=][= THOUGHT FOR THE DAY =][=

As you've probably noticed, you can now see the Thought for the Day (TfTD) appearing at the top of the main forum page:

image.thumb.png.7afb3d8f4fe8b8318ea334acf94772a1.png

To keep it from becoming [too much of] a problem, it only appears on the main forum page (for now). You won't see it at the top of forums, sub-forums, topics, clubs, etc. Some of the longer quotes can take up considerable space, especially for those members viewing the site on mobile devices, so limiting the quote to the main forum page makes this fun little bit of immersion relatively innocuous.

The TfTD is generated from a list that has been compiled from various sources. While it's called the "Thought for the Day," many of the "thoughts" were not published as such by Games Workshop, but instead appeared as flavor text in various publications. There are also a few special days whose quotes are derived from other sources. Some of these are appropriate to the setting as-is, but some have been edited slightly to be suitably grimdark. While we started with a long list of special days, we ruled most out and limited the special days to a very small number. On those special days (I won't tell you what they are, the game is to see who can figure them out), the system will post the assigned thought. On other days, the system will randomly select a thought from the list, ignoring those that have already been used. Once all of the quotes have been used, the system resets.

The TfTD changes at midnight Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), what some of us grew up calling Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).

If Games Workshop provides new thoughts or suitable quotes/flavor text, we can add them to the list.

50 minutes ago, Joe said:

It's a clever addition - I like it. I'm just waiting for the day it goes rogue and randomly insults someone.

The abominable intelligence has assured us that it doesn't hold any disdain for rumormongers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note that I have temporarily (?) moved the TfTD to the sidebar as we continue to experiment. It will stay there for at least a few days - I want to see how it looks when one of the longer thoughs/quotes appears.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Captain Coolpants said:

Site sponsored by Ovaltine now? :biggrin:

I checked and that's actually the default (either set up by sibomots or a really long time ago :D).

I believe it has finished the sequence, so we need to modify something to make it wrap around back to the beginning.

Either way, that's legit the thing it's supposed to say, so the site hasn't been compromised or anything.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion