Deathguard *spoilers* questions

What is the stance on deathguard?

Would they not be plaugemarines by the time they reach tera? Im currently reading the horus heresy books. Not gone too far yet but is my understanding that they would be more transformed by the boons of nurgle more then the other legions at a early stage?

So does it not fit thenarrative that they would be allready tainted by the corruption when they face other legions?

This just questions i have. I am not sure how this all works.

Edited by Bustaholic

*potential spoilers* I can't remember exactly but I think what roughly happens to them is they get caught in a warp storm, the legion succumbs to horrific plague and disease and are in agony. Nurgle offers Mortarion the chance to end the pain of his warriors and he accepts, thus the pact is formed and their pain ends but they are pledged to Nurgle. 

Warhawk covers this.

Spoiler

They’re corrupted bu the time they reach terra and are starting to exhibit the traits we see in the 40k DG. They’re still getting used to/coming to terms with things in many ways though.

Edited by lost_angel

The short story "Daemonology" covers the beginnings of Mortarion's dabbling with the Warp. The effects of this start to be visible in "Vengeful Spirit" which is roughly the half-way point in the Heresy. The deal is sealed in "The Buried Dagger" which is literally just before the Siege of Terra.

They would appear mostly normal for around the first half of the Heresy with increasing signs of corruption during the second half. They don't go full-on Plague Marine until the Siege.

43 minutes ago, Bustaholic said:

Yra but were doese that leve us in the board game?

Pre demonic mid or full on?

My head cannon says mid and leaning towards full on here and there. If you’re looking for advice or justification on fielding particular minis - such as the 40k DG - then there’s certainly some scope for it. Myself, I’d avoid some of the more extreme 40k examples - those dudes have been around for 10k years now with mutations to match - but many SoT DG would be a step away from the standard look. 

18 hours ago, Bustaholic said:

What is the stance on deathguard?

Would they not be plaugemarines by the time they reach tera? Im currently reading the horus heresy books. Not gone too far yet but is my understanding that they would be more transformed by the boons of nurgle more then the other legions at a early stage?

So does it not fit thenarrative that they would be allready tainted by the corruption when they face other legions?

This just questions i have. I am not sure how this all works.

Their ships are filled with noxious miasma, disease runs rampant among crews, and the marines themselves become subtly ponderous in thought and bearing.

However, they don't truly chonk up to plaguemarine status until they exit warpspace over Terra. Before, the corruption is invisible.

Edited by The Scorpion

18 hours ago, Bustaholic said:

Would they not be plaugemarines by the time they reach tera? Im currently reading the horus heresy books.

Keep reading, your question wil be answered! 

But yea, as the topic is spoilered anyway: Classic lore is that the DG got becalmed in the warp en route to terra and mysterious diseases such as the destroyer plague unleashed by Typhus rampaged through the marines, crippling and debilitating them, but not killing them. The legion essentially became one with eternal suffering and pain until Morty could take it no longer and begged for salvation from the gods of the warp. Nurgle answered, and in traditional monkey paw style, didn't cure the diseases, but just made the marines uncaring of them and immune to the pain. 

By the time they appear at Terra:

Spoiler

They're all full plague marines, disgusting resilience and all, and mortarion has become a full daemon prince - from Saturnine and probably First Wall. 

For models I use both the new HH, new as in the last ten years lol,  and my old plague marines I repainted to match the Death Guard colors. One of the reasons I picked them as a legionnwas that I've played them since 3.5 Chaos book but now I use them as late era so there isn't an issue style wise. 

32 minutes ago, Brother Sutek said:

I've played them since 3.5 Chaos book but now I use them as late era so there isn't an issue style wise

Absolutely cool to do - I have a lot of 3.5 Iron Warriors, and they're small enough and sufficiently less chaosy than current Chaos models (hell, they're less chaosy than official HH Night Lords and Word Bearers models) that they could happily be used in HH

Pre siege the death guard were basically extremely similar to their crusade era look. Mortarion only indulged in the sorcery as last resorts and still fought against the idea of using any sorcery or daemons; any lore was kept sealed and contained as best they could.

Even during the siege they weren't full on plague marine (well, at least as of Warhawks time), they were just starting to change, as shown below666333438_Screenshot_20221104-0758442.thumb.png.abeec0b3ae2107ef21882723af825edb.png

Basically all the books chris wright does touches on the dynamic.

Very true and  it's a personal preference but I prefer the smaller scale models, the metal ones in particular are beautiful.  I really love the old mono pose plague marines but that is partially nostalgia glasses. I was given some of the new plague marine models but they are terribly busy and huge! They work for 40k but not sure what I can use them as, even as Veterans they will be tough to convert. Any ideas are welcome.

It also depends on which Death Guard force you play and where they are deployed. Not all DG traveled with Mortarion and not all of the current HH game takes place in the Sol system. E.g. the HH game we se being played in WD take place on Barbarus.

2 hours ago, Gamiel said:

It also depends on which Death Guard force you play and where they are deployed. Not all DG traveled with Mortarion and not all of the current HH game takes place in the Sol system. E.g. the HH game we se being played in WD take place on Barbarus.

Thats a good point. The forces with typhus have a far more likely hood of being corrupted during the heresy, while the garrison forces not with the primarch on the way to terra shouldn't* be affected. 

*Depending on the nature of the he bargain.

4 hours ago, Brother Sutek said:

I was given some of the new plague marine models but they are terribly busy and huge! They work for 40k but not sure what I can use them as, even as Veterans they will be tough to convert. Any ideas are welcome.

I feel your pain, my friend. I like to convert 40k stuff for 30k, but didn’t see much I could do with plague marines - certainly not the ETB ones. If you look in the multipart kit it seems there are a few less corrupted torsos, and mixing in mkiii heads would also take the focal point away from tentacles etc, but seems like a lot of work for not much gain.