Guard reveals

I could be wrong but I think you get to choose which profiles for the lances depending on the target you’re charging, if you go for the frag tip every hit leads to 2 more hits! I would think you’ll still have to roll to wound but that’s pretty good!

I’m hoping these live up to my expectations for them! I love my Deathriders but they tend to bounce off targets with little to no effect!

A decent fast melee option will be most welcome.

Edited by Jud Cottrell

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Here’s my guess

M10” BS4+ WS3+ S3 A2(sgt3) W2 ld7(sgt8) Sv5+

access to bolt pistols and plasma pistols.

id go 6/(7) on the LD cant really say what the attacks of basic humans would be but no more than 2 I would bet. 

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Here’s my guess

M10” BS4+ WS3+ S3 A2(sgt3) W2 ld7(sgt8) Sv5+

access to bolt pistols and plasma pistols.

Any chance they go S4? Maybe even +1 S on a turn in which they declare a charge, to account for the strength of the horse?

That would make the Melta attack type meaningful against T 5/6. 

2 hours ago, Toldavf said:

id go 6/(7) on the LD cant really say what the attacks of basic humans would be but no more than 2 I would bet. 

I chose 7(8) to represent them having more initiative and what not being a unit that would likely be operating more in their own for the most part.

Also if they don’t integrate an attack for the horse in a special rule/strat I’d almost guarantee the base attack stat is 2 to represent the horse stomping/kicking. Iirc they used to have a separate attack for the horse.

2 hours ago, LtColKool said:

Any chance they go S4? Maybe even +1 S on a turn in which they declare a charge, to account for the strength of the horse?

That would make the Melta attack type meaningful against T 5/6. 

I definitely think a +1 to strength when charging or being charged is possible.

iirc I think empire knights had a similar rule in WHFB.

however I just don’t see them going up to a base S of 4 or higher.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

Looking at the models and what I remember from previous iterations, it looks like the frag tips will be the default and the melta will be an upgrade that can be bought for some models, I don't think it will be a profile choice thing. There are 2 very distinct tips to the Lance's to represent which version they are.

I also think that these will be on the first charge only as they used to be unless they have decided the it's possible to reload the tip of the lance effectively.

In terms of game balance, it'd be terrible if they were still one-use. Doing that for a main weapon effectively makes them useless. I don't think that'll happen though, as they haven't done it for Death Riders either in the current rules.

3 hours ago, Gaius Maximus said:

Looking at the models and what I remember from previous iterations, it looks like the frag tips will be the default and the melta will be an upgrade that can be bought for some models, I don't think it will be a profile choice thing. There are 2 very distinct tips to the Lance's to represent which version they are.

I also think that these will be on the first charge only as they used to be unless they have decided the it's possible to reload the tip of the lance effectively.

In terms of game balance, it'd be terrible if they were still one-use. Doing that for a main weapon effectively makes them useless. I don't think that'll happen though, as they haven't done it for Death Riders either in the current rules.

The reveal literally says to pic a profile before allocating attacks 

3 hours ago, Gaius Maximus said:

Looking at the models and what I remember from previous iterations, it looks like the frag tips will be the default and the melta will be an upgrade that can be bought for some models

Reading the rules and looking at the models I don't think so. 

We don't know the full profile, but it doesn't say one use only, which they previously were. It says each time the model makes an attack choose. So already allowing you to choose regardless of load out selection (presumably). 

Looking at the riders each have cannisters on their saddles. This I can only assume holds various lance heads which would allow for 

1. More than one use

2. More than one load out 

Which is great, although RR were always fun they did have extremely limited utility. If you didn't charge you didn't get to use your lances and once you used the lance they were a fairly useless unit. Now they can continue to be effective while they're alive. 

I wonder if they still get chainswords? I don't recall seeing them? And if they're still curved :biggrin:

Reading the abilities, "Each time an attack is made with this weapon profile, a successful hit roll scores 2 additonal hits"

I read that as double-exploding hits (akin to double-exploding 6s, but it's any hit).  If (for example) you hit twice, then you have a total of 6 dice to roll to wound.  If one of those initial 2 hits is a 6 with HotE, then you roll 5 dice to wound with 1 auto-wounding hit from HotE.

I'm very excited about getting buffs to my Tallarn rough riders!

I wouldn't worry to much about whether or not these new Lances are 1 use or not. I've been using rough riders for over 2 decades and they rarely live long enough to charge twice in a single game. My World Eaters Bezerkers also never survive long enough to pull off a second charge. :)

13 hours ago, OldWherewolf said:

Reading the abilities, "Each time an attack is made with this weapon profile, a successful hit roll scores 2 additonal hits"

I read that as double-exploding hits (akin to double-exploding 6s, but it's any hit).  If (for example) you hit twice, then you have a total of 6 dice to roll to wound.  If one of those initial 2 hits is a 6 with HotE, then you roll 5 dice to wound with 1 auto-wounding hit from HotE.

HotE is ranged attacks only, I doubt that's going to change. ;-)

I hope these guys have some fallback and charge or advance and charge abilty.

10 hours ago, sairence said:

HotE is ranged attacks only, I doubt that's going to change. ;-)

I hope these guys have some fallback and charge or advance and charge abilty.

I never used RR's in older 40K. Only ever my Kriegers in 8th and 9th.

I SEEM to remember (could be wrong) that RR's (And probably Death Riders by extension I'd imagine) had the "Hit and Run" USR back in the older days. I would assume that would translate to a "Fall back and charge." type affair if true.

Then again, they made 9th Ed Death Riders butterfingers with their lances, but crack-shots with their pistols and grenades; still haven't taken the maxium-10 minutes to fix that swap-just-two-single-numbers obvious-typo in almost two years. So who knows...

Edited by Dark Legionnare