Fast things to absorb overwatch

Lord Krungharr

My friend used 60pt Proteus speeders to absorb overwatch on me last night expertly in one of two games.  And I didn't think about it but they get +3 to charges cuz they move so fast.   

Got me thinking is it worth spending more points on speeders so they could also get some good shots on the way?  Guess it kinda depends on the points but makes sense to me to cover some more bases.  I have two javelins w MM and two lascannon.  Only 105 for those vs 60 for a nothing Proteus.  Also looking at the Jetbikes units but the lower toughness is meh.  

Any other good overwatch absorbers?  Bare bones assault squad maybe since they're Line?  If they get there great, if not they can score objectives?  My Dark Furies and Terminators would like a sponge or two to accompany them.  

1 hour ago, Marshal Mittens said:

Rhinos are 35pts. 

Sabres are cheap too, and small.

Rhinos are handy for blocking line of sight for Overwatch, but I assume what the OP is asking for is units to get into combat first and tie them up, so the charged unit has to either use their Overwatch on a less important unit, or risk getting locked in combat and missing the opportunity altogether. Vehicles obviously can’t do that, as they don’t lock people on combat. A well placed ram might send them running, but any unit you’re worried about Overwatch on may have the ability to Death or Glory a rhino.

Proteus land speeders are amazing. 85 points for a MM and HB is so so good. tthat 16" movement that can bounce over terrain is so strong. And they have Hit and Run built in!

I would recommend a couple different options besides the Land Speeder. 1 being a throw away Centurion. Like if you bring sworn brothers allies and pick a cheap Centurion with Jump pack that's a fantastic overwatch sponge. 

As a Raven Guard player a 20 man blob of despoilers with infiltrate is bananas...especially when you bring 40+ bodies to infiltrate for a turn 2 charge that eats up overwatch for your deliverers or furies. Mmmm. Those also help stop interceptor also. They so so good.

I think proteus speeders might be the best option in this role. You want something that’s got either no guns to waste or only wants to fire at whatever it’s charging. A javelin wouldn’t be a bad option in some circumstances but they tend to be armed to hit vehicles. A cheaper Javelin does the job just as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Centurions, they're easily attached to a deathstar and can be detached at will to charge in on their own while cheaper (and arguably more durable) than a Proteus.

Weirdly enough, most Primarchs are also great for this, but I've been using characters in general since unlike a speeder or jump pack unit they'll always be in the correct position for your charge while the enemy cannot stop it from happening pretty much ever.