Kraken Kult: Building a GSC Army

brother_b

Just some regular workers ready to toil against… the oppressors!

large.IMG_5435.jpeg.da75a248f3e730c809da

I’m slowly grinding onwards. I’ve got I believe 3 seismic cannons, 3 webbers, 3 grenade launchers, 2 icons, and 3 leaders to finish. I’ll add a few more base neophytes as well to take my total up to 60!

After that it’s on to the rock grinders, aberrants, ancolytes, genestealers, and some more characters. I feel I’m making progress and getting closer to being done.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more for the Kraken Kult:

The first of at least 10 acolytes (will go satchel charges).

large.IMG_5540.jpeg.11d92935102275551786

The unit leader, complete with power maul.

large.IMG_5543.jpeg.acaff3e0db52dcbf1733

Two more neophytes, armed with webbers to hold down the non-believers.

large.IMG_5545.jpeg.3071e89c82773e7415a1

I also finished another seismic cannon and will start work on hopefully the last batch (for a while) of neophytes. I’ve got a couple more icon, grenade launchers, basic troops, and leaders. I’ve got about 4-5 more heavy weapons too.

I’ve also built my kellermorph and saboteur, which I’ll sprinkle in to the mix.

After that it’s two rockgrinders, some aberrants, another couple characters, and the last of the acolytes and I’ll be done with the current army idea!

Thanks for letting me share!

• 3 weeks later...

I slowed down a bit to finish some chaos knights and build the Old World Bretonnia box. I’m still working on that, building is not my strong suit.

Here are some loyal guardsmen from the Planetary Defense Force.

large.IMG_5641.jpeg.3d2cd7759204f184eb52

Loyal to the Four Armed Emperor that is…

I have no intention of making a full brood brothers contingent or even a unit. I just thought these guys would slot well into my neophyte squads and give a little variety.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

large.IMG_6621.jpeg.62dc3dbf5562e46cfd50

The name is Morph, Keller Morph.

Next up will be the saboteur, and then a few more neophytes before moving on to my acolytes. Slowly the uprising grows.

Will be just in time for the upcoming event too. I’m going to do some work on more units for the event, including some vehicles.

Until next time my brothers, all hail the Four Armed Emperor!

Posted (edited)

I started these gentlemen prior to the event. A grenade launcher and seismic cannon. I’ll have to take stock of my miniatures I’m not sure how many special weapons I’ve got now. Or neophytes for that matter!

Im currently working on another aberrant for the challenge. I’ll try and get him up and done soon as I can.

large.IMG_6832.jpeg.9de47c860ff1fcc05b22

Edit: Added a kraken faced aberrant from my pledge!

large.IMG_6838.jpeg.6a98796294a3f0a781db

Edited by brother_b

Three of five aberrants done for my pledge.

large.IMG_6898.jpeg.df290921357d875bea2b

Once I’m done with these guys hopefully later this week I’ll probably take a break from aberrants and do a seismic cannon and flamer neophyte. 

For further plans I have an idea for an iconward kit bash I’ll likely make.

Also I really don’t know what I’m building towards which is never a good idea. Maybe a xenocreed build because I love the neophytes but the broodsurge is also calling. My codex arrives soon and I’ll have a much better idea!

10 hours ago, brother_b said:

Also I really don’t know what I’m building towards which is never a good idea. Maybe a xenocreed build because I love the neophytes but the broodsurge is also calling. My codex arrives soon and I’ll have a much better idea!

You and me both. brother!

I have a mixed list, but I wanna go melee first, so I think that means Xenocreed probably? I think Broodsurge is next on the horizon for me though, if just for purestrain spam. Probably gonna try and sort out a few more aberrants and an Abominant for that still though.

List 1990 list rn:

2x Iconward

Patriarch

2x Primus

1x10 mining tool Acolytes

2x5 flamer Acolytes

2x20 Neophytes

1x10 Nephytes

1x Goliath

2x Rockgrinder

2x 5 Jackals

2x1 Ridgerunner

1x10 Metamorphs

2x5 Purestrains

The aberrants are looking real spicy! Keep it up!

Cheers,

TheGood Doctor.

1 hour ago, Dr. Clock said:

You and me both. brother!

I have a mixed list, but I wanna go melee first, so I think that means Xenocreed probably? I think Broodsurge is next on the horizon for me though, if just for purestrain spam. Probably gonna try and sort out a few more aberrants and an Abominant for that still though.

Wow your army selection looked similar to what I have in the works. I probably won’t run jackals if I go creed or surge. Likely I’d add a character or two, or try and make another large brick or melee acolytes.

Brood surge with infiltrating abominant and biophagus metamorphs sounds interesting, as does iconward metamorphs. I’d have to build a lot of metamorphs lol.

Big brick of genestealers and a patriarch with lots of MSU genestealers also sounds great.

I’ll definitely need at least a couple of ridgerunners though, and can see me pushing to 60 neophytes.

My only concern is hard targets like high toughness tanks. Melee vs. tanks is iffy. Shooting, I’m not sure we have enough dedicated in the detachments I’m leaning towards.

1 hour ago, brother_b said:

Melee vs. tanks is iffy

Acolytes w/ Anti-vehicle 4+ should get some mileage, esp. with Primus. 1 unit may not be enough for can opening though, I agree... Rockgrinders are good armour distractors, but they struggle to finish the job on big tanks or melee walkers.

1 hour ago, brother_b said:

I probably won’t run jackals if I go creed or surge.

