Non-chaotic mutant warband, looking for tips and recommendations

I am toying with the idea of making a non-chaotic mutant warband just for fun.

The idea is that some sort of oppressed mutant population, like it exists on Sepheris Secundus (--> https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sepheris_Secundus) broke free, escaped their overlordship with some space craft and now hides from the Imperium (nomadically/ semi-nomadically?).

Maybe have them inhabit a space hulk...

They should be quite heterogenous in appearance, but with some features tieing them together (maybe specific coats).

I thought about the base for the models being hive-scum (un-aligned gangers), but am open to suggestions and then adding mutated limbs, like un-gor heads, tentacles and what not.

Anyone liking the idea and/or having suggestions/ pictures of similiar models? Help would be greatly appreciated!

For transparacys sake: I made the same post on the "Kit bash carnage - 40k convertor" group on Facebook.

(Second link: GW Hive Scum https://www.games-workshop.com/.../necromunda-hive-scum-2022)

Edited by DaBoiKyknos

If you don't mind a more "industrial" look, the Genestealer Cult Neophyte Hybrids are a pretty popular choice for that kind of thing. They are probably a bit more uniform in appearance than you are looking for, although to some extent that can be fixed with a more eclectic paint scheme

1 hour ago, DaBoiKyknos said:

Thanks, yeah I thought of them aswell. Would work too, if I made them ex-enslaved miners, too, like the guys on Sepheris Secundus.

Or any kind of industrial workers. The Genestealer Cults suits are to my understanding STC products, made for many kinds of not-nice enviorments, so you could have it for anything that's harch. 

20 hours ago, DaBoiKyknos said:

Thanks, yeah I thought of them aswell. Would work too, if I made them ex-enslaved miners, too, like the guys on Sepheris Secundus.

Hey Brother, just to share notes, here's some conversions I made using the Genestealer Cult bodies before with Skitarii helmets:

gallery_57329_13636_1052143.png

gallery_57329_13636_301613.png

gallery_57329_13636_87318.png

They were designed for a Rogue Trader project, so I painted them up like those old-timey diving suits.  You're looking for some uniformity yet some differences, like they're poorly supplied so they patch their gear as best they could, the GSC bodies do a good job with that.

The only tricky part is how you handle the GSC iconography they have hanging off their belts, etc.

If you want to say something more primitive is there the Freeguild Guard and many of the Slaves of Darkness boxes. The Ungors are good for not fully human heads, and bodies/bodyparts if you want that. There was an old example figure for a sactioned abhuman beastman variant that used a guard body with a Gor head (with the horns removed). 

Yeah, I think Beastmen parts will be used. I love the Empire range, but I think, they don´t really fit the project, sadly, not sci-fi enough. I guess you could mix them nicely to make some elite Astra Militarum or Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, though. 

Chaos Warrior Forsaken parts (I at think that´s the name of them) would be perfect for more heavily mutated guys. Sadly they went the way of the Dodo with the transition to AoS.

Edited by DaBoiKyknos