First Black Templar (and 40k model)

Sigismund

(I've just realised this might be in the wrong area of the forum. Apologies for that!) 

Hi everyone! My eternal crusade started a few months back after I finally caved under peer pressure and bought a load of black templar models. They seemed to resonate with me! 

Anyway, here is my first Sword Brother (although he has an axe because.. I like axes) 

I found the edge highlighting more of a challenge than I thought I would and I think I went a bit too strong in places. For my first effort though, I was really happy with the shoulder pads. 

16663893761001464127129490903347.jpg

16663893582036842920052794593870.jpg

Edited by Sigismund

Welcome to the Eternal Crusade, brother!

This is definately the correct section for your post. That is a most excellent first attempt at a painted mini. Would that my first was painted that well!

I agree with your own critique that your edge highlight on the black is a bit too stark. That's most definately something you'll get the hang of with practise. Did you only use that one highlight tone? Try using several different highlight tones, with a less stark one for most of the edges, then saving the starker tone for fewer edges that'd catch more light than the others (like upward facing ones, corners, like the tip of the mouthpiece of the helmet). This is not advice I typically give to some with just one mini under their belt.

On 10/22/2022 at 5:10 PM, Marshal Reinhard said:

Welcome to the Eternal Crusade, brother!

This is definately the correct section for your post. That is a most excellent first attempt at a painted mini. Would that my first was painted that well!

I agree with your own critique that your edge highlight on the black is a bit too stark. That's most definately something you'll get the hang of with practise. Did you only use that one highlight tone? Try using several different highlight tones, with a less stark one for most of the edges, then saving the starker tone for fewer edges that'd catch more light than the others (like upward facing ones, corners, like the tip of the mouthpiece of the helmet). This is not advice I typically give to some with just one mini under their belt.

Hey Marshal! 

Thanks for the advice, really useful and I'll definitely take it on board. I did use a darker highlight underneath but it's just basically been masked by the ridiculously bright highlights above it.

I'm not entirely sure what colours to pick to highlight for black. These were recommended on a video I watched, perhaps I really need to tone down the top layer.

Thanks again.

I think he looks great. Fine job. 

The thing about highlights/blending etc is you are going to hear a million opinions on this. There are believers that you only use greys/whites, etc. There are those that believe it should be a colour that builds to black in the spectrum of blues/purples/greens even. 

There is no right answer for this. If you take it down a notch, and use a wet palette and create your spectrum of low to highlights, you'll end up with a better selection of increment highlight colours. 

IMG_3648.JPG

Above is just to show you what I do. I've been down a lot of roads on highlighting blacks. There's a ton of fun ways to do this, and none have to have the same recipe.

Edited by Prot