Guard reveals

23 minutes ago, jarms48 said:

No way it's that big. That's basically as wide as the Baneblade, just shorter. In any kind of tournament table it's going to be nearly impossible to move around. 

The heavy bolters and their sponsons look a tiny bit oversized compared to the Russ ones. I can believe it is a tiny bit oversized in the shot, but only a tiny bit.

20 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Looks like hes on an 80mm base:laugh::ohmy:

Zounds! I hadn't realized that I thought it was a display base... but you're right and it will be mandatory. So dumb. I was just looking for a cool model to use as a conversion/proxy too. Guess I can stop.  Dear GW please put the crack pipe down and find help! 

80mm does seem a bit too large for a single character (hell the HH Primarchs are on 40mm gaming and 50mm display bases). An oval base like the rough riders would have been better imo. 

Edit: One thing I'm confused about is the choice of Leontus being the Lord Commander Solar rather than the Lord Solar or Lord Commander Militant. It may be nitpicking on my part but I don't get why they'd make a model for the guy in charge of Segementum solar as opposed to the Warmaster or the guy in charge of the whole Imperial Guard.

Edited by Harrowmaster

5 hours ago, Harrowmaster said:

Edit: One thing I'm confused about is the choice of Leontus being the Lord Commander Solar rather than the Lord Solar or Lord Commander Militant. It may be nitpicking on my part but I don't get why they'd make a model for the guy in charge of Segementum solar as opposed to the Warmaster or the guy in charge of the whole Imperial Guard.

Then they can slip out some more high level characters in charge of other segmentums  maybe? I can imagine the guy in charge of all the guard being just like the guys in Emperors Text to Speech, old, deaf and useless. 

45 minutes ago, Slave to Darkness said:

Then they can slip out some more high level characters in charge of other segmentums  maybe? I can imagine the guy in charge of all the guard being just like the guys in Emperors Text to Speech, old, deaf and useless. 

Maybe, I can't imagine the Lord Commander Militant would be much use on a battlefield. The WarCom article mentioned that he leads crusades outside of his segmentum though, which would suit a Lord Solar better imo. 

8 hours ago, Harrowmaster said:

One thing I'm confused about is the choice of Leontus being the Lord Commander Solar rather than the Lord Solar or Lord Commander Militant. It may be nitpicking on my part but I don't get why they'd make a model for the guy in charge of Segementum solar as opposed to the Warmaster or the guy in charge of the whole Imperial Guard.

Lord Solar is short for Lord Commander Solar. Macharius was Lord Commander Solar - head of Segmentum Solar's forces. Yet he led a major crusade out of his own Segmentum, into Segmentum Pacificus.

I figure that normally, the Lords Commander of each Segmentum, are bureaucrats more than warriors - but because the Lord Militant of the Imperial Guard is based on Terra just as the Lord Commander Solar is - they can sometimes do the Lord Commander Solar's bureaucratic work in addition to their own.

As a result, a Lord Commander Solar can be named a Warmaster as well, and put in charge of a crusade, without massively disrupting the organisation of their Segmentum's forces - the Lord Commander Militant can take over for them while they're leading a crusade.

That's why Macharius could do what he did do - with the Lord Commander Militant doing his Segmentum Command job for a time.

Others have been named Warmaster as well - but the Lord Commander Solar is in a better position for it than the Lords Commander of the other 4 Segmentums,  so I would guess that most Warmasters who aren't Lords Solar, are promoted from the ranks of the regular Lord Generals, rather than from the other 4 Lords Commander.

It seems this discussion of historical context of the Dorn turret is veering into the nuisances of logic. We all know that this folly in 40k. 

Although the mounting seems absurd enough to be a 40k concoction, it clearly drew inspiration from real world. 

Some people like the design, some don't. We can leave it at that. 

There is no reason to continue any further discussion on the real life parallels of the design and its implications. 

Similarly, discussing the roles, responsibilities and authority of the Lord Solar does not belong to this thread. 

If a separate one wants to be created to discuss the lore around those individuals, I'm sure it would be an interesting discussion. 

Edited by duz_

Anyone want to speculate about the effect of the platoon keyword?

im kinda thinking JOs in command squads will only be able to issue orders units with the keyword, and maybe confer an Ld benefit of some sort, or something along those lines anyway 

Edited by ImperialWarrior

3 hours ago, ImperialWarrior said:

Anyone want to speculate about the effect of the platoon keyword?

im kinda thinking JOs in command squads will only be able to issue orders units with the keyword, and maybe confer an Ld benefit of some sort, or something along those lines anyway 

I'm pretty sure I heard that platoon is the new keyword for orders in general.