New Mexico GW Narrative.

FarFromSam

Hey yall, 

My brother and I are headed to GW Narrative event in NM, and wanted to know if any of yall are planning on attending?    

The event coordinators have said that there will be pods of 10 (5v5? Or maybe 4v4v2 for interlopers?)  Any way, we'll be able to request Pairings with friends, and I thought It'd be a blast to have a proper showing of the First Legion.

Also,  this will be my first venture into crusade and killteam games,  so any advice is welcome on that front.   

Glory to the First, :cuss:.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/2022-warhammer-finale-the-grand-warhammer-40000-narrative-event-tickets-292131762967?aff=odcleoeventsincollection

Edited by farfromsam

Man that event sounds fun... to bad I can't go this year.  Need to keep it on the radar for next year, and get my army painted.

Interesting, you get 150 power roster with no battle honors / scars from previous actions.  And 5 requestion points for extra upgrades like WLT and Relics.  You'll also need to have a good selection of units to play 50 power, 100 power and killteam matches.

I suggest making three 50 power lists that could function well when paired up with both of the other lists.  But maybe have that third 50 power list as spare units that can be substituted if your main units get taken out of action.

It is kind of how I built my Ravenwing lists for crusade.

One of my 50 power lists is Speeder focused.  It is the heavy firepower list, with the weakest weapon being a Heavy Bolter.  It has enough firepower to drop a Knight turn 1.  The second 50 power list is Bike focused.  A lot of close combat elements, really getting in and wrecking shop up close.  These elements work well when combined, and also fit into a single Outrider detachment, so that in the 100 power game I'm not burning CP on extra detachments.

I recommend building your lists around minimizing the number of detachments required.  That extra HQ, elite or heavy support choice might be nice, but is it really worth the cost of 3+ CP?  So my two 50 power outrider detachment lists both satisfy the 1 HQ and 3 Fast Attack units minimum, and combined don't have more than 2 HQ and 6 Fast Attack units that would force me into a second detachment. 

The third 50 power list I'm still working on with my Crusade list, but for the most part is Phobos and Deathwing units.  As it stands now this allows me to play smaller 25 point Combat Patrol detachment games.  This section of the list I'm focused on area denial, action scoring, and counter offensive units.

I also tend to build units that fit into certain power level blocks so that I can easily swap our units depending upon mission objectives.  So for example I can trade out a Tornado squadron (12) for 2 Outriders (6) or Invaders (12) or 2 Eliminator (4) plus 2 Attack Bikes (2).

You also tend to make different decisions with Crusade over matched play games.  For example Attack Bikes vs Invaders.  3 attack bikes is 6 power and 3 invaders is 12 power.  But survivability on the Invaders is a lot higher than the Attack Bikes between double the wounds and access to THP.  So the Invaders will end up staying with at least 1 alive by the end of the game whereas your attack bikes will likely be rolling out of action every game.  For my crusade games my unit of 3 invaders has never been taken off the board, but I always lose 1 which would have been at least 2 attack bikes.  The more games a unit participates in and survives the faster they will rack up battle honors.

If your goal is to get the MVP of the tournament, then a thing you can do that kinda breaks the spirit of the game is focus most of your attention to your first 50 power list and field those units in every game you can.  Focus all of your Requisition points on keeping those units in the fight.  As much as possible.  If those units are in every game, they get the free exp for each match, they will rack up the bonus exp for killing 3 units, and they will be on the board gaining exp for agendas.  At home playing crusade with your friends, don't do this.  But at an event where you are likely to have other tournament players doing the same, go for it.  That core 50 power list will hover up most of your honors and rack up bonuses fast.

Running that same 50 power list every game then by the end of game 3 you will have the following assuming you have 5 units in that list.  Every unit will have 3+ exp just from games played.  3 units will have MVP, forcing a level and gaining a battle honor each.  At least 1 of your other 2 units will have an extra battle honor, relic or WLT from one of the missions you ran.  And the last unit will have enough kills and agendas collected for them to have the 3+ exp for them to also gain a level and pick up a battle honor.  If you have 4 units which are high damage output units and are playing against MSU lists, you could potentially get all 4 a battle honor in 2 games.