Wheeled Leagues of Votann Vehicles

A quick look on the wheeled vehicles of the Leagues.

The Sagitaur all terrain vehicle (the name being an amalgam of the Latin words sagittarius, meaning archer, and taurus, bull) can fit half a squad inside it. Ruleswise, it is the first vehicle in 40k where you can mount one squad in a couple of vehicles, if I understood it right. It's got a nice evolved mooncar explorer look, complete with crash bar cages. This helps give the Squats a distinct vehicle style, clearly from the same routes as Imperial stock, but with a very different impression given. When you see Imperial vehicles, you think world wars. When you see new Squat vehicles, you think rugged explorers and space miners.

sINgSIw.png

The big vehicle realease this edition is the Hekaton Land Fortress. I was surprised when they went for the same route as with the Sagitaur, only bigger (as in a large arctic explorer vehicle, complete with lab and living quarters). I would have prefered something built around a heavier artillery cannon or big rock drill, but I can see what they are going for here.

More to the point, however, is the matter of future releases. This first wave introduce a full compact army range, stretching from infantry, heavy infantry, some small robots, close combat berzerkers, gravtrikers, and light and heavy combat vehicles.

It has not touched on such things as flyers and large walkers or big robots, nor has it yet delved into large artillery or rock-drilling vehicles.

Look closer to the left in the second reference sheet here. That is clearly a rail coupling. A lovely hint of things to come.

The Hekaton Land Fortress is meant to act as locomotive for a future Squat land train. Expect more specialized vehicles to show up in the future. I am very curious how this range will evolve with future releases.

VrSQ5Ka.png

j4K5obH.png

Cheers

5 hours ago, Karak Norn Clansman said:

The Sagitaur all terrain vehicle (the name being an amalgam of the Latin words sagittarius, meaning archer, and taurus, bull) can fit half a squad inside it. Ruleswise, it is the first vehicle in 40k where you can mount one squad in a couple of vehicles, if I understood it right. 

Wasn´t it already the case for the Archeopter Transvector form Skitarii´ armies?

On the other side I would not compare the Hekaton with the Land Train. For me these are distinct concepts as the Land Train wagons were able to transport brotherhoods and not squads. A kind of upper scale.

As far as the grav thing is concerned, sure it reminds Matrix´ vessels. Another "inspiration"?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 3:23 PM, TheVoidDragon said:

I really don't like the idea of the Hekaton becoming the new Land Train, I know that "Land Trains" are a real thing of a vehicle pulling several trailers/carriages, but to me part of what made the original so cool was that it was also like an actual train.

Well, the Hekaton would only be the Locomotive part of the train - and there may be several wagons with different loadouts that can be pulled. At the risk of making a ginormous model. One of them might even be a buffet car. 

Hekaton having a connector on the back does not guarantee there will be additional sections added on.

Votann models have a lot of little utilitarian flourishes, like carabiners and steel cables with hooks on them, or eye hooks on the bottom of Pioneer bikes. The hookup on the land fortress may simply be intended to convey that it could be used to haul more sections rather than actually having it there for additional section models.

Edited by phandaal

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 2:15 PM, phandaal said:

Hekaton having a connector on the back does not guarantee there will be additional sections added on.

Votann models have a lot of little utilitarian flourishes, like carabiners and steel cables with hooks on them, or eye hooks on the bottom of Pioneer bikes. The hookup on the land fortress may simply be intended to convey that it could be used to haul more sections rather than actually having it there for additional section models.

This.

Although it would be lovely to have a trailer for it, the kind the Necromunda cargo hauler has, maybe smaller (and it could be used for mission objectives etc.).

Also, regarding wht the OP said about future releases, I'm hoping for the flyer/anti-grav biggie to look rugged and to the point. Almost can (want, really) see a  reduced Mi24 with anti-grav "thrusters" like those on bikes but only much bigger (yes it would be kind of a "Matrix" Hind).

• 3 months later...

We shall see. ;)

Bonus quote from ashur on Chaos Dwarfs Online:

This is terrifyingly good! They are like robots without their builders. Now they keep going without asking what is the purpose of what they do. They work to endure and endure to work, without anything to break the cycle.

And yet they brew alcohol, share jokes and enjoy battle songs, so maybe the Ancestors failed to completly dehumanize them. It’s depressing and heartwarming, depending on your point of view.

Two pictures of interest to Kin background, and of interest as aesthetic inspiration.

One pleasant surprise in the Leagues of Votann vehicle kits is the consistent stretched hexagonal patterning on the inside of armour panels and doors. Barely any of it is visible once the model is assembled. Thus a nice touch playing up the Squats' uncut roots back to the Dark Age of Technology:

oXgpoKy.png

And speaking of a theme of space exploration and resource extraction, this Starcraft-themed Leagues of Votann army display board is simply gorgeous.

FNzvih6.png

I am surprised how well an aesthetic take not too dissimilar to Starcraft Terrans works for Squats. Yes, there should be more Dwarf details and especially more rotund physique and enormous beards. But the basic idea works a lot better in practice than it would have seen if it was proposed in text only.

And best of all, GW grasped the opportunity to tie a piece of the 40k setting back in with humanity's Dark Age of Technology, with both hands. Surprisingly able hands. Fits excellently.

Future miniature releases and background snippets would do well to explore mining drills, artillery and some form of hefty Squat walker or robot.

That Starcraft diorama is gorgeous! :O

if I'd ever so models myself, I'd go the same path. Votann are obviously re-inspired by Blizzards work on the Terrans. Thus, either the Umojan Protectorate or the Kel-Morian Combine would be my pick. 

Here's hope for a siege tank equivalent for the Kyn. :)

Fingers crossed for some kind of siege tank artillery! Who would have guessed that Starcraft Terrans and space Dwarves could marry so well?

I especially love how the Starcraft-esque design contrasts with Imperial technology. GW managed to make many pieces of weaponry familiar, yet different and more refined for the Kin. Excellent choice to tie-in Squats with DAoT and play up the rugged decrepitude of the Imperium by comparison.

My budding Squat force is based on the Kel-Morian Combine, by the way. A slow burn heavy on conversions.