do the rules fit the lore?

Medjugorje

I had an idea, but I'm not sure what the law of unintended consequences would be. The hope was these changes would make Marines feel tough, keep the army elite. Points can always be adjusted, but there's a minimum that should feel right and the rules should be strong enought to support that minimum. This should also keep the army footprint smaller than normal human/xenos armies.

• No Armor of Contempt
  • Astartes standard save is 2+ (including vehicles)
  • Terminator armor and Land Raider save is 1+ (but still fails on an unmodified roll of 1)
  • Crux Terminatus and Power of the Machine Spirit (added to data sheet and the PotMS strat gets renamed) give a 5+ ignore mortal wounds instead of an invulnerable save
  • Storm Shields reduce incoming damage by 1 (to a minimum of 1)
  • Astartes vehicles all increase their Toughness by one compared to current values
  • Combat Doctrines lose their current effect and do something else (see below)
  • All Astartes weapons have an additional AP compared to current values

Combat Doctrines should be linked to the organization ideas stressed since the 8th edition codex and the progression stressed since 2nd edition. Every data sheet should have one of the following keywords: LINE, CLOSE SUPPORT, HEAVY SUPPORT. Assault Doctrine affects CLOSE SUPPORT, Devastator Doctrine affects HEAVY SUPPORT, and LINE can choose which effect they are under at the start of their turn (or is affected by both?). I'd want the effects to be offensive, but I'm not sure what they would be.

Alternatively, drop Combat Doctrines, have each data sheet have LINE, CLOSE SUPPORT, or HEAVY SUPPORT, and certain strats say they don't cost CP or cost reduced CP when used by a unit with that keyword.

20 hours ago, BLACK BLΠFLY said:

Stuart Black is hiring.

I was seriously considering trying to go pro for game design after graduating, but none of the companies were places I wanted or could move to. I stayed connected and was part of FFG's play test group for awhile, before they went all in-house.

22 hours ago, BLACK BLΠFLY said:

Stuart Black is hiring.

One thing that really grinds my gears is things like when people want the Emperor’s  Champion to buff the army… that is not lore.

The EC should be badass and should have more abilities like a inbuild 6" devout push ( but towards characters instead of objective markers) and there should be more support rules and a bit cheaper but he never should buff the army with auras or chaptermaster`like rules. 

I’ve never had any problems getting him into close combat. He’s a metal beast too.

special rules:

-1 to hit in melee

reroll hits and wounds versus enemy characters

6" heroic intervention

two fighting stances

Edited by BLACK BLΠFLY

On 11/19/2022 at 5:51 AM, BLACK BLΠFLY said:

I’ve never had any problems getting him into close combat. He’s a metal beast too.

special rules:

-1 to hit in melee

reroll hits and wounds versus enemy characters

6" heroic intervention

two fighting stances

just compare him to the chaos daemons equivalent, the skulltaker.

the skulltaker costs 110 points, but his statline is 6"M 2+WS 3+BS 6S 6T 5W 6A 8Ld 4+DS, his sword is str user, ap-3, d3, ignores invulns, he rerolls hits and wounds vs characters, each time he kills a character he increases his ability ranges by 3" to a max of 12", gives an aura of reroll 1's to wound for core units within 6", and can add +1 to hit for a friendly core unit within 6". and his warlord trait means that you cannot ignore any wounds that he causes. 

imo the emperors champion should also ignore invulns and you shouldnt be able to ignore wounds that he causes, and he shouldve gotten the +1 attack when he became primaris. he doesnt need aura abilities but he needs more punching power against characters, or to re roll hits and wounds against everything to make him worth it. hes been power crept and needs some love, like most space marine units/rules.

1 hour ago, The Emperors Champion22 said:

just compare him to the chaos daemons equivalent, the skulltaker.

the skulltaker costs 110 points, but his statline is 6"M 2+WS 3+BS 6S 6T 5W 6A 8Ld 4+DS, his sword is str user, ap-3, d3, ignores invulns, he rerolls hits and wounds vs characters, each time he kills a character he increases his ability ranges by 3" to a max of 12", gives an aura of reroll 1's to wound for core units within 6", and can add +1 to hit for a friendly core unit within 6". and his warlord trait means that you cannot ignore any wounds that he causes. 

imo the emperors champion should also ignore invulns and you shouldnt be able to ignore wounds that he causes, and he shouldve gotten the +1 attack when he became primaris. he doesnt need aura abilities but he needs more punching power against characters, or to re roll hits and wounds against everything to make him worth it. hes been power crept and needs some love, like most space marine units/rules.

Against characters he is not bad - but in this times he is weak in comparison to any other champion modell which often ignores wound caps or FnP or Invuls...