New to Adeptus Custodes

Go to solution Solved by Noserenda,

Hi I'm getting back into 40k seriously as a hobby and I want to play the Talons of the Emperor and was wondering what suggestions you would have for a newcomer to the faction and 9th Edition. I've only played CSM in the past.

Welcome! 

Id day to begin with Trajan and 3x 3-4 man squads of Custodians is a good start. 

After that the terminators are amazing looking models and pretty good (I know people had been taking multiples but I think 1 box would be enough). The bikes are always popular too, so a couple boxes of them (one could be a jet bike captain). 

From there you need to decide if you want to dabble in FW or not. Unfortunately that's where a lot of heavy support is... Particularly the Caladius and Telemon. 

SoS in my opinion are really only an option if you're really short on points and a few more will make your list work. Thats because only 1 of the 3 load outs are troops (the bolters) and you can't have more SoS troops than Custard troops. 

Have you thought about what scheme you're going to paint them? 

• Solution

Id probably look at the Combat patrol box to get started, gives you a mix of units and i actually like the Anathema :P 

Cant go too far wrong with Valoris though, even if you run him as a Shield captain at first hes a good, distinct HQ mini.

3 hours ago, duz_ said:

Welcome! 

Id day to begin with Trajan and 3x 3-4 man squads of Custodians is a good start. 

After that the terminators are amazing looking models and pretty good (I know people had been taking multiples but I think 1 box would be enough). The bikes are always popular too, so a couple boxes of them (one could be a jet bike captain). 

From there you need to decide if you want to dabble in FW or not. Unfortunately that's where a lot of heavy support is... Particularly the Caladius and Telemon. 

SoS in my opinion are really only an option if you're really short on points and a few more will make your list work. Thats because only 1 of the 3 load outs are troops (the bolters) and you can't have more SoS troops than Custard troops. 

Have you thought about what scheme you're going to paint them? 

I wanted to get the codex and see the variety of company official paint schemes as well as take a look at 30k/40k art for more inspiration.