EC Duumvirate (non-PDF, event legal) 3k

Brother Kraskor

Given the (in my view unfortunate) superstition and mistrust of PDFs, I've come up with a 3k list for EC which only uses units in the Liber itself, for your consideration fraters.

++HQ++

Eidolon (215)

- Command Squad (229) 1 Banner bearer with power sword, 5 chosen with power axes, 6 jump packs

Lucius (185) No Laer blade, sonic shrieker

- Tartaros Command Squad (225) 1 Banner bearer with thunder hammer, 4 chosen with power fists

- Land Raider Proteus (235) hull lascannon

Vigilator (95) Warlord, Broken Mirror

++Elites++

Apothecarion (90) 2 apothecaries

Contemptor Talon (360) 2 dreads, both melta cannon & fist

++Troops++

Assault Squad (160) 10 men, power fist

Tactical Squad (110) 10 men, phoenix spear

++Fast Attack++

Sky-Hunter Squadron (175) 4 jetbikes, 4 plasma cannon

++Heavy Support++

Kakophoni (275) 10 men

Heavy Support Squad (235) 8 men, 8 lascannon

Kratos (410) 4 lascannon, flashburn shells, flare shield (alternatively melta cannon)

2999pts

Vigilator chills out with tacticals and lascannon to hold down the backline, but mainly is the warlord choice for the extra shooting react. 

Edited by Brother Kraskor

I think this looks like a really cool, thematic list that can do some damage. I am very quick to point out that my observations are not those of a highly ranked tournament player, nor of someone with the most extensive play-testing and math-hammering done this edition. If I am ignorant of rules or wording on anything you have here, I apologize.

1. The most obvious concern I have is your low number of troops/units with Line. Two minimum-sized troop units at 3K in HH is risky to say the least. Now again, you may be a much more skilled and aggressive player than me who can table most opponents quickly and not worry about holding objectives. So take that with a grain of salt. The two command squads should also have Line, which brings me to my next point…

2. CAN you take two command squads in the same detachment? If so, ignore me completely on this, but I thought it was one per Warlord. Now, if it is legal, you have two additional units with Line which should help with objectives. However, given the HQs and their WS, I don’t think you intend for either to be doing any camping/staying put. You want those guys charging and attacking and then repeat. So you’re still light on Line.

3. Loadout. Honestly, I like everything but the command squads’ armaments. I would find the 5 points for 1 chainfist for the Tartaros, and at least 1 power fist for the Standard Bearer of Eidolon’s squad, if not more members. Armorbane is nothing to scoff at, and Sx2 is huge this edition, much more so than the last in my opinion. Power axes seem to suck this edition, given the bump in 2W models out there, so the axes no longer reliably drop terminators and the like anymore. You’d be much better of with more fists, or if you can’t find the points either swords or mauls on them depending on what you’re hunting with that unit. I think your results will be much more favorable with either option. Hope that helps. 

Edited by Carnivore

Thanks for the C&C Carnivore!

Very much noted on the Line issue. I agree I may struggle on that score. I am not a hugely competitive player by any means so it may be I am unnecessarily hamstringing myself here, I'll play some games and see how that goes. Re: Command squads, the only qualifier is having the Master of the Legion special rule which both Eidolon and Lucius have so the list should be legal at least.

Good point on loadouts. Points are pretty tight and I'd be loathe to drop on numbers but everything you say is also true. Would it be worth dropping the Lascannon apothecary (Kakophoni must keep theirs or they'll blow themselves up) to trick out the command squads a bit more? 45pts could get 3 chainfists into the Tartaros and 3 power fists into the jump packs, but it would make the lascannon heavies a lot squishier.

Disclaimer, I've not yet played the game. 

If I was running an Elite/Tank centric list, I would be scared of your list as you have so many ways of single shotting tanks and terminators.  It definitely feels like an anti-Elite Elite force!

