How to list build for Space Wolves

dees

I’ve been reading a fare bit of topics/posts and watching videos regarding how to play with Space Wolves lately.  This is mainly because I’ve played tank heavy Astra Militarum exclusively for a few months and want to change it up a bit.  Despite all I’ve seen I’m not sure the direction to take while list building with what I have available, but if you don’t mind I’d like to run this sample list by you friends.

It’s a Space Wolves 2000 point battalion:

1x Captain on Bike, Power Fist and Relic Teeth of Terra, War Lord Trait Warrior Born

1x Librarian with Jump Pack, Force Sword, WLT Majesty, Relic AOR, Storm Caller and Murderous Hurricane  

4x Packs of 5 Blood Claws

2x Sky Claw Packs of 6 including a Wolf Guard, 3 Melta Guns and Combi-Melta

3x Venerable Dreads with Great Wolf Claws and Multimeltas

2x Packs of 5 Wolf Guard Terminators with Combi-Meltas and Chain Fists

2x Packs of 3 Eradicators with one Multimelta each.

The idea is to have the Sky Claws and Terminators wait to deep strike while the other units move into the mid-board being protected by the Librarian…cough Rune Priest…using Storm Caller and Cloaked by the Storm.  There is no long range fire support so I really need to play aggressively with movement in the first and second turns.  Once in position there are plenty of melta shots to do work.  It’s not terribly original and won’t sneak up on even moderately experienced players, but having good melee punch and strong shooting (albeit short ranged) should give me a chance once I get into threat range…I hope anyway.    

Honestly seems like a fairly solid aggressive list, with plenty of redundancy.

One thing id maybe suggest simply as its the way I like to run them is to swap out the ven dreads for wulfen dreads, youll sacrifice a bit of shooting but with an 8" move and reroll charges (and 4++ save) they can put the pressure on early and can be harder to knock out. I run two with murderfang so they can tank for him.

Youd be losing the multimeltas but already have a lot of melta anyway between the terminators, skyclaws and eradicators. You can get twin heavy flamers of the Wulfen Dreads too so could help with some horde clearance if needed (if a bit swingy)

Thanks DanPesci.  I hadn't thought about using wulfen dreds.  Thinking about it I like the idea.  I'll have to do some remodeling but that's not a bad thing usually.  I may have to mix and match different dreads based on what I have though.  I have Murderfang but swap arms on him to make other builds.  I'll go digging through the bits book later to see what I can rig up.   

On 10/21/2022 at 5:12 PM, dees said:

Thanks DanPesci.  I hadn't thought about using wulfen dreds.  Thinking about it I like the idea.  I'll have to do some remodeling but that's not a bad thing usually.  I may have to mix and match different dreads based on what I have though.  I have Murderfang but swap arms on him to make other builds.  I'll go digging through the bits book later to see what I can rig up.   

Ah yeah I wasnt sure how much you had built or had options wise, but I think itd be a good option for you (or if not, at least fun!)

The totally absent of wulfen feels uncomfortable.  

Out of interest what would you swap out of the above list for wulfen?

Having goon though my bits I can make Murderfang and 1 Wuflen dread.  Thinking about bringing in Wulfen with my rule of always having redundancy I'd take 2 units costing 300 points.  To do that I'd drop a dread (still having 2 after) and reduce the Skyclaws to have have 5 with 3 meltaguns, then would still need to drop one Bloodclaw pack.  As effective as Wulfen are in combat plus their reroll charge aura that could work nicely.