my Quadlaunchers and Heavy Mortars to represent the new

Ordnance batteries.

My 3d printed ones may get used as Ordnance batteries as they are smaller than the FW ones, more options for the option god!!!!

9 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

you left out them simply being troops out of the good column. I’d rather a 10 man troops unit w/ 2 specials than have a 6 man elites unit with 3 specials.

Yeah my 502nd Vet army is getting crowded with all the elites, would be good to clear up some slots for other things. 

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Yeah crowded elites sections seems to be a universal theme these days.

I guess that is because the standard Battalion detachment has twiceas many Elite slots as Heavy of Fast.