Weird question about Imperial Knights/Agents of the Imperium

Lord_Ikka

So I was randomly browsing WarCom downloads and downloaded the Rogue Trader and Navy Breacher sheets. Something that caught my eye is that both the Rogue Trader herself and the Voidsmen/Naval Breachers are Agents of the Imperium in addition to being Navis Imperialis.

Looking at the Knight rules, the only benefit they lose if they soup is the Code Chivalric. Code Chivalric specifically states that every unit in the army has to be an Imperial Knight aside from Agents of the Imperium or Unaligned.

Agent of the Imperium has the whole include 1 per patrol/battalion/brigade and it doesn't use up a slot or have the detachment lose any specific rules, the normal Agent rules- but it doesn't say that the Agent keyword goes away if you take the unit in a Detachment that uses one of their other keywords.

So in this case, could I take a detachment of Navis Imperialis alongside a Knight Super-Heavy Detachment without losing any benefits? Am I missing something that wouldn't allow this (totally possible)?

Edit- Saw the issue. Due to the Rogue Trader's Master and Commander rule, you can't take it in a compulsory Battlefield Role, which means that there isn't a way to do a Navis Imperialis detachment as there is no HQ choice. Unless Agent of the Imperium just works as a sub-Faction keyword (maybe, don't know if anyone has pushed this?), because then you could take an Inquisitor as the HQ for an Agents of the Imperium patrol/brigade with Voidsman squads as the Troops. Ugh, I'm tired and going to go to bed. Thanks for looking at my ramblings!

Edited by Lord_Ikka

2 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

So in this case, could I take a detachment of Navis Imperialis alongside a Knight Super-Heavy Detachment without losing any benefits? Am I missing something that wouldn't allow this (totally possible)?

The Agent of the Imperium rule states:

If your army is Battle-forged, you can include one AGENT OF THE IMPERIUM unit in each IMPERIUM (excluding FALLEN units) Patrol, Battalion and Brigade Detachment in your army without those units taking up Battlefield Role slots in those Detachments. 

Since a Knight Lance is not a Patrol, Battalion or Brigade, the AOTI rule does not apply so you cannot add a single "free" unit without taking up a slot. 

However, I think you can take a Patrol detachment since as you point out, AOTI does not break faction bonuses such as the Code Chivalric. You would have to take an Inquisitor as your compulsory HQ since I think AOTI is a valid faction keyword. You would have to pay the 2CPs for the Patrol Detachment. Is it worth it for a squishy Troop unit and moderate Psyker? I do not know. What is it that you want to the Voidsmen to accomplish?

I was going to use them for RND and/or mission actions that Knights are terrible for. Unfortunately the Rogue Trader can't be a mandatory HQ choice, and Inquisitors don't have Agents of the Imperium as a Faction keyword like the Voidsman/Breachers, just a keyword. So it doesn't work.