Experiences into Death Guard?

TheNewman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

++ Super-Heavy Detachment 0CP (Chaos - Chaos Knights) [100 PL, 4CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [6CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Detachment Command Cost

Game Type: 4. Chapter Approved: War Zone Nephilim

+ Lord of War +

Knight Abominant [22 PL, 430pts]: Coruscating Hate, House Herpetrax, The Storm Malevolent

Knight Desecrator [22 PL, -1CP, 435pts]: Corrupted Heirlooms, House Herpetrax, Reaper chainsword, The Diamonas, Tzeentch - Pyrothrone, Winds of the Warp

Knight Despoiler [24 PL, -1CP, 525pts]: Bow to None (Herpetrax), Character (Traitoris Lance), Daemonbreath thermal cannon, Despoiler gatling cannon and heavy darkflamer, Diabolus heavy stubber, House Herpetrax, Ruinspear rocket pod, Stratagem: Warlord Trait, Warlord

War Dog Executioner Squadron [16 PL, 310pts]: House Herpetrax
. War Dog Executioner: Diabolus heavy stubber
. War Dog Executioner: Diabolus heavy stubber

War Dog Stalker Squadron [16 PL, 300pts]: House Herpetrax
. War Dog Stalker: Daemonbreath spear, Havoc multi-launcher, Slaughterclaw
. War Dog Stalker: Avenger chaincannon, Havoc multi-launcher, Reaper chaintalon

++ Total: [100 PL, 4CP, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Edited by TheNewman

If your enemy is fielding termies or any other model with 3 wounds, you'll love the battlecannon on your despoiler.  If you feel that takes away too much of your "anti big stuff", swap the avenger chaincannon on the stalker for a demonbreath there.  Or make it a huntsman with a hullmounted melta.

My own knight list is very similar to yours in terms of units (I field a ravager rather than the desecrator, but can't speak to whether one or the other is better), and my wardogs have been the same loadout as yours - that said, I haven't been impressed by the chaincannon/talon build, as I think they are better at shooting the big stuff and meleeing the small stuff which makes the melta/sword loadout better, with the decision on whether to make them stalkers or huntsmen depending on whether the havoc or the hull melta compliments your list better.

On 12/14/2022 at 1:36 AM, Dr_Ruminahui said:

If your enemy is fielding termies or any other model with 3 wounds, you'll love the battlecannon on your despoiler.  If you feel that takes away too much of your "anti big stuff", swap the avenger chaincannon on the stalker for a demonbreath there.  Or make it a huntsman with a hullmounted melta.

Unfortunately, while the Death Guard rock a lot of three wound models (Blighlords and Deathshroud), they have innate Damage resistance so only take 2 of the three damage, it's still useful for killing a plague marine for each failed save though (D3 becomes 2 is much more efficent than D2 becomes 1 on 2 wound models).

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 3:09 AM, Tokugawa said:

It is a very easy matchup for you. DG don't have the damage output which could table you, they earn VP from board control. And you can shut down their obsec in turn 4 and 5.

My experience is: 

If they manage to deliver their Darkshroud Termies, then the sun will go down for you. 

• 2 months later...

Conversely, I've been hammered twice by Chaos Knights, I don't see how they can lose against an army not specifically designed to counter them. Take the upgrade that stops your opponent rerolling against you and hitting on better than a 4+ on one big knight, then the 5++ FNP on the abominant, which is disgusting on a 28W model, and you have 2 really hard to deal with things. 

Well, from my experience they can definitely lose against an unoptimized list, provided that list can out score the chaos knights.  I had a game where I tabled my friend's necrons (whose biggest weakness is lots of vehicles and D3 weapons) but still lost on victory points.

Yea, I gave a quick battle report in my blog where I muse on how to beat them - outscoring is great if you have some non-interactive ones like the knights do, however BA don't have too many - I need to get into your DZ, into the middle, kill your models etc. I did make many misakes in that game and want a rematch! 

I've played against Deathguard a couple of times with my knights, Never against Mortarian. I didn't find the match-up too bad. I forcused on killing big threats first (like myophic blight haulers with the meltaguns). The -1 damage isn't a big deal, as I'm either Damage 1, or 3+ damage. I run one desecrator and 10 wardogs.