Victoria Minature Rough Riders

duz_

It's a shame that some of these "proxy" companies don't think a bit more outside the box and go for something a bit more radical... like alien mounts or more of a sci-fi look to the riders and tack on the horses. Apart from the lance, that could be a modern day horse-trooper. 

I'd have much rather seen a more imaginative mount and rider...

10 hours ago, Inso said:

It's a shame that some of these "proxy" companies don't think a bit more outside the box and go for something a bit more radical... like alien mounts or more of a sci-fi look to the riders and tack on the horses. Apart from the lance, that could be a modern day horse-trooper. 

That’s a big risk for them. 
None standard mounts will be increasingly niche the more exotic they become.

10 hours ago, Inso said:

these "proxy" companies don't think a bit more outside the box

That's fair, although I feel 3D printing can fill this void too. Especially for radical stuff. A take on the Tallarn dinos would be neat. 

I am very partial to these. Although I might be bias, since these take inspiration from the 10th Light Horse. Which is a regiment from my home state and we used to have parade at their barracks. 

Leave GW to do the radical designs for mounts, give it a few more years when they run out of ideas and other franchises to rip off an we may end up with double headed eagle mounts for everyone. Victoria Miniatures is catering to those that GW has forgotten about. 

People always use the cost of mold making etc for reasons why GW doesnt develop new kits, even though they can deffo afford it, smaller companies not so much, its easier and less risk involved if they just play it safe. 

Would like to see some Tallarn lizard horses though. 

3 hours ago, Slave to Darkness said:

Leave GW to do the radical designs for mounts, give it a few more years when they run out of ideas and other franchises to rip off an we may end up with double headed eagle mounts for everyone. Victoria Miniatures is catering to those that GW has forgotten about. 

People always use the cost of mold making etc for reasons why GW doesnt develop new kits, even though they can deffo afford it, smaller companies not so much, its easier and less risk involved if they just play it safe. 

Would like to see some Tallarn lizard horses though. 

Two headed eagle mount?

then they’re just ripping themselves off at that point.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Amber-Battle-Wizard-on-Imperial-Griffon

2 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Two headed eagle mount?

then they’re just ripping themselves off at that point.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Amber-Battle-Wizard-on-Imperial-Griffon

Wow I didnt know that was an actual mini...

Wouldnt be the first time they have ripped themselves off, they do have Space Marines in AoS. :laugh:

Edited by duz_

I've already told my group that if Tanith get adequate mechanical support 

(Basically Guard being a functional army without spamming tanks and plasma, sniper rifles being buffed to not be completely useless) I'd do them next

These riders will do quite nicely...

Much easier to convert than the Atilans, even if the new plastics don't look bad at all.

Think this will be replacing their current rough rider conversion kit? If so I think Ill wait before getting some of their Cav, these look much better, torsos are separate so they will work with any of their regiment bodies. 

11 minutes ago, mertbl said:

the noose is a little odd. 

I agree, I ignored it at first thought it had to do with the lance, but it's not. 

Apparently it's a neck rope and cavalry did use them... For reasons... :ermm:

So I guess I can live with it? 

11 hours ago, duz_ said:

. For reasons...

To allow you to tie your horse up, usually for picket grazing, but also if you just needed to tie them up somewhere while you were dismounted and needed to go.. say, into a tent to deliver a message, recieve orders, go to the john, etc etc etc.

You wouldnt want to/couldnt (depending on the make/style of reins) tie up your horse using the reins as they would either be too stiff/unyeilding to tie with, and also doing so would damage them and shorten their life before needing replacement.

in general riding you would use a seperate head collar when leading/tying up/other on the ground interactions, but when out and about, having the picket rope as part of the bridle would mean you didnt need to also carry the head collar (that would usually be left in the tack room/stables)

Edited by spafe

On 10/19/2022 at 8:50 AM, Inso said:

There are companies that do all sorts of things, more historical based stuff has always been what VM offers. I'm sure there are companies working on Science fiction mounts right now but asking for Sharklizards from VM is like asking for conservative dress codes from Raging Heroes or for humans from that one company I can't remember that mostly makes Orks,