To my mind, the Kratos is really cool but I'm not sure it is worth the 410 points.  As for roughly the same price you could take two Land Raiders with no upgrades (8 Lascannon Shots) or 2 Predators with all Lascannons for about 100 pts less (also 8 Lascannon Shots). 

Like I said, I've not yet played, but using those points for different tanks and/or to bulk out your troops seems wise. 

Thanks SlickSamos. Good point on the Kratos. I think the general consensus probably agrees with you that they're not all that worth it. Swapping to Preds might be a good trade (and new pretty models...!). May well be next on the purchase list!

+ HQ: +

Captain Lucius [650Pts]: Close combat weapon, Sonic Shriekers
. Command Squad, Tartaros
. . Land Raider Proteus Carrier: Twin-linked Lascannon
. . Tartaros Chosen: Chainfist, Combi-Bolter
. . Tartaros Chosen: Combi-Bolter, Power Fist
. . Tartaros Standard Bearer w/Melee Weapon: Thunder Hammer

Centurion [125Pts]: The Broken Mirror (Traitor only), Warlord
. Vigilator: Artificer Armour, Nemesis Bolter, Sub-sonic Pulser
. . Bolt Pistol
. . Chainsword: Chainsword
. Vigilator

Lord Commander Eidolon [425Pts]
. Command Squad: Warhawk Jump Pack
. . Legion Chosen: Bolter, Combat Shield
. . . Bolt Pistol
. . . Power Weapon: Power Maul
. . Legion Chosen: Bolter
. . . Bolt Pistol
. . . Bolt Pistol
. . . Bolt Pistol
. . Legion Standard Bearer: Bolt Pistol, Combat Shield, Power Fist

+ Elites: +

Apothecarion Detachment [110Pts]
. Apothecary: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol
. Apothecary: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [390Pts]
. Contemptor Dreadnought: Gravis Melta Cannon, Gravis Power Fist  with in-built ranged weapon, Meltagun
. Contemptor Dreadnought: Gravis Melta Cannon, Gravis Power Fist  with in-built ranged weapon, Meltagun

+ Troops: +

Assault Squad [175Pts]
.  Legion Assault Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Hand Flamer, Power Fist
. 9x  Legionaries (collective): 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Chainsword

Assault Squad [170Pts]
.  Legion Assault Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Power Fist
. 9x  Legionaries (collective): 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Chainsword

Tactical Squad [130Pts]
. Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter
. . Power Weapon: Phoenix Power Spear
. 8x  Legionaries (collective): 8x Bolt Pistol, 8x Bolter
. Legionary w/ Options:: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Legion Vexilla

+ Heavy Support: +

Heavy Support Squad [235Pts]: Lascannon
.  Legion Support Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol
. 7x Legionaries (collective): 7x Bolt Pistol

Kakophoni Squad [275Pts]: 9x Chora, Orchestrator

Predator Squadron  [315Pts]
. Predator: 2x Lascannons, Dozer Blade, Gravis Lascannon
. Predator: 2x Lascannons, Dozer Blade, Gravis Lascannon

++ Total: [3,000Pts] ++

Your response was so nice I had to see if I could help any more. I tried to stay as true to your original list as possible. I dropped the Kratos and gave you two lascannon Predators in its place to keep a similar amount of anti-tank. I dropped the jet bikes in favor of getting some valuable upgrades on key units that should really help survivability. Namely, artificer armor on apothecaries and sergeants. I also got you another assault squad for one more aggressive Line unit to contest and hold objectives. 

I gave you a chainfist and a power fist in each command squad, respectively, to help add some Sx2 punch to each unit with that all-important Weapon Skill 5. I also gave the Vigilator a subsonic pulser to help with morale and a Nemesis Bolter so he can snipe characters with the heavy weapons boys and the kakophoni. Let me know what you think!

You are very kind to take the time Carnivore! I think your list is definitely a bit more robust. Looks like I will need to get my hands on some more assault marines...! I know artificer sergeants is pretty widespread but theres something about the Sgt diving in front of bullets that feels a bit off for me, but if everyones doing it...!