Yes - fair. They're just SOOO COOOOOL! Dropping them for another 5 Acolytes or 10 Neos and third Primus is probably stronger for Creed, and other MSU options likely preferred in broodsurge. I only play friendly, so I'm definitely okay with up to like 20% of a list being pure rule of cool. Indeed, we most often play narratively at 2100 points to give everyone a higher characters budget (+1 minimum character up to 100pt value and non-Epic, with no enhancements). In that scenario I simply add a Sanctus and Kelermorph to get to 2100 exactly.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Well I finally got my hands (claws, talons?) on the codex. I’m torn about what I should build. Here are some thoughts on the codex regarding possible builds. Also some questions about how some of the units have changed.

Units:

Kellermorph- No more drop in and snipe a character. Instead he’s just a really good shooter. What are his targets supposed to be?

He can’t threaten hard targets, nor can he wipe out enough soft targets to avoid counter fire. Of course he s lone operative but his weapons range  is only 12”.

What do I use him for? Protecting my back objectives?

Aberrants- Something I missed in all the codex reads on YouTube was that the hypermorphs got nerfed. No more tail attacks. That’s lame.

Magus- Such a wasted opportunity. The unit is just worthless. Even in a Xenocreed army, why would I ever take that unit?

Builds:

Broodsurge- This army is calling to me but would require lots more building as I’ve focused on making a huge swarm of neophytes. I’d have to make more abberants, build a ton of metamorphs (okay at least 10), lots of acolytes, and of course 15-20 genestealers and a patriarch.

I may just do that. Go MSU heavy with some infiltrating units of aberrants and Genestealers with a dose of metamorphs for early pressure.

Xenocreed- I feel I’ve built for this way more. I’ve got a bunch of neophytes with some character support on the way. I might try this first.

Ascension- Or these guys. Just go index style and look for primus powered big neophyte blobs. This also feels like a good build.

Any thoughts my 4-armed brethren? 

I'm going to try the Broodsurge, partly because I really liked the Twisted Helix back in the day. A big unit of infiltrating aberrants with scouting genestealers for early pressure, more aberrants in a second wave, and something to hold the backline.

I also like to look of the Ascension one - nephytes dropping in with a primus (with Chink) and the Primed stratagem, and you have a lot of shooting that triggers both lethal and sustained hits on 5s, has full rerolls to hit and ignores cover.

(And if the enemy shoot at you, you can disappear and do it again.)

Posted (edited)

Yes Helix would be a go to in the old codex.

I’m going to try and point up some options. We’ll see where it takes me but I’m feeling I’ll need around 10 total aberrants, same for metamorphs, and a bunch of genestealers.

Where does the primus fall in all of this for a broodsurge?

Ascension really feels one trick pony but I think could get real play with some follow-up melee units moving aggressively after the large neophyte blobs drop.

And still would love feedback on what Mr. Kellermorph is supposed to do.

Edited by brother_b

6 hours ago, Rogue said:

I'm going to try the Broodsurge, partly because I really liked the Twisted Helix back in the day. A big unit of infiltrating aberrants with scouting genestealers for early pressure, more aberrants in a second wave, and something to hold the backline.

I'm also officially doing this first, having actually read the codex, but I don't quite fancy the Aberrants theme, so it's triple Biophagus and max purestrain to spread the detachment rules out more.

Next game with them I'll go back to Congregation probably and do the 6-8 character build, but I just need to see what the niche melee build can do.

So list for tomorrow (2100 points for narrative - at 2k obviously drop some jackals and Iconward swaps to Sanctus or something : P ):

Iconward

3x Biophagus (Alien Majesty)

Patriarch (Biomorph)

10 pistol Acolytes (Bio)

1x5 flamer Acolytes

3x10 Neophytes

1x5 Aberrants (Majestic Bio)

1x10 Metamorphs (Iconward / Bio)

2x10 Purestrain (Patriarch)

1x5 Purestrain

1x Truck (Neophytes)

2x Rockgrinder (Aberrants / Acolytes)

2x1 Ridgerunner

2x5 Jackals

Plan is honestly just 'make 8" charges' with some sneaky Rapid Ingressing and Stimulated Biosurging to shorten those charges... Jackals are pure turn 1 flank screen, bait and action doers, while Neos are obligatory backline defense + annoying goliath squad. Probably challenge one flank objective with truck convoy, but avoid centre push so that big hitters can push there when I full send turn 2 lol.

I'm... way more stoked for this than last time I used the army (just after Cult Ambush nerf).

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dr. Clock said:

So list for tomorrow…

Please report back, here or in your own thread. I don’t think I can manage triple biophagus but I do very much respect the idea.

Im super interested to see how long this army can last on the table and what type of board control you exert.

Edited by brother_b

17 minutes ago, brother_b said:

Please report back

I shall - probably start a new thread for codex game reporting : )

17 minutes ago, brother_b said:

triple biophagus

Honestly I'm going to just use my Primus, Magus and like a Delaque weirdo for these tomorrow. I have a personal rule against buying clamshell characters, and for now if they're all the same buff character it won't be hard to tell them apart. I do have some Cawdor polearm bits to maybe try and kitbash some if this game goes well, but it's proxies for game 1.

23 minutes ago, brother_b said:

how long this army can last on the table

You and me both, brother. It's a deceptive number of wounds though at ~150 infantry and mounted, although admittedly a full third of those are purestrains... plus 50 vehicle wounds for an overall ~10pt per wound average feels... passable, assuming average recursion. This is definitely a glass hammery build, but if turn 2 connects and/or I do get more than average units returning, I think it could hang.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.