Reasonings for Post Removals

Dagoth Ur

Heya, didn't really know where else to put this but I think it might fit here. I just wanted to ask if it is common practice for the moderation/administration to remove posts without any information as to why a post was removed being provided? I've had it happen just earlier in a thread and I don't really know why - I think I adhered to the rules of the board but apparently not and I don't really know what the issue was, nor which particular mod to contact.

Maybe it's just me but I think it'd be useful to know why posts get removed so that - particularly in examples like this - one might actually learn what the issue at hand was instead of the post just getting Trotzki'd and the user left performing the confused Travolta. Wouldn't even need to be anything elaborate; a simple "Hi, your post was removed due to XYZ" by the mod in question would be sufficient, I think. If any questions were still left open then the user in question could directly write to the responsible mod and ask them.

I don't know if this is an unreasonable suggestion, it just happens to be a common practice I see on a lot of other forums that I've found quite useful and educative in the past.

Edited by Dagoth Ur
Orthography hard, yo

• 3 weeks later...

A very brief follow up...

We are developing policies and procedures to improve our communication with members, especially in areas where posts are removed/edited and topics are closed. In addition, we plan to provide more communication regarding reports (i.e., letting someone know that we have seen a report and are evaluating the issue, and then following up once we resolve the issue). You may even see more public notification when disciplinary action is taken (probably in general terms without naming names as a rule, but allowing for rare exceptions where an issue requires more public specificity).

If any members have suggestions for what they would/would not like to see, feel free to post them here. We think we have a decent plan going forward, but we don't pretend to have all of the answers.