Slump ... Replacement for Painting Ceramite White?

I've had pretty good luck with using P3 (Privateer Press) Morrow White, but availability is sketchy depending on where you are, and most people will tell you to use a soft-bodied artist's acrylic paint like Golden, or ProAcryl, as they have increased pigment density.

I'll also drop Juan Hidalgo's White Scars video here in case it helps

Edited by Firedrake Cordova
clarity

15 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

I love my red and white color scheme, but I hate painting the white can anyone recommend a replacement for ceramite white that doesn’t take so many damn layers?

i just can’t get excited about painting my bois when I think of painting the white.

can you post your scheme ?

For painting “true” white, I use the aforementioned Golden heavy body artist acrylic Titanium White that I thin out, ProAcryl Bold Titanium White, and either Daler Rowney FW White or Liquitex Titanium White acrylic ink, depending on what I’m using it for - all are a better white than what GW offers, and other than ProAcryl, should be more readily available in craft or art stores than GW offerings as well.

One thing I don’t do any more is paint pure white items on models - build them up from light greys, either warm or cold versions, depending on the look you are going for in the end - to me that ends up looking much more realistic than painting something pure white and then working to shade down (it can be done, but you usually end up covering so much of the white, it begs the question whether it was worth it to do that way).

Edited by Bryan Blaire

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to preface this by saying EVERY paint I mention here has been transferred to a dropper bottle with an agitator and thinned with medium, and sometimes I don't bother with my wet palette, but ALWAYS use it with whites.

Warm White (browns)

Base with Wraith one (pot or spray).

Shade with 50/50 Seraphim Sepia/Lahmian Medium.

Layer Wraithbone.

Layer 50/50 Palid Wych Flesh / Corax White

Edge Corax White.

This is above, without the edge,

PXL_20221104_232214847.jpg

If you prefer cooler whites (based in greys) swap Wraithbone for Grey Seer, and Sepia/Lahmian for 50/50 Apothecary White / Contrast Medium.

Edited by Grotsmasha

I feel betrayed! I just opened my (still sealed!) Corax white and it was mostly a lump of sludge sitting in dark grey medium. Even after stirring the remaining paint is so close to ulthuan grey I can’t use it to highlight - I bought some Whitescar yesterday to try but wish I’d read this thread